Using Li-Po batteries to power your R/C gear

Danny Fenton

Advert

Doug

It appears that to" maintain" them over their (apparently) short life span  you should cross your fingers and hope that someone will come up with a better answer than one of the many fail safe chargers that appear as being the answer to any problems you WILL inevitably encounter ad-infinitum.  In the meantime I reckon a metal buiscuit tin is the way to go BUT check out your home insurance policy as well !

My proper fuel is stored as per health & safety      (thats another boring story though)

A car starter motor can draw up to 200amps and that is a big difference.  However we are talking about a low demand electronic item so I think there is no comparison.  The only Tx I have that accepts dry cells just has a red and green area to show voltage so I can't give the voltage onder load.  My Tx manual gives voltage as 9.6v Ni-Cd or 12v alkaline and the current drain as 250mA so I think the comparison is just nitpicking.  If you find the figures alarming then by all means carry on recharging your cells every time you fly (I had 2 2000mA Nimh's and still had to be careful).

Incidently, My car battery reads 14v+ when fully charged (Idon't know if that supports my case or yours).

Myron a car battery that drops to 8.5 volts whilst cranking the starter be it diesel or petrol, and yes there is a different tolerence for the two types of engine, is knackered assuming that all connections in the relevant circuit are in good order. Why quote figures you know are wrong? and whats more have no relevance to the lipo issue, there are loads of people who've been using lipos or lithium ions for a couple of years or more now with no problems.

SORRY Y'all I was just trying to put things in perspective - never mind the exact voltages/loads etc . I'm glad that one or two or more  are happy with Lipos but you must consider that my scepticism is only based on what i've read about on this very forum & am happy with what I have got used to and know about from my own experience  Isn't that what this hobby is all a bout .Yes I want to use the best that there is available but as I said I'm a little bit sceptical & I know for a fact I'm not the only one  Incidentally for the new- comers on site I wasn't born yesterday & have spent all my life involved in engineering and offshoots of/ & musician & real boat builder & one of the first people in Cornwall to build his own hang glider  & fly it off Perranporth & be 2nd engineer running an oil rig which happened to involve quite a bit of electronics "know how" as well

If you want to talk about specific subjects  ie batteries in better detail    Please feel free to do so  but be careful 'cos Timbo & I know quite a bit

Myron. You do not need to "feel sorry for me" because I have not, as you put it "got many converts"

I am not running a sect. I do not work for the lithium battery industry. I have absolutely nothing to gain personally from others using Lithium batteries, other than perhaps the small benefit derived from mass useage driving down the prices.  I am very happy using LiPos in all my equipment, airborne power, airborne R/C, and transmitters. As stated the voltage difference ( on or off load as the current draw by the average transmitter is only around 150m/a ) between a good condition 8 cell NiMH and a 3s LiPo is very small, and I am quite sure the power regulating system in the tr is quite capable of handling it, and has done so for almost 6 months now in my case.

I'm surprised to see people worrying about half a volt difference between battery types because equipment just isn't that voltage sensitive.  Look at how chargers are perfectly happy with anything between 11 and 15 volts - and that's for the fussiest chargers.  Equipment has to be voltage insensitive because battery voltage varies so much depending on its state of charge.  12V toys and appliances are always designed to cope with at least 13.6V because some alkaline dry cells can be up to 1.7V when very fresh (ie 13.6V for a nominally 12V set).  I bet you could happily run a transmitter at 15 volts.  However, I can understand that people are being extremely cautious given the high cost of transmitters - not to mention all the programming store in them - I sure as h*ll wouldn't want to fry mine!