Harvard

I flew a real Harvard yesterday!  It was a Mk2B, the one from Goodwood. Number 43

I was in the rear seat with the instructor in the front, but I poled it around for half an hour and we did wing overs etc and loops and rolls (aileron and barrel) and I have to say I was mightily impressed!Its a big plane when you look at it but its even bigger when you sit in it! There's no floor, as is the way with these machines, and the bottom of the fuselage is a LOOOOOooong way down.That lovely / awful (delete as appropriate) prop noise one hears with Harvards is not present from the inside, there's just a lovely growl that never really changes.

The Wasp pulls the machine aloft with ease and grunt and the constant speed unit is almost set and forget! We flew with 1800 RPM set and try as I might I couldnt change it: steep dives and steep climbs,  wing overs, rolls and loops, the mighty CSU just kept it there.  I was very impressed with the crispness of the machine -  stick right, she rolled right, stick central and BANG! it stops dead.  I was expecting some inertia, but none was present.  

There was some adverse yaw but not huge amounts though it seemed there was more to the right than left and I am wondering whether this is due to torque effects somewhere down the interaction road.  It could also be a rigging issue or simply my imagination. I'd need more time to tell.Finally, for those of a certain age, this plane is the one Gary Numan used to own and fly and I recall seeing him flying it to great effect . Numan

Anyway, a great half hours flying.David 

Edited By David perry 1 on 27/05/2010 08:21:06

Advert

David, 

I'm live near Salisbury!!!, well in Devizes.

trying to finish building a Flair Havard at the minute. Your description reminds me of those days long gone as an Air Cadet flying Chipmunks at RAF Finningly, taxing past Vulcans and that god awful Nimrod AEW MK3 with the bulbous nose and bum; now sadly (I think) Robin Hood Airport.

Chris

Edited By Ackers on 27/05/2010 20:16:06

• 1 month later...
My first flight was in a Dakota, my second flight and the first where I took the controls was in a Harvard, the third in a Moth - I'm still paying through the nose for the resulting addiction.

Have to agree the Harvard just puts itself where you want it and stays there in a bank, not like a soggy PA-28 at all, just a world apart. Peter where is your nearest airfield? Planes can usually cover distances pretty quickly if you want to have a go.

My first ever flight was as an ATC cadet at summer camp, RAF Chivenor in 1959. That was in an Avro Anson which must have been one of the last that the RAF still had. It was full of radio gear and the flight was actually an air test, I just happened to be there when the Anson was being prepped for flight, offered a ride which I accepted in a nanosecond or two. Later that week I flew in a Chipmunk and also got to fire a Bren gun and a Lee Enfield .303 on the range, I wonder if 12 year olds do things like that now? (I lied about my age to get into the ATC).

Dehavilland Airfield, you must mean Salisbury Hall near St Albans?. Panshanger the other side of Hatfield would be the nearest GA field to you I think. Your not far either from  Elstree, but Elstree is very expensive on landing fees.

If you can get yourself to Panshanger and I can find someone to cost share with me from Andrewsfield I'm sure we could drop in and give you a flight. Let me know some dates by PM.

I'm not sure you understood Peter, what I'm saying is I'll cost share with another pilot to get the plane from Essex to Panshanger.

Once I get to Panshanger I'm offering to take you flying for half an hour or so for free. It isn't going to cost you anything other than your trip from home to Panshanger airfield. (though it might be nice if you bought me a coffee!)

So if you want to fly, here is your chance. We could do the usual 'fly over your house' thing if there is no airspace restrictions. 

Posted by Gemma Jane on 02/07/2010 23:56:08:
Dehavilland Airfield, you must mean Salisbury Hall near St Albans?

Odd, has Peter been abducted by aliens? I can't see his postings...

If it's of any relevance, Salisbury Hall was owned by de Havilland and was where the Mosquito was designed and the prototype built.  Although Salisbury Hall was not an airfield, the prototype was flown from an adjoining field the short distance to Hatfield Airfield - where the DH factory was located (later Hawker Siddely and BAe) although sadly it has become a housing and trading estates over the last few years.

Salisbury Hall is now the home of the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre and pride of place goes to that very Mosquito prototype - complete with the ply "bandage" repair where the fuselage broke in two when they discovered a slight design deficiency on a later landing!

The Museum is a well kept "secret" and VERY worth visiting for anyone who appreciates DH aircraft and there is unparalleled  access to many of the exhibits - check the opening times before you make a journey though...

Gemma, I'll treat you to a full English before hand and cake and coffee afterwards lol.

Heck this takes me back to my ATC days flying in Chipmunks at RAF Woodvale, Southport and in Cherokee's at Blackpool airport. Later, whilst in the RAF I did a bit of gliding, being towed up by winch, and then flights in Hercules, VC10, Nimrod and even a Harrier T2 out of Gutersloh with a mad US Marine Corp exchange pilot, in a shallow dive over one of the Dambuster dams, (I can't remember which one) and the pilot shouting out, dugga dugga dugga, take that you **************