Galaxy Domino

Chris  Channon

Advert

hi chris i have one and they do fly very well, if you can go for the fiberglass cowl option as joining the abs cowl together is a real pain in the butt, have you built a trad kit before ??  as the instructions will assume that you have and are pretty good at them!

the only mod i would do is to install 2 servos in the wings they would have to be strong minis as the wing is quite thin, the single servo in the centre is okay (mine has it)  but is a blooming tight squeeze

Hi Chris

I had a pang of nostalga and bought a Galaxy Gazelle super the other month as a trip down memory lane- as this was my first i/c model back in the eighties.  Yep as commented above, Traditional kits!  Be prepared for a lot of work and hours. shaping sanding etc. As far as hardware is concerned - if its anything like the Gazelle be prepared to spend an extra £20 - £30 to complete it!

I had to buy wheels, spinner, control rods, covering etc. I even had to buy control horns as the ones supplied were far to big to fit to the control surfaces. I dont know about the domino - perhaps Lee can help. To keep it traditional as per plan - I had also had to supply fiber glass cloth and resin to bond the wings together.

Would I do it again - Nope!!  only if I had lots of time on my hands!  My girlfriend has bought me the Seagull Ultimate Bipe for my birthday. Yet to put it together. Lovely kit, Everything included and finished in profilm.

Having experienced my gazelle bulid recently if I was chosing between the Galaxy and the Seagull Bipes. I know which one I would go for!. The Galaxy bipe would probably cost the same eventually to finish it as the seagull.

Good luck mate

Al

Hi Alan, listen i love galaxy kits and yes they do have there problems some of which you alluded to but you are sort of missing the point! when you turn up to the patch with the gazelle no one will have one !!! and everyone will ask where what etc and money just can't buy that, not only that i loveto build !!

buy the Anniversary edittion of the worlds best rc mag (creep creep) and you will find a review of the magician which mentions the pitfalls of galaxy kits, but also the upside !!

i have built virtually every kit they make and sadly they all suffer from the same issues and its a real crying shame as they are brilliant flyers, i just wish they would take another look at their kits and bring them into the (well the 20th centuary would be nice) standards that are required today, if you buy a Galaxy kit i promise you, you will end up with a model that you will love and flies fantastically, but you will probably loose most of your hair in the process !!

David, STAY AWAY !!  not much left !!  

Brill, thanks all,
Yep Lee, i have built a few proper kits before, ( Precedent Stampe, Precedent Hi-Boy, Lo-Boy, Premier Precepter, Yammy, Acro-Wot, Wot's Wot, etc, ) I just like the look of the Domino, i will buy the Mystic too as that was the first low wing i learnt to fly on !!!

Again, thanks all, i will let you know how the build goes.

regards
Chris.

• 2 months later...
Can anybody help me.  I have been given a Galaxy Domino that someone has started to build , i.e. part completed fuselage, nothing else.  Unfortunately there was no plan or instructions, just a box full of parts,  ( I think a few bits are missing). It is like a jigsaw with pieces missing!! .  If anybody has the plan I would be most grateful if they would let me have a copy.  Naturally I would pay postage and any other costs involved.
Regards
Roy Wellington 

Just noticed this thread from way back when....... I built the Domino some years back when I was relatively new model flying. As many folks have intimated it stretches the building skills to the limit and I recall I sweated blood trying to build it. However, I was never truly happy with the finish which was due in part to my inadequency no doubt. 
Unlike most of the contributors to this thread I found it flew like a dog and I think I rekitted it after three flights.

I am older and wiser now but I would suggest a decent degree of skill is required to build it. I must admit I am happier flying bigger planes in the 1.5 to 2 metre range and I have had success with other makes of bipes, however. 

• 9 months later...
Hello all. I've also just bought a second hand domino, picked it up today and it's a lovely model. It needed a bit of TLC and so I've stripped it down as much as possible, cleaned it all up, repainted it and put it all back together. My problem is I cannot figure out how to attach the upper wing? The planes wings came detached with the struts tapped on the inside so I really have nothing to go by, especially since I also have no plan.

Any ideas or clues would really be appreciated as I know this thread is quote old. Thanks in advance!