Car Insurance, is it worth changing?

flytilbroke

Well now, I can answer that question, emphatically YES.

As I am exchanging cars on Monday I needed an Insurance change. The company I am about to leave wanted an Extra £137:00 above what I was quoted for my 2010/2011 Fiat Doblo insurance cover. Hmm.

Did a search on Go Compare and got a whole bunch of quotes, mainly from Companies I knew of. The first 24 quotes were MUCH lower for the same cover for my new to me car. I am going La-De-Da,,,,, a Range Rover Freelander.

When I went back to my current insurers to cancel as of midnight Monday,, wow they wanted to give me a better quote. TOO SLOW to late says I. Only getting a £15:00 rebate after cancellation, still better in my pocket than thiers.

Might be short on space, time will tell. It will give me peace of mind and hopefully no more dig it out on grassy fields towing my caravan. Or even getting a tow-out  embarassed

Advert

I believe they do an insurance disc in the Republic of Ireland.
However that does not mean they are necessarily insured.
If you watch any of the police TV programs you will notice a lot of people default on their DD payments which means they are not insured.

And as for cheating, which would you prefer to be hit by, and uninsured driver or a cheat??
Lets face it, I am only playing them at their own game.
I have not had an accident in many many years so I should be really cheap to insure.

I always shop around every singe year, it may take an hour on the phone or computer once a year but it usually saves me over ?100. Once I've got the quote, I go back to original insurer and they match or beat it by a fiver. Why they just can't do this in the first place is frustrating but it works out in the end.

The thing about insurance is that you might be the best driver in the world but you never know what will happen.
For example, you are travelling on a motorway and a brick falls off a truck, severely injures somebody in your car, you lose control, the car is written off,  the truck is never traced, are you pleased that you have insurance, or not. Etc. etc.

Well I did the GoMoneyMeerkat thing recently and virtually halved the premiums on my car and the house - so I ended up with the car insured by Marks and Sparks and the house insured by Sheilas Wheels - how does that work??????????????

Oh and SAGA should be ashamed of themselves trying to rip off us old folk!

Edited By Wingman on 19/03/2010 22:59:08

years ago, i hit an errant cyclist while going round a roundabout he was not hurt apart from bumps and bruises but still managed to claim £1400 from my insurance. i was deemed to be the guilty party because a witness said he was signalling to turn left, but he turned left then signalled and i hit him. the point is my premiums were about £140 a years so that was ten years worth gone in one small accident.