Help starting out with gliders

I have been thinking about having a go a gliding, the idea is if it's to windy for my ic models then maybe there is an alternative - gliders.
I have no idea what type of model is best to start off with,  powered or  non-powered .I live in Gwent, South Wales so there is no shortage of hills to "throw" it off ( I know there is a bit more to it than that ) 
I use a Futaba 6EX 2.4 radio, is this ok to use or not? It's obvious that I have no idea about this side of model flying, so i'm just after a rough idea of models and costs etc. I have been lead to believe that a few guys at my club enjoy this side of the  hobby and I am making enquires about contacting these, but for now any advice would be welcome.
  Thanks. 

Advert

Futaba six channel is more than adequate as it would cope with elevator, rudder, ailerons and flaps.

Go for a 60" Wildthing if you have room in the car as they do fly better than the 46".

Set up elevon mixing and use the elevator dual rate function to reduce the "elevator" movement of the elevons.

Two standard full size servos needed and about four hours from start to flying.

Oh for gods sake guys.....Wildthing, wildthing, wildthing......
There are actually other models in the world you know.
Open your mind a bit and find out a bit more info first. If Phils a jet jockey, 3d pilot or heli man he's gonna nod off while flying a wildthing!

Come on then Phil - Are you a 'builder' or a 'flier' and what is your flying ability with a powered model?

Andy
(hoping you're not a novice who needs a wildthing.....)

Edited By Slopetrashuk on 04/03/2010 18:47:55

big phil-up here in the land that time forgot-i started to fly glider's 2 year's ago-this after flying ic for the previous 18 year's....i had heard people on about it and after giving it a go i bought a 'zagi' by j perkins.....it is a flying wing and cost in the region of £34.00..can be built ready to fly in a couple of night's...uses two servo's and is very forgiving when you hit the groung etc......my recomendation to you ...have Fun..

ken anderson..ne 1.

Thanks chaps, i must admit I would like to build at some time, but for now ARTF is for me. At the moment I fly a Big Stk 60  and a Panic bipe, not quite a novice but still only a few steps up the learning ladder.
 I will take a look at what has been suggested, may thanks.   BP 

Edited By Big Phil on 04/03/2010 20:24:01

I'm also voting for the Wildthing 60. 

It's virtually indestructible, can fly in winds of 10mph to 25mph, can be any colour you like, is responsive, and the most fun to be had by males over 50!

To counter this glowing summary,  it doesn't penetrate well in higher winds and isn't the most efficient glider.

Just to be totally offbeat, an EasyStar is suprisingly good as a slope trainer. 

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 04/03/2010 18:46:51:
Oh for gods sake guys.....Wildthing, wildthing, wildthing......
There are actually other models in the world you know.
Open your mind a bit and find out a bit more info first. If Phils a jet jockey, 3d pilot or heli man he's gonna nod off while flying a wildthing!

(hoping you're not a novice who needs a wildthing.....)

Edited By Slopetrashuk on 04/03/2010 18:47:55

is this weasel de ja vu ..............

Hey Andy, How's it going? Getting down to your place about once a week atm. Must drop in for a brew.......
Weasel de ja vu? No not really.
Can't imagine anything worse though that an experienced flier wanting to cross over to the best flying discipline and ending up with a basic model and a limited flight envelope when they could have had much more.
I've had first time slopers (long time power fliers) on the hills before and once they get used to the whole crosswind thing (after like 10 minutes) they're ripping about with 3m mouldies like they own the place!

Andy

So Phil, You live by the fastest mountains in the UK, fly a panic biplane and want an ARTF glider........
Slope soarers are generally split into two 'classes'. Foamies and Crunchies. Or more simply models that don't bounce well and models that do.
True slope soaring ARTF models tend to fall into the crunchy category. These are split once again into woodies and mouldies, or again if you prefer, traditionally built models and composite built models. Composites fly the best but don't crash well, woodies crash better and fly great but don't bounce as well as foamies.
I would not advise any newcomer to slope to have a mouldie as his first slope soarer, not until he as least got the knack of landings and how the slopes work. Models like the Stargazer however can take a Panic biplane flier onto the hillside in a couple of hours and give him something he can aerobat around. Other artf gliders like the searcher series tend to be more thermal soarer orientated and true ARTF slope gliders in the traditionally built format are really quite hard to find.
There are however some good ARTF foamies (the Wild thing is by far from ARTF as are most slope soaring foamies) but these are newer Elapor type models (the easy glider and the weasel evo) and can also be thrown together very quickly and don't require covering. Trouble with those is that their performance is limited in bigger winds and on even the smaller of the gwent hills the compression up the slope will increase the wind speed on the lip (where you will launch) even though the laminar air might be moving quite slowly. These are not the days you say you're looking to go slope soaring.
If however you are prepared to knock out a foamie build (PU glues, fibre tape covering and a chunk of profilm) there are loads of models you can chose from, including the wild things and the Zagi's.

You might however consider picking up a second hand model from your mates if you really want to get into the air quickly and fly that until you decide on where you want your slope soaring to take you. Probably best at this stage to hool up with them and go have a fly. You will have a much clearer picture at the end of the day.

Andy

I'm new to gliding, started out late last year, I bought a Stargazer 2 and I'm happy with it, got me started, I've just bought a second hand Luna to progress a bit more. I'm not new to RC, flew Helis about 12 years ago.

The Stargazer 2 flies nicely, I've not dumped it yet and would want to as it doesn't feel that strong, there again you can pick up a new one for just over £50.

Wildthing gets my vote for testing new slopes, chuck, crash, chuck again...............

If going conventional a Chris Foss Middle Phase knocks spots off the Stargazer.

Be warned though, you say just a glider for when it's too windy for power, before you know it you will have a fleet.....................