DX6I

JC

Guys a bit of advice if you please.
 I'm thinking of going 2.4Ghz. I like the look, the price and the features of the DX6I as it does pretty much what my Graupner MX12 does. I'm a bit confused however having read many reviews ect on line. Is this a full range system capable of flying large span gliders at the limit of visibilty?
Also the bind process confuses me: in one video review it stated that the bind plug is fitted to the RX battery channel before the rx is powered up, how then do you power up the rx if you cant fit the battery lead (the bind plug being there allready). Is this radio only suitable for electric aircraft?   What do they mean by no ratchet on the throttle? Do you have to keep pressure on it to prevent it shutting off?
Does any one have experience of the DX6I, good or bad.

Thanks
Jon

Edited By JC on 19/04/2010 18:19:07

Advert

Hi I have just bought a DX6i,  Initially the bind plug is put into the Batt position and the Rx is powered up by plugging the batt into one of the other channels, I believe that the binding action is to connect the "sig" pin of the batt pos to 0v.
In the box when it comes is a ratch spring that you can fit very simply, I think the friction spring is for the Heli types.
The action of binding also sets the fail safes on the Rx so make sure the sticks are in the required positions or you will need to re bind after setting up the servos.
hope this answers your question?
So far I think its a good system.
Tony

Jon,

Yes, the Dx6i is a full range transmitter - it is just that a number of receivers offered by Spektrum have a shorter range for parkflyers etc. It will work at the realistic limit of visibility.

For large gliders some people want to combine flaps and ailerons which is not practical with the Dx6i but, depending on the level of complexity of the control surfaces, there can often be a work-round. I wasn't prepared to pay £150 extra for the seventh channel!

As Tony says, the throttle lever is held by friction rather than a ratchet so you don't have to hold it at a specific position. It's a matter of preference - I have a Dx6i and an Optic 6. One has friction, the other a ratchet - I don't mind either method.

A lot have people are confused by the binding procedure and problems reported are almost invariably due to not following the correct procedure. It's not difficult once you've done it a couple of times.

1.When binding, switch on the Tx and select an unused memory slot.Switch off the TX.

2.Insert the bind plug in the Batt position of the RX.

3.Connect the battery plug to any spare channel and if it is switched, turn it on. The LED's should flash on the receiver module/s.

4.Hold the trainer switch 'on' on the Tx and switch it on. After a short time, which can be up to 10 seconds or so, the LED's on the Rx will stop flashing and remain fully lit, indicating that the system has bound. Release the trainer switch.

5. Remove the bind plug.

6. Switch off the Rx.

7. When you have programmed your model's controls, rebind the system to ensure the throttle and neutral positions are memorised.

I'm very pleased with the Dx6i, despite its few limitations.

Pete

Gents

Thank you for the replies.

I gather that the throttle can be set up as a ratchet as normal ie I can set it at a position and it will stay there.

What is a friction throttle as opposed to a ratchet?

Is the radio suitable to fly medium size IC aircraft?

I totally agree, the extra channel means paying twice the price and  I asssume that flaps/gear can be set to activate from one of the toggle switches as long as the rx has a free channel, is this the case?

And the range of the radio is dependant on the RX not the TX.

Thanks Jon

Edited By JC on 19/04/2010 20:17:52

Friction as opposed to ratchet just means that there is no 'click' or detent as you move the stick. It just moves smoothly, staying where you leave it. I'm flying gliders up to 2.6m span, e-power models up to 80" span and it would cope with larger models than that.

IMHO, it's only when you are getting into the realms of very big models that one must go for the bells and whistles outfits! The Dx6i is quite capable of dealing with the usual range of models.

Re the flaps issue, I have an E-Flite DHC2 Beaver. I have ailerons on two channels (aileron and flap) and I operate the flaps on the 'gear channel'. This means I do not have variable flaps- they are a fixed setting - but I don't find this a problem.

Yes, it's the Rx which dictates the range. I use the AR6200 for most models, an AR500 for an E-Flite Sea Fury and AR6100's for heli's. The first two are full-range Rx's, the AR6100 series are not claimed to have as much range, although Timbo the mod has flown slopers on one without a problem.

As Terry mentions, some people have had a problem with breaking the roller and trim mechanisms. I haven't but perhaps I'm just not ham-fisted enough

Pete

Pete

Thanks again, I have a Kyosho Spit and P51 (thanks Dusty) and I'm about to start on my Seagull Decathlon. Once I get my landings nice and smooth with my Seagull 40 low wing trainer I shall be flying them. I also intend to get a Last Down 3.6m glider later in the year and have had enough of fighting for channels at the club. Given the price of the DX6i I think it will suit my needs. I like the idea of being able to have a spare set of batteries in the box rather than forking out 30 quid for a spare TX pack. At my level fixed flaps will do fine.

Thanks to all for the replies

Jon

PS if the roller breaks I'll send it back and demand that it is repaired.

I have a DX6i and have used in a range of nitro and electric planes and some gliders, it's a great value set, with better programming (IMHO) than the equivalent Futaba set. I've got AR6200 and AR 500 full range Rx's and AR6100 and 6110 park range Rx's all have been absolutley fine, the AR500 seems to take a bit longer to boot up than the other Rx's but thats all.

I have had a couple of the trim levers break on mine, but apparently the newer sets have an improved trim lever. Service from Horizon is first class.

As regards a spare set of batteries for the Tx, I accidentaly left mine switched on overnight and the batteries had not discharged overnight...................................

But it is a bit limited for some gliders, particullarly if you want to set up crow braking, I still use my MPX Sx on my gliders and planes with flaps because the programming is much more powerful.

Jon,

Crow braking is where the ailerons are raised simultaneously (reducing the lift) as the flaps are lowered (to increase the lift). The resulting drag slows the model for landing. Any trim change is programmed in on the elevator at the same time.

The flaps on the Dx6i have two positions, Normal and Land, ie retracted for normal flight and a pre-determined position for landing. They are adjustable for the degree of flap required but this cannot be done in flight.  When I use the 'Gear' channel on my Beaver, I adjust the end point of servo travel to determine the amount of flap.

Pete

Jon

As I noted I have a Dx6i and its a cracking entry radio which is really easy to use, but to get the most out of a high performance glider you might find it lacks some features, you'll be able to fly those gliders and maybe using the free mixes be able to effect some form of crow breaking. I'd try and set the ailerons up as flapperons (or more correctly spoilerons) and then put the flaps on the throttle stick and then mix throttle to flaps to get crow braking, and I can promise if you go to a high performance glider you will use this feature.

For instance on my Mini Blade I have the following set up
1) Crow on the throttle stick (Mode 6 on the Sx radio) with elevator compensation
2) Small amount of flap refex (for speed) and camber (for lift) on the flap slider
3) Aileron-Flap mixing on one of the flight phases, which makes the flaps work with the ailerons to give effectivelly full span ailerons and speeds up the roll rate.

But if you don't plan to go for the higher performance gliders then the Dx6i is a cracking buy and the range of Rx's on offer from Spektrum really good as are the Bind n Fly models. But once (not if ) the gliding bug bites you will find yourself looking at a high performance mouldie and then a Tx to go with it...............................................

Pete

Thank you very much for the explanation. You learn something every day. I thought that flaps slowed the AC down not increased the lift. Does this mean that by deploying flaps on a larger glider all it would do is make it harder to get it on the deck? The reason for my interest in flaps is that our patch is small and has trees on three sides and I thought they would make  it easier to  land a glider. I take it then that fitting spoilers would be a better option, better still crow flaps. When I say larger glider I mean up to 4m span. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

The DX6I would appear to have the same functions as my Graupner MX12 which is all I need, I'm no expert pilot. As long as I can have Aileron,elevator, rudder, throttle and then the two gear/flap toggle switches it will be just right for me.

Frank,  thanks your post came up as I was writing this one. The gliders I like are big and slow.

Thanks for all the replies guys

Jon

Edited By JC on 20/04/2010 19:53:22

Jon

Re your glider, for the flaps to work as brakes you'd need to drop them down to around 70 degrees or so and it would be better to do this on the throttle stick so you can modulate the amount of drag on approach. Another option would be to fit airbrakes and control these from the throttle stick.

But the Dx6i will do all you ask above and more

My avatar is my 3.75m HP-18 landing with full crow on, I retract the flaps just before touch down to stop them getting damaged in the bracken. 

Jon,

Flaps increase the surface area of the wing providing more lift to a extent ! When the flaps are lowered below a certain degree they create more drag than lift!

Lets say for argument sake and keep things simple 5-25 deg of flap will be the optimum lift/drag setting of flap for lift

More than 25deg of flap would be more drag than lift...

Thanks Frank / Dusty all is now clear with regards to flaps.  I think the DX6i will be my first 2.4 radio. Also the RX are much more reasonably priced than the likes of Futaba.

thanks again Jon