FMS P-51 Mustang chat

ericrw

• 1 month later...
Advert

On connecting the retract servos on my FMS Mustang, I found that one of them was a dud!   As I will now be having to buy another set of two, I would like to know of, not too expensive, what to buy for this model?   I find that sites such as Servo Shop, a bit confusing, with my lack of knowledge, as to what specification I should be considering for my retracts.   Any advice/suggestions appreciated.   Thanks Eric.

Thanks David,  Unfortunately, with the many variations of servo's available, I need guidence in choosing the correct servo.      For eg, dimensions I can work out but  torque or speed is another matter.   When I go to "Servo Shop" , I just see a mass of different numbers and types of servo's and not being technically minded, it just throws me.   If you can help further it would be appreciated !!   Eric.

• 1 month later...
Hello All,
Just jointed this forum and noticed this thread, as I have just bought the P51 in yellow nosecone, my brother has the red one as your photo.

I have not flown mine yet, but there are several differences,
1. The retracts on my model work on a servo worm gear and lock up & down with no play and are a very well engineered piece of kit. My brother has the 'old' type worked by a servo and have a lot of play when down. he is looking at buying a set of the worm gear from CML.
2. The motor on mine has a built in lock for the plate for the spinner, my brothers does not and is a pain to lock up.

I will be flying mine on wednesday, and I will put it through its paces, and report on here if it falls to bits in flight.

I have now fitted Hitec-82 MG servos as per the modification suggested by CML, see my thread dated June 6th, under FMS Mustang.   There is an improvement and the u/c stays locked in the down position but I still get a bit of droop even though I put in 150% travel adjust on my transmitter.    Is it possible to get a flush fitting ??? Eric.

Eric,

I resorted to gluing a magnet into the wheel well and one to the under cart leg to hold up flush. Works well, but you need to check that your servos can break the bond to get the u/c down. I had to play around for a bit to get the attraction just right. If you have an old brushless motor that you have destroyed (like me!) you have a plentiful supply of magnets.

Or you might be able to shim the inboard retract fixings to angle the retracted leg up further into the well.

How do most people transport their Mustangs in their car - take one or more wings off?

This does seem a bit fiddly so I was thinking of making the wing one piece, held on with the four fixing screws, plus matbe a stong magnet. I would fly it 'scale' so not too much negative g would be involved.

• 6 months later...
Well at long last I maiden my Mustang, yesterday. She flew extemely well,according to fellow flyers on the day but it left me with a "dry mouth" just as I used to get when I first began to fly r/c. No doubt due, because it was my first time to control a low wing model. Unfortunately, on my third landing the grass tore the retractable gear away from it's housing. Easily to done as it is a foam model.

Knowing him, he probably has. I will ask next time I see him.
I must say the Eflite retracts are great.

Not sure what's happening, but when I click on anything in the tool bar at the top of the reply post my screen turns light blue and I get a red circle with a line through it. Whats that all about.. ??

• 1 month later...
My mate flew his Mustang recently. I had a go on the sticks and I must say it was a joy to fly. Lost the tail wheel in flight.

Edited By paul@scc on 20/04/2011 15:32:44

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Dusted down the Mustang today to prep it for flying. I've had it a year but its still unflown due to lack of space in car, until now.

Anyway, connected battery and controls worked fine. Bliped the throttle and the motor made a graunching noise with the prop flicking rapidly one way and then the other. This was followed by smoke from the ESC. Pulled the battery PDQ and cannot see any damage. The motor turns freely by hand, what gives?

Feel like I don't want to trust motor or ESC now, even though they are unused.

Sounds like the controller didnt pick up the motor timing and got the hump. I understand why you might not want to try a different controller, but if you do it really quickly and stop instantly if it doesnt spin properly you can find out! I have read that quite a few people have had issues with these controllers on another forum. I have always done well (touch wood!) with Hobbywing controllers.