Multiplex Fun Cub

Stephen Grigg

Ive come up with a small problem but there is a choice of hgow to fix it.With the extra thickness of the fuselage sides where Ive glassed them there is almost mo room for te motor wiring.I could fit a smaller motor,or make a hole in the fuselage just inside the cooling air scoop and fees them thyrough there because with the floor the ESC will lay in this area anyway.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 21/10/2012 13:43:12:

Ive come up with a small problem but there is a choice of hgow to fix it.With the extra thickness of the fuselage sides where Ive glassed them there is almost mo room for te motor wiring.I could fit a smaller motor,or make a hole in the fuselage just inside the cooling air scoop and fees them thyrough there because with the floor the ESC will lay in this area anyway.

I was thinking of doing the latter in any case, since it's quite hard to be sure the wires aren't going to rub on the motor even as standard.

Thats exactly what ive now done.I did use a cable tie the first time round drilling a hole in the back of the motor rail.The guy at 4 max checked the old motor and announced it was excellant so ,came home drilled the hole fitted together and ran it up and its fine.Just the old wings to bolt on and ready for maiden flight.

The Refuselaged Easyfun cub has had its maiden flight Thursdat in dull misty conditions and 5 more flights today in dull rainy conditions.5 flights today and very enjoyable considering how cold and miserable it was.Comes into its own when by simply carrying the Funcub with a bag on my back full of batteries and tranny,with 1 flight followed by another when its to cold and miserable to want to stop and sit down made it some good FUN stick time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just put the float kit on my Fun Cub today and flew off snow for the first time. Made my take off and landings look really good. Must have been the smoothness and softness of the surface.

Anyone else with float experience on water? Anything to watch out for that might be different from snow or grass flying?

Ralph

• 6 months later...

Greetings from California!

My name is Robin and I just jumped on to see what you all have been up to with your FunCubs, seems that things have slowed down a bit here! Going through the thread I saw some pretty cool ideas and some familiar names! Just thought I'd post a few pics of my project (rebuilt after a crash and almost ready to (re)maiden once again).

Best regards! ~ Robin

got rocks rebuild 045-450.jpg

Landing gear from cublandinggear.com & homemade fiberglass cowl.

got rocks rebuild 031-450.jpg

Carbon fiber tube longerons and verticals, wood dowel diagonals, all joints wrapped with carbon fiber tow and wetted out with thin CA - VERY RIDGED!

got rocks rebuild 037-450.jpg

Carbon fiber rod tail braces as well.

got rocks rebuild 042-450.jpg

Removable turtledeck - can fly in either configuration and will have provisions for a...

got rocks rebuild 043-450.jpg

... keychain camera with a view similar to this! face 1 If you'd like to see more I did a full build thread on my blog on RC Groups - **LINK**

Thanks Stephen!

This was brought on by a case of dumb thumbs with my original FunCub (and in an interest in the Valdez, AK. Bush Pilot Competition). It's been a building experience and I've had fun with it. I had another mishap with her the day after the remaiden (full story is on my blog if you really want to know what happened) but it was weight, power, AND pilot related so she now has a Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV Motor (Firewall mounted), APC 12x6 e-prop, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC, & Turnigy 7.5 A UBEC! I added a set of exhaust stacks and the only thing I'm waiting on is a set of wing struts from an e-flite J-3 Cub 25e and she'll be ready to go again!

Best regards ~ Robin

Edited By cubcrafter60 on 08/07/2013 01:17:37

• 11 months later...

Hi I have a fun cub which flys well but balloons up with power. Can this effect be reduced by the changing of the engine mount angle ( which is pointing down quite dramatically) or moving the battery affecting the cog or can I only add a throttle to elevator mix?

Kevin,

I suspect that this is more or less scale behaviour. If you are flying straight and level and add power, you add airspeed. Thus you get more lift and up you go.

When you say that it balloons I am assuming that it goes upwards while still maintaining a more or less level fuselage. If the fuselage were to go nose up or nose down under excess power then this might indicate that the thrust line is wrong.

Other's opinions may differ.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 22/06/2014 12:15:13