Kit suitable for a 26cc petrol

Reno Racer

Hi all,

Having converted go electric many moons ago, all my airframes are electric, mostly 40-60 sized. Generally, these are sport models, although I'm about to start a BUSA Bristol M-1C, which i will lighten and power by a 60 size electric on 4-6S Lipos. 

Anyhow, I've just bought a 26cc petrol from HobbyKing and am looking to find a suitable airframe for it. I do like the 1/4 scale Fokker D8 from BUSA, but not sure how well she flys. That said, I don't like WW1 types that waggle their back end in turned and cross winds. Similarly, I don't like complicated Biplanes rigging, simply plug in wings or monoplanes are my preference. 

I am pretty open on what to get, but can't decide. I don't mind a long build and would prefer this (stronger airframe than matchstick ARTFs!). I would like an easy flying warbird (WW1 or 2) or a good scale civilian job.

I've been looking at the Glen Models Maule, BUSA Fokker D8 and a Clipped wing Cub. As you can see, I prefer a light wing loading and easy flying with gentle aerobatics.

The problem is I can't decide on what to get; I don't want to spend months building a cracking scale project only to not like how she flies, or worse pile her into the ground on her maiden.

What do you all reckon?????

Advert

Hi Ackers,

Proctor 1/4 scale kits are fantastic. You might like to have a look at their Fokker E111 monoplane.
Also, Arizona Model Aircrafters do a large range of 1/4 scale goodies, though, I dont find the quality so good

ernie

Lindsay,

Thanks, your P-47 looks a peach; I presume she flies well - nice and stable like all P-47s, I will do a search to find one and compare prices.

Ernie, not heard of Proctor, but will start googling after this. Arizona seems very good, but very expensive. Flair and Balsa USA seem more my price range.

The more I research (spend hours on the t'interweb,annoying my wife), the Fokker D8, seems to have some bad flying tendencies.

Against my dislike of rigging, I decided to plumb for the Balsa USA 1/4 scale Nieuport 11, which is specifically designed to be powered by electric, IC or petrol. £195, so quite a bit of dosh, but has huge presence. The 26cc petrol should be nice a scale like, both in sound and ability to swing a large prop nice and slow (with lots of torque). 

All i need to do now is get more stick time on my Speed Air and WOT4, build the Bristol M1C and get some time on that, then in about a year, fly my Nieuport and hope i don't crash. Mind you i've seen a fair few crashes of WW1 bipes on the internet and all seem to bounce away from it, i suspect its their strength, size and light wing loading thats helps, probably combined with the fact that there not flying that fast.

Anyone got any experience of building/flying one?

Dear all,

I dio like scale civilain models, but want something slightly different; Maule might fill the gap, but I do love the detailing you get/can add on a warbird.

I would appreciate your views on the easiest WW1 warbird to fly, preferably 1/4 scale. 

I know some say the Fokker D7.

Regards in advance

Chris

Come on there must be some good recommendations?

It will be my 4/5th model after Uno Wot, Speed Air, WOT4 Mk3, Edge 540 and Balsa USA Bristol M1C, not counting EDF jets.

I just had a look at the YT website and really fancy their Typhoon, although the cost of all the additional bits (retracts etc) is a bit off putting. 

Still fancy a WW1 warbird though; just can't get out of my head that it would be hard to fly. What's your views on WW1, YT and a good easy to fly warbird in general?

Looking for something that takes a 26cc petrol (or 120 glow), so in the 14lb max AUW, since my 26cc petrol kicks out a max of 19Lbs of thrust and I want some spare oomph.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 23/03/2010 18:28:30

I did like your Cub, looks really nice.

On the classic civilian theme, I'M CONFUSED by choice, Maule 74", BUSA 1/4 scale Cub or T240. 

Would still love a Bipe, damn it might just press order to Pegasus models for a Neiuport 11 or Fokker D8, try and intercept the large package to hide it from my better half and hope for the best.

"I've had it for ages darling, its just been stored in the garage for ages, now I fancy building it after all this time"

Sorry, just double checked, the RCG 26cc (2.6HP/1.95Kw) develops 5.2 Kg, so just over 11Lbs of thrust, not 19! - thought that sounded a bit high.

Therefore looking for an airframe of 8 to 12 Lbs; fingers hanging over either a Fokker D8 or Neiuport 11, both 1/4 scale BUSA kits.

Think you will be lucky to see 12lb or less 1/4 scale my friend.
Posted by Phil B on 23/03/2010 18:31:24:
What do people say about how cubs fly?

I was warned by several club members that most cubs fly with a terrible yarn and you have to input rudder to get them tracking right through turns. I set 50% differencial on the ailerons and mine flys brilliant without rudder

I've never flown a Fokker DVIII but I have one part-complete in the loft. I can't see why one wouldn't fly like any other high-winged monoplane. 

The Fokker DrI or the DVII  are worth considering as neither had much in the way of bracing wires. You'd probably need to use either coupled rudder or or your rudder stick on the transmitter to combat adverse aileron yaw which has been a feature of every biplane I've ever flown, but that's good fun once you've mastered it.

I've always admired the Maule myself but the 12 foot (3.6 metre) wingspan Giant Telemaster first flew on a Zenoah 26 

If you wanted to make a statement like...

Hi Ackers,

I fly a 1/4 scale Cub which weighs 15lbs (lots of detail) on a 26cc petrol and a 18x8 prop. She flys very well with power to spare. Take off is at about three quarters throttle and cruise is at less than half throttle. The engine is a Jen petrol 26cc which I think comes from the same factory (or looks like it) as the RCGF that Als hobbies sell.

With regard to flying her, she flys realy well, it took me about six flights to get her set up the way I wanted her. She does need rudder in the turns to keep everything in line but you can mix that in on the TX if you dont want to do it manually, although its a good skill to learn especially if you want to fly WW1 types. I've also got 50% differencial on ailerons to stop the adverse yaw. If you turn using rudder and slight opposite aileron the turns are wonderfully flat, just like the full size.

Here are some pics:-

If your interestead in a good ARTF WW1 type then YT do a nice Nieuport 28 which will fly well on a 26cc.

Good luck with your choice.

Clive

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your responses and pictures of some cracking aircraft

I took the plunge and bought a 1/4 scale Balsa USA Neiuport 11, recommended engine is 23cc petrol, so my rcgf 26cc should be fine, auw is about 12lbs. Moving to US in Aug, so don't want to start building now, just in case she gets damaged during the move.

This is really annoying, particularly since the big box and the rcgf engine is sat on top of the wardrobe looking at me every morning when i wake up.

I.m considering getting a 90 size ARTF to put the engine in now to get used to operating petrol engines; seagull yak looks good and is very cheap.