Multiplex Fun Cub

Stephen Grigg

It is something Ive been considering Jeff,Ive some electric conversion kits that Im going to look at when I venture out to the shed next.The target I was aiming for has gone now.It was to try and beat Johny Whittle at being first to fly in the new year.Once the Fun Cub project mod ala Stevie wo failed the urgency faded away.I did go to the field in the 1st and surprised at the number of people there considering what an awful day it was.Went there today the sun was shinig not a cloud in the sky the wind although strong straight down the strip and 5 exhilerating flights with the Swift which at the moment has replaced the Fun Cub

Advert

I saw on another forum where the modeller had cut the whole nose off short, and fitted a ply bulkhead where the firewall would be. Then the motor was bolted to the front of the bulkhead in the conventional outrunner manner. He finished by fitting the cowl sold as a spare part for the Hobbyzone Super Cub.

That was on RC Groups, but the thread is a zillion pages long so not sure how I'd go about finding it.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 03/01/2012 09:23:29:
I saw on another forum where the modeller had cut the whole nose off short, and fitted a ply bulkhead where the firewall would be. Then the motor was bolted to the front of the bulkhead in the conventional outrunner manner. He finished by fitting the cowl sold as a spare part for the Hobbyzone Super Cub.

That was on RC Groups, but the thread is a zillion pages long so not sure how I'd go about finding it.

That sounds like the best idea yet.

It would spread the contact over a large area. and get rid of the rather flexible front section at the same time.

Mine is fine so far, had a lot of flights since the mod, but that is not to say the problem won't return, the motor bearers are only about 3" long

Thanks for that!

With the weather precluding any activity I came back yo the Fun Cub .Took Stevie W O advise cleaned up the carbon fibre rods he supplied and this time glued them with Cyenoo.Then Drizzled Cyano over the bearers both Steve s and the original white ones.Also drizzled cyano all over the front end inside and out let it soak for a while and then sprayed with activator.I drilled the left lower adjuter screw position to act as a replacement for the broken centre screw.Fitted it all back together and tested with no prop perfect.Took a new 12 x6 and balanced it although it really was well balanced ,.Tested again several times and its fine.With the power I have I wont need full power anyway so gently gently

My C of G test tends to be ensure its nose heavy and that should be OK.So after 18 months Ive rechecked the balance and decided its to nose heavy.Ive moved the battery right back,had it at the front.Ive added 20 grams to the rear and it looks just right nose hangs slightly down instead of making a dent in the floor

Where's your CofG now? I'd be interested in your "before and after" comparison in terms of handling in flight. I've seen it said that it flies well with the CofG quite far forward of the recommended position, and I've also seen the suggestion that a nose heavy balance improves turn coordination.

That last one, turn coordination, is real my only beef with the Fun Cub. I'm not going to claim any more than the least experience in either model or full size, but it seems wrong to need so much rudder all the way round. To make a comparison, I have a little stick time on a three axis microlight (Rans S6) which needs a good boot of rudder into the turn, and when rolling out. However it doesn't need much if any once established in the turn. Is it maybe the dihedral on the FC that causes this?

Tony S (who needs to get his FC back up in the air soon)

Looks like Ill be able to try it out today the weather is looking good.I fly with aileron rudder mix on all my models and have never had problems with the turn.The only handling issue i sometimes notice but not every time was landing a bit heavier sometimes but then the springy u/c took care of that ill report in later today

Been flying my Fun Cub for quite a while too just completed a repaint of it last month.

Got to be honest I have used and abused the poor Cub and it keeps bouncing back for more it really is great fun whether just doing crazy touch and goes with the full flap or just as a winter hack I love it !

I've not really noticed the need for more rudder than normal but it is a Cub and almost every cub I have flown has needed a small nudge of rudder to tidy the turn.

Also as you know from flying full size almost all aircraft require a bit of rudder to make a nice smooth coordinated turn.

Have a good fly today Stephen I wish I could be flying something today instead of looking out the window in the office at the sun, still Sunday looks good.

Its always the way isn't it a sunny windless day comes along and we cant go out to play

My FC was looking abit worse for wear after a year of abuse but a paint job does wonders, here's the only pic I have at the moment of it will take a better one next time I take it out.

Please excuse the mess on the bench.

Thats a good colour scheme mine is still original,My son arose at 12.30 so I volunteered him for parcel deliver collector and he performed the job well so all was OK and I duly left for the firld getting my first flight un by 1.30pm.Fun Cub performed well,some new batteries didnt but i had 7 flights and then was so cold I came home. the Fun cub performed very wel no hitches except some batteries were very good others were rubbish

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 06/01/2012 08:47:35:
Looks like Ill be able to try it out today the weather is looking good.I fly with aileron rudder mix on all my models and have never had problems with the turn.The only handling issue i sometimes notice but not every time was landing a bit heavier sometimes but then the springy u/c took care of that ill report in later today

I guess I need to learn to use the rudder properly, I've been a bit spoiled with my gliders what either haven't had a rudder at all, or one that's completely ineffective. Does the aileron-rudder mix stop you crossing controls, for example on takeoff or landing cross-wind?

Tony S

Hi Tony ,the reason I have aileron rudder mix on my models is lack of abi;ity to control my models on take off with left rudder.I tend to get the model straight on take off with my right thumb,and sometimes use left rudder if i need more.it something i need to conquer this year if Im going to fly models with bigger engines.I didnt find a problem with the Fun Cub before but felt I was flying to nose heavy.Just found i was able to enjoy the Fun Cub more because i was able to use more throttle than previously because of the vibration,With my set up the Fun Cub is away within 4 feet so there are no steer issues and its a model I just plonk at an angle at the pit entrance,walk back behind the pit fence and its up and away in a fraction.All other models I have to stand behind and steer.

No damage Towie I was very low anyway,just lost all power.But I found the problem.The speed controller connector came off the receiver,probably because the battery position is now firther back right next to the receiver,I must have been disloging it until it came off at the nearest to right time.Ive moved the receiver up high to the sideat the very back whicj allows me more room for the battery and Ive reconnected it and everything is fine,it wasnt dead needed resuscitating

Ah yes the fun of finding somewhere to put the receiver in FB !

I managed to velcro mine just under the wing seat between the spaghetti that is the aileron and flap cables

whereabouts have you got your battery ? Mine just sits forward of the wing leading edge if you see what i mean and seems to balance nicely.

Posted by Towlie on 16/01/2012 13:04:43:
Ah yes the fun of finding somewhere to put the receiver in FB !

I managed to velcro mine just under the wing seat between the spaghetti that is the aileron and flap cables

whereabouts have you got your battery ? Mine just sits forward of the wing leading edge if you see what i mean and seems to balance nicely.

Hi guys - I've got a slightly larger than spec motor in mine and fly with either a 2200 or 2300 3S Lipo. Right from the off I had to put my lipo way down the fuse so that it overhangs the air exit hole and even put some weight on the back to get the COG correct. My Rx is in the aperture under the wing and I have a remote Rx cut into to one of the upright edges of the canopy/hatch opening with the aerial outside. The main aerial exits between the wing seat and wing.

Flies s well it really is too easy - not to be over used because it makes you think you are a great pilot - I like it because I can fly off the track outside.

Terry