new club members -how?

our club is in need of some new members/ freash blood ,we are down to our last 1/2 doz  about 50/50 split between old age ,middle age members .
although the field is not brilliant as in it could be a lot smoother its not the worst i,ve seen either but like everything else it needs new blood/funds to improve & progress or it will wither up & die (as it is doing ) like most things do.
how or what do your clubs do to keep things going ??
i know we prob need a web site but i dont have a clue were to start on that one
any advise greatly appreciated

andy
p.s its the isle of axholme model flying club & we fly at a small field between haxey & owston ferry

Advert

Andy, please don't think me rude and perhaps I should know but ...isle of axholme? Where that?
What's the club name please?
How do folks contact you? Phone? Forum private message?

Leaving a post here should help and we can always pop a little news item into RCM&E - just email me [email protected]

That goes for any other clubs too

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 08/06/2010 14:32:22

"i know we prob need a web site " there is no prob about it. if your not on the web you dont exist. like it or not it is how all business is done now.

The web is how I found my club.

I would not have a clue how to set one up either but as I see there are two ways to go. the easiest way is find someone you know who is good on computers to do it for you. Most computer boffins would jump at the chance to build a web site from scratch. the harder way is to teach yourself how to do it. Not as hard as it sounds but would take longer. there are a number of good books that can help you the "for Dummies" series is very good.

Another way to attract new people would be to offer free trial flights but you would need a club trainer for that.

A fly in event also may alert existing flyers to your site. you can put the event on this web site and that of the BMFA.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 08/06/2010 14:31:01:
Andy, please don't think me rude and perhaps I should know but ...isle of axholme? Where that?
What's the club name please?
How do folks contact you? Phone? Forum private message?

Leaving a post here should help and we can always pop a little news item into RCM&E - just email me [email protected]

That goes for any other clubs too

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 08/06/2010 14:32:22
sure its classed as north lincolnshire had a few border changes over the years, its the bit that stops doncaster,scunthorpe ,gainsbrough from drifting apart,
forum private message is fine for the moment will get some contact numbers up in day or so just need to clear it with said people first , dont like putting numbers up with peoples ok

thanks for the couple replys so far
andy

Andy,

in our club we've found that "putting ourselves about a bit" in the local community works well. People need to know that you are there - we tend to be very private and shy! So some ideas for this include;

1. Write a short piece for your local free newspaper about the club and its history - don't forget to include a picture, the press like images it makes things appear more "lively".

2. Circulate your local community groups/churches/schools and offer to do a short talk on model flying.

3. Inform the organisers of the local summer fete or school fair etc. that you'd like a stall - take along some models - remember to have details displayed of how to contact you. Take a simulator along - the public love to "have a go at landing the plane" - once you get a converstaion going... 

4. If safety allows - size of field, crowd control etc. - offer to do a short flying display.

5. Find out if any of your local schools have an after school model club and contact the teacher - invite them all to a fly in!

6. Organise an "open day" - or a "have a go" day - advertise it widely in the area.

7. See if there is an ATC or Air Cadets in your area - invite them along. Their leaders are always on the lookout for "activities" or "outings" for the group.

8. Contact your local photographic society - photographers love models! They have contacts in the community and usually an annual exhibition.

9. Invest a few bob in having some really good A4 colour posters printed, make sure all council offices, libraries community centres and halls etc. have a copy posted on their notice board.

That should keep you busy for a while and hopefully will drum up some interest! The idea is the people you actually talk to at these events might not sign up - but it all gets our club known.

Then, when all these new recruits turn up all you have to do is teach them to fly!

BEB

Some of the things we've done recently.

We have a very simple webpage - a single page with some details of the club and contact details, which is listed on the BMFA clubs list. We do get a fair number of enquiries from there, some of which go through to join the club, but not as many as might be expecte. We don't have the resources to administer and keep a more complex website up to date and haven't found it necessary.

We put posters up in the LHS and in the local libraries and community centres with details of the club and contact details to come along to weekly club meetings..

We have biannual fun fly events, with a BBQ and hope to attract interest from our neighbours and passing trade. WE don;t actually advertise these, but always seem to get a fair number of passers by calling down to the field. There's a club trainer, which is in the air for a lot of the time, taking youngsters, and the not so young, for trial flights. That has produced some new members in the past couple of years- we also waive the usual joining fee if a membership application is made on a fun fly day..

We have a couple of club videos on You Tube, with contact details. That has netted a few new members in the past twelve months.

We also have a stand, with models, a laptop running a flight simulator, a photo display and a video of flying at the club. The idea is to take this to any local events, such as fetes etc as a static display. It hasn't actually produced any new members yet, but it's only had one outing so far at a classic car show. The organisers of such events are very keen to have something like model flying, but you need to think very carefully and suss out the site if they expect any flying, that is a whole different thing altogether, we don;t do flying displays, just static..

A Simulator stand can be made a lot more impressive with a large screen. A projector and white screen adds a new dimension than just a laptop. but only if you have access to one. I think the cost is a bit prohibitive to buy one just for this purpose.

I have also seen wireless connections for spectrum Tx's to connect to a sim.

Also depending on what sim you use if you can input a competitive element (maybe with a small prize for the winner) it seems to add interest.

Oh, I think every club gets a bit of that.

It's quite a commitment to go all the way through to joining for some people. They show an initial interest, visit maybe a few times and might even have a trial flight. That seems to be the point that sorts the keen to join from the "just looking" and so we like to encourage that as much as possible.

Having said that, like most clubs, about 20% of the current membership at any time does probably 80% of the flying, week in, week out. There's a large percentage that might only come to the field a few times a year, mostly over the summer months and a certain percentage who never come at all even after having joined.

One problem that became apparent with my club last year was along the same lines except the numbers of dormant members was close to 90% and our field was horribly underused.

Many of the non-flyers said they were only members "just in case" in the event that their interest in the hobby returned, in the meantime they didn't want to leave the club in case they couldn't get back in. Needless to say we have a 2-3 year waiting list. I'm know that's not an isolated problem and while, sure, not everyone on the waiting list will be a regular attendee, it does make you wonder if some sort of solution shouldn't be found - perhaps a guaranteed re-entry within say 3-5 years for those who leave and want to return? There's a max number of models in the air rule in case everyone turned up at once (highly unlikely). Just thinking aloud really......

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 09/06/2010 15:19:31

David it does sound like the club organisation is at fault.

My club has a maximum nuber of models flying at once rule (forced upon the club for other reasons). and even on a busy day you dont need to wait long for a flight.

If you have a maximun club membership and a waiting list to join it is only human nature for people to hold on to a place for self interest.

It looks like for your club it is time to look at the system. More members means more income and this can only be a help to the club.

Its similar in our club - we have a about 50 members, but its the same 10 faces you see down at the strip week in week out. Occassional one or two of the others show up on a sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but not often.

Talking of which - as one of the 10 - I'm off now for an early dart from work and my Wednesday evening flying fix!

BEB