OS max FP .40

Phil 9

I have a OS max FP .40 engine

Due to a crash most of the fins were broken from the cylinder head.

I have looked for a replacement but have not been able to find one as OS do not make this engine anymore

Can anyone tell me the they know of a replacement head that will be compatible with this engine.
Or can I run it as it is with no heat dispersing fins. it still starts ok but I am a little worried it might over heat.

Edited By Phil B on 17/03/2010 10:08:01

Advert

I bought a Magnum 40 in the early 90s.  That was a clone of the OS FP 40 to the extent that most parts were interchangeable - according to a French magazine review.  However it's probably more difficult to find spares for the Magnum, unless you're looking to get a whole engine cheap on ebay or somewhere to use the head?  I don't think that particular Magnum 40 was manufactured for very long - they seemed to change the model range fairly frequently.

I assume you've tried Just Engines and John Haytree for spares?  Maybe a wasted ad here or in the BMFA classified might find you a damaged FP40 with intact head you could use?

I am awaiting a reply from just engines but have not heard of John Haytree.

I did buy another FP 40 from ebay to use as spares. I got it but it is in wondefull condition and I dont want to break it up.

My original damaged engine could be used as spares but for the sake of this one part I would have two very good engines.

But maybe this model is just now obsolete and I should use what I have untill it breaks then scrap it. It just seemed a bit of a waist

Edited By Phil B on 17/03/2010 10:30:11

Phil B, here is an address of Pete's Parts in USA, he has every older engine OS parts, new and S/H, give him a go he is very reasonable, if that dosn't help I have a couple that no longer require      [email protected] he does have WWW. site ......?
I was chasing some OS FS120 parts a while ago, emailed him ......yep  got them ... and now my old motor is a good as .........yea,......... hope this helps
A.A. Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 17/03/2010 10:43:16

Yep found it

Pete's Hobbies/Precision RC Products
Engine Parts -New and Used for OS, Super Tiger, Thunder Tiger, Zenoah
! Align, Ace, TT. Raptor, Century, Quick, GohBee, Heli Kits and Parts !
Precision RC Products "The Greaser" Gear Pin Locks Push Rod Kits more
DN and Tenergy Lipos and chargers
web: http://www.petesrc.com   or  http://www.peteshobbies.com
email: [email protected] ph#: 616-245-3106
address: 
Pete's Hobbies or Precision RC Products
585 VanAllen
Wyoming

Phil, did you lift the cyl liner at all, ?? there is a very small pin locating the liner to case,, when bolting down the head, did the screws seem a long time to "seat" ? pull the head off again and look for the pin and locating "notch", the pin can be pushed into the head, if you have got it wrong,
Don't worry about trying to extract the pin, line it up and screw the head back down
A.A. Barry

The motor starts fine and I thought was running fine. But on take off it just did not pull the model up to speed. It got of the ground just but struggled.

I guess I will just have to wait for my gasket set to turn up and give it another try

First question.  Can you run it with damaged heat fins?  Yes.  Nice to have but not absolutely necessary.  Engine may run a little hotter but it will do okay.

Second question.  Loss in power?  Two  things,  (a) check for air leaks.  Back plate maybe loose.  And (b) check to see if it has a "Nitro" shim in it.  If you got the replacement part from the states it is likely to have the shim which decreases the engines compression to adjust for the higher nitro we tend to use in the US.  If you are using a high nitro fuel say 10% don't bother with it.

These little engines are just air pumps and need to be well sealed up.  Leaks cause problems.

Cheers,

Chip

Edited By William Morrison on 04/04/2010 17:08:59