Multiplex FunJet vs Seagull Extra 300

I was all set to get the Multiplex FunJet for my first foray into electric flight when RCME comes along and throws a spanner in the works by way of the review of the Seagull Extra 300 in the September mag.

Both use the same power plant, esc, LoPo's etc but, which to get ?

Does anyone have experience of either or better still both?
How do their flying characteristics compare ?

Thanks
Chris

p.s. Of course if I win the latest comp. on this web-site then the decision will be easy :-)

Advert

Chris,

The Funjet has more of a jet like performance with smooth turns and rolls and loops the order of the day, it's fairly fast on a 3s Lipo and no bad habits (I've had mine for about 15 months). I have'nt flown the Extra 300 but have a Fliton Edge and Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana which would be similar, neither will perform at the same speed as the Funjet but both are highly aerobatic and the Katana can do 3D as well but will not survive hard landings. If you just want a model to fly around and which will survive not so perfect landings, the Funjet's the one, if it's aerobatic flying, then buy the Edge, or better still buy both as the Lipos can be used in either model.

Might be able to help a little Chris although Roy has 'em sized up very well. I've taken the pictures for both the review articles.

The Funjet is a very fast jet like model that flies like a ...er jet! it's smooth, cuts through a breeze easily and carves big chunks of sky very quickly - especially with the set-up Steve used. Steve (who reviewed the model) loves it and it comes out every time we fly together. Flying wise it's a case of big-jet manouevers as dictated by the delta shape and elevons. It's more of a throw in the car model that you wont mind flying in any weather.

The Extra 300 is a traditional wood/ply model, beautifully made. Again, flies very well but in a smaller space, it's not as fast as the Funjet and flies like a 3D/traditional aerobat. It's stable and can do pretty much anything so it may be more satisfying in the long run as it can do more.

Two very different aeroplanes...which doesn't help I guess!

David.

For my .02P worth... the funjet looks a little different to all the other EXTRA style clones that clutter up the pits these days. Sure some may "fly" better than others but really, a shoulder wing aerobatic plane is a shoulder wing aerobatic plane....and as for being able to do 3D well I would just post the following :-)
Hovering is for helicopters
Blenders are kitchen implements
Harriers are either birds or military aircraft
3D means daft green and red spectacles

None of the above have anything to do with the flying of model aeroplanes !

I'll get me coat.....

Thanks Roy and David. Timbo, you can have your 2p back :o) although I do agree entirely with the shoulder wing planes comments whether they are sukhois or extras. I hate samey.

So I think it's the Funjet for me. I've already got an AcroWot and a now demised Shostring :o( and was looking for something extra (no pun intended) to take to the field when I don't want to do 'proper flying', just hoof around the sky.
The plus side is all the bits are transferrable.

Cheers guys

TY Chris. Despite reminiscing about the good 'ol days, I do like to think I try to keep up with modern stuff too! Besides I dont really remember much from those times unless someone else does the recall for me - sometimes I struggle to remember what I did yesterday !! 'Spose thats a senior moment thing too!!
Tissue and dope - Yep blow me nose on em, and got many dopey friends :-)
Non computer radios....ah yes, do actually recall those easily - "paired" servos 1 x red 1 x black label - different direction on each output shaft, non reversible, so you had to actually plan your installation in them days, none of this fancy servo reverse and subtrim stuff ! Linear servos for throttle and aileron use, ( still available I believe - mpx ? )
Valves! - tubes dear boy tubes ( actually I think that was a bit of an americanism )....all hot and glowing full of EHT - LUVVERLY !
I was actually doing my apprenticeship in "electronics and radio and TV servicing" back in the days when B+W Tvs were the norm....remember well the first colour jobbies arriving in the workshop. Took 2 men to lift them and a half day to set them up, with big wirey de-gaussing coils and mirrors ! - but only of course in the rich and famous households of the day. A single typical PNP germanium transistor such as OC81 cost me about a quarter of my weeks wages - NOT KIDDING!
Good job I was friendly with the storeman of our service department nod nod wink wink!

Timbo
Found a socket the lead fitted in
After about 30 minutes the red light has gone out & the green one hasn't come on & it's quite warm Phhheewww .What next I ask myself ?
I was hoping to put some photos on the gallery etc. Ive still got my film developing tanks but black & white papers,fixer etc are now so dear
Really Reminiscing P----D off
Myron (wished I still had my E type)
Just one more home brew .

Yeh, charging usually takes around an hour or two from flat. Just remeber to have the little slide switch ON, BEFORE you plug it into a USB socket on the PC / laptop. After the battery has been used for a n hour or two, mine can take at least 2 hours to recharge, so I use a little gizmo which plugs into my car cigar lighter socket and terminates in a USB socket, I can then use this to power my Ipod and charge USB sticks like the flycam on the move :-)