Speed 400 Motor

My little boy has a cheap RC boat powered by two RS380 (speed 400) motors.....one has become tempremental so I was going to replace it but which to buy? I know they come in a variety of voltages with 6 & 7.2 Volts being the most common but I don't know which version is currently fitted. Is there a way of telling does any one know?? There are no markings on the case....

FYI the boat runs on a 6 cell NiMh battery so 7.2v would seem the obvious choice. My concern is that I run the risk of burning out the controller if I get it wrong......

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 10/04/2010 15:36:26

Advert

Two new ESCs in fact plus a new radio set up.....it is currently controlled by simply switching the motors on & off.......both together send it forward...only one & it turns!!!!

Converting it to a full brushless set up would be great fun but not cheap & at the end of the day its just a 6 year old toy!!!

I tend to agree with you Timbo...I think the 7V version is the way ahead!!!

Totally agree Simon.....I intended to do just that!!!

If the replacement has a higher kv or is simply more powerful for whatever reason then its simply going to turn the boat even when running in a straight line.

By the way anyone know the best source for these motors?? I keyed "Mabuchi RS380" into Google & it took me to a site in China selling them for $0.65....bit different to the £5 or so we're asked to pay!!!! I doubt they'd want an order for two though!!!

I thought they would be pretty easy to source as a "standard" electric flight item but none of the usual suspects seems to stock 'em....just shows how ubiquitous brushless motors have become....

• 3 months later...

Steve,
   Don't you or any of your pals have a pair of motors in their parts box?
   Any thing that is going down to the curb for trash that has a motor in it is torn apart.
   The motor or motors along with any LED's go in my "just in case" box. If you find a pair  
   of motors, mark them so you tell they are a matched set. I sometime find toys with
   good motors in the thrift store that are cheap.
   Denny

Steve,  as you've just discovered, these things are (or were!) produced in China by the million, at almost zero cost, in multiple variations, with very little clue on the motor as to which version you had. 

For a boat you probably want the higher (7.2) voltage motor.  As I recall, for electric flight can motors were pushed rather hard (6v motor run on rather more than 6v!) to get the power required for flight.  This tended to make their life rather short...  My first leccy heli had a brushed 400 motor.  The motor lasted just over an hour,  by which time the brushes were totally "shot."

Thanks for the commennts guys......in the end I bought two of these from my LMS....they fitted fine, pull about the same current & have improved the performance of the boat significantly (still not too much for a 6 year old to handle though). I guess they are better quality motors than the typical stuff you get in toys!!!!