4 stroke running in

JC

Hi all

I have searched the web but cannot find any info on how to run in a 4 stroke ringed engine, I'm waiting for a new SC 70 FS to be delivered and if it is anything like my last SC engine there will be no real instruction in the box regarding running the engine in. The guys at the club are allways very helpful but the language barrier (even though my German is good) can get in the way and I really would like to learn these techniques for my self.

As usual all and any help is welcome

Ok just found the instructions for my SC 40 2 stroke and these have quite detailed directions on how to run in an SC 4 stroke. But please any advice welcome.

Edited By JC on 24/02/2010 20:39:38

Advert

I think you'll find quite a few different opinions on running in, not so much so for 4 strokes but still quite varied. I would suggest sticking to the manufacturers instructions if you are not sure - its them you will be taking up any dispute with if the motor isn't run in according to their documentation !

Ed

hello jc-when you get the settings near to the mark-with the first tank of fuel-i would fly it straight away...instead of ground running.......dont go daft with the throttle for the first 6 flight's.and that'll be it...........one happy engine and owner......and dont 'fiddle' with the slow running needle until it's had 6 tank's of fuel...and then only small adjustment's......if your not 100% happy send it to me..........asap.....    ..

ken anderson....... 

Agree with the advice you've been given. If you research it, there are one or two variations on the theme but they all have the requirement for an initial rich fuel setting. Its surprising how rich you can set a 4 stroke and still run it (clouds of smoke!). One more thing: once you've finished the initial run-in as per instructions, the most important adjustment you can make is setting the low speed needle correctly. Makes the world of difference to the way the engine handles.

I agree with everyone else. There are four stages to running in a fourstroke:

1. Get it to run reasonably but don't worry about the tick-over, brand new engines won't tick over well anyway.

2. Fly it on a rich setting for six long flights. You may find that the engine cuts in mid air but further running should cure this.

3. After having put six tankfulls of fuel through it, adjust top end for maximum rpm, then enrichen the mixture a bit.

4. Adjust low speed needle for optimum tick over and pick up.

Tidy job. Leave it alone!

Hi Jon,

I ran in an SC52FS last summer with no prior experience of 4-strokes (nor many engines at all come to think of it) just by following the instructions.  They're spartan but appear to work

Sounds lovely too - I'm sure the SC70FS will purr... 

Have fun 

Keith

Posted by Bladerunner on 26/02/2010 17:21:08:
Agree with the advice you've been given. If you research it, there are one or two variations on the theme but they all have the requirement for an initial rich fuel setting. Its surprising how rich you can set a 4 stroke and still run it (clouds of smoke!). One more thing: once you've finished the initial run-in as per instructions, the most important adjustment you can make is setting the low speed needle correctly. Makes the world of difference to the way the engine handles.

As has been pointed out this applies to ringed engines in general. Most modern 4 stroke engines are ringed with few exceptions, so I tend to place them all into that category.