Multiplex Fun Cub

Stephen Grigg

Advert

Looks like a great colour scheme Chris, think I might have to have a go at fitting one of those releases to my cub too :D

Mines not quite as colourful also note the lack of sunshine in my pic lol

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 24/01/2012 16:26:26:
Oh dear,now Im thinking of painting mine

Do It ! You know you want to !

I repainted mine and my club mates thought it was a new model :D

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 24/01/2012 16:26:26:
Oh dear,now Im thinking of painting mine

Same here. I've even got the paint, well one colour anyway.

What would be the best way to spray and mask the model once its complete (obviously would have been better painted before assembly).

By the way, like the WWII colour scheme, reminds me of one that I saw at Thornhill airfield ..

To be honest Tony it was't to hard to paint kinda regret not putting a primer down first but it doesnt look to bad.

I just used a cheap single action airbrush and a compressor with some Tamiya acrylics, I tried using Revel acrylics but they weren't as good.

As for masking Tamiya masking tape is the only one I would use too its just the best stuff, no creep etc at all.

Hi All,

An interesting thread regarding the vibration problem, My easy Cub used to Buzz when pulled rudder elevator rolls until the front White plastic motor mount let go. As Multiplex couldn't get me a replacement too quickly I cut one of my own from from 3mm paxolin plate and it worked a treat. In the end I got bored with the model and gave it to a mate who'd just totaled his T28 and it's still flying just great after 3 years and loads of hours flying by both of us.

I've now brought a Fun Cub and fitted an Overlander motor, can't remember the size but it turns out over 300 watts on an 11 x 4, just need to get out and fly it more. Again I've cut a paxolin motor mount and no problems so far.

Cheers,

Chris.

I had exactly 500 flights on Funcub 1 when i sold it on Ebay, it had working flaps and an EMAX motor, which was still running fine, and also original HXT900 servos. I had vibration problems until i epoxied up the whole mount.

Now today Funcub number 2 has recorded 200 flights. This plane is fitted with one of SOTOG,s aluminium motor mounts from RC Groups, and a MVVS 960Kv motor and a carefully balanced 12 X 6 TGS prop, and no flaps fitted, it flies superbly to me it feels even better without the flaps.

Not a hint of vibration, and i also run it on 4S quite regularly about 480 watts and a bit of a pylon racer !!! i have actually run it on batteries from 1000Mah 3S to 4000Mah 4S so it is quite versatile !!!!

Hi Stephen,

Here's my take on it, I must say that the mount I use is far more rigid than than the Multiplex one.

And has served two models well over loads of flights, this is the motor I use in the fun cub, and as I said the Easy cub had a 230 watt motor and as far as I'm aware still has. Better get this out of the way before the missus gets home.

Hello darlin your home early, ouch, I was just clearing it away **//***** well you might have defrosted it first,

speak to you soon ( if it don't hurt too much)

Chris.

PS it's available from any good LMS, about £1.50 a POP, ouch it's still too cold, run it under the tap.

Had a frustrating time yesterday with the Fun Cub all my fault.It was cold and snowy,and dick head popped the battery in in the car park lost balance and after the funcub attacked me collided wirh the club caravan snapping the motor shaft sendoing the prop and adaptor into a stream.Having paddled in the freezing water to retrieve it,I went home found another motor and fitted it and returned, took off and it was uncontrollable .back the power right down and landed behind some trees.Retrieved it made variuos adjs found the major problem,all fingers pointing at--hhhmmm ME,and had to excellant flights.,vitually disappearing into th low cloud base.On the 3rd flight the motor when in to major spasm screeching enough.Took it home and checked it over worked fine.Searched high and low finally finding a spare shaft for the original motor repalaced the shaft and popped it in and refitted the motor ready for the next opportunity to fly.

• 2 months later...

Hi Fun Cub flyers,

I just got me one of these and have enjoyed reading all the great info in this thread. For me the Cub will be for gentle relaxed flying only so I plan to keep it simple to start with albeit with a few minor changes.

The "comedy" wheels will be replaced with 83mm foam rubber lightweights and initially I will not mount the flaps. Long term plan is to make some mods to make the model more scale like, ie new undercarriage and perhaps some wing struts.

Steve.

Posted by Big Bandit on 09/04/2012 16:46:19:

Brilliant bit of kit, I can't fault mine thumbs up, and gave the Easy Cub to a mate to play with teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

I still have a new Easycub in the box, and I have spare wing joiners for the Funcub, which will make the Easycub into a Funcub. There is just a very slight gap in the centre of the wings on top from the dihedral on the Easycub. Easy enough to cut out the ailerons and flaps.

Posted by Big Bandit on 09/04/2012 18:26:57:

Give it a go Steve, it's a whole new party animal. I'm well chuffed with mine. If you can get hold of the flap hinges it's even better. Punky's are moving soon due to re-development in Hinckley so it might be worth giving Justin a bell.

Cheers,

Chris.

I have a Funcub. Hinges are not a problem, have added flaps to my Mentor and my Twinstar, can't even see the hingeline when the flaps are up.

I was going to set the Easycub up as a simple 3ch and take to the Philippines with me last summer. Just as well I didn't, wasn't much time to fly. Most of the big areas were pineapple plantations, not very kind to planes.

Want to go again this year, but also want some time here, and with the new taxes, may give it a miss, but I think I will take it if I go, or send it first, so at the moment it's being kept for that.

I finished putting together a Fun Cub over the weekend. Couldn't fly it was too wet and windy so decided to finish what I had started a while back. From what I have read the weakest point is the tailwheel which is apparently too flimsy. Has anyone made any changes to the tailwheel setup?

As I am using a six channel Futaba receiver I have put all the aileron and flap surfaces on their own channels. The 12FG should be able to do any mixing needed etc. Does anyone use aileron differential or crow etc? Or is it best to leave that side of things well alone.

A lot of the time I will have the luxury of flying from a disused runway on an airfield. This means a hard surface. I think I read somewhere that the Fun Cub doesn't cope too well with hard surfaces mainly because of the springy undercarriage. I know some people have modified the undercarriage but I was wondering about a solution that could be swapped depending if your using a hard or a soft surface.

Wrongway,

Don't worry about mixes, I've just used the the full setup on mine, Dual rates are good, 75% low and 140% high on elevator, aileron. All the rest leave as it is, go forth and fly, but most of all enjoy have fun. If you can get a set floats even better.

As for the hard surface ......... don't crash wink 2

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 10/04/2012 19:41:41