Chris Golds Lanc

Hi I'm Jon and I'm 68 years old and although I'm not completely new to RCME, I'm treating my self as a newbie because just about everything has changed since I last built a flying model! I's around 50+ years since tha last one!  I'm currently building a Lancaster with a 96ins wingspan (you can keep mickey mouse measurements!).  I've been planning it for 10 years and have built most of it now.  But, to my problem and question.  I'm having great difficulty trimming and matching up the front gunner and bomb aimer canopies.l  The come as two seperate parts and I cannot get the right trimming to get them to fit together and on the front of the aircraft!  I do not have an artistic eye, I know what the finished article should look like, but cannot get it right and have already ruined one set of canopies trying.  Has anyone any hints or tips on how to get it right without ruining any further canopies?  Please help.  I would like to get it flying by next year if possible although I'm not in a hurry as I'm enjoying the building of it and once it's done that's it!  This has been an almost lifelong ambition and is keeping me occupied during my retirement.

Advert

Hi Ernie,  good question..........certainly not me until I've had some recent experience!  I have a pal in the club who has an old trainer which he is giving me and I'm going to use one of the lanc engines and my radio gear to get back into flying. The lanc will have more channels than I've used before but that will come with practice and time.........I hope ! lol  Once I've had some practice I'm going to fit lights and some other items to the trainer that require more channels so I can get used to using them too .  As  I said I'm not totally new to flying but it is a long time and I'm not in a hurry and I do not intend to make the mistakes I made in the past, which I have learnt by!  Which is one of the reasons I've asked this question. I've tried and can't get it right so I'm seeking advice.  I'm not too proud to ask, that's one of the lessons i learnt many years ago! jon

Hi Thanks.  Yes, this is one of those problems which has no defineable answer. Ii'm sure there are several ways in which to tackle it but explainaing it may be more difficult.  There is only one other lad in the club that has built one similar to mine.  It's a bit smaller and his front gunner/bomb aimer canopy came in one moulded piece so he hasn't really got an answer either!  I'm sure I'll get there in the end, but I thought someone who has already done this may have some tips based on their experience. We'll see if anyone comes up with anything.  cheers  j

• 1 month later...
Hi TD, thanks for support.  i expect it will get sorted in time..with a little help from my friends!  It certainly won't fly this year though, maybe next year.  I'm really enjoying the challenge of building the biggest aircraft I've ever built and when that';s done..it's done! so I'm dragging it out a bit I suppose, but hopefully I've plenty of time to enjoy both the building and flying.  Will post from time to time with progress and more begging questions no doubt! cheers j

Hi Jon,
welcome back!
It's difficult to exactly viualise the exact problem you are having, but i suspect its getting the moulding cut to the correct shape to sit flush with the fuse and be at the correct angle. Can you fit a 'ring' to the fuse, then you will have some room for error on your trimming of the canopy, and be able to set it at the correct orientation.

sparks

Hi Sparky, long time no see.  Been busy decorating, DIY & gardening etc. and not had much time in the last 2-3 months to do any modelling!  Sad git ain't I!!!  lol  Yes, your'e half right.  The actual problem I'm having is getting the 2 mouldings of the front gunner and the bomb aimer to marry up where they join.  I had a couple of goes at it and it looks awful!  I have one more set of each moulding left so it's gotta be right this time.  Have left it alone till I get some more advice from someone who'se done it on a lanc before.  There is a local lad who hasbuilt one a bit smaller than mine and I've left him a message asking him to contact me with some help.  He belongs to the same club but he rarely goes cos he works long hours and has kids etc so family has to come1st.  As I said, I'm not in a hurry so don't mind waiting but any advice is always welcome.  Hope you ok.  cheers j

If Chris is like any of the other builders / designers / modellers that I have come across which I am sure he is, then he will be pleased to help.

It is only a complete idiot (your words!) who does not ask, which of course you have already done so you can't be.

I have found the magazine with his contact info which is [email protected]

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Andy, thanks for that. I've emailed him and am waiting to see what he says. You may be right about designers.  I think Chris may have a bit of a laugh 1st before he replies though!  lol  Everyone has their stumbling block and this seems to be mine. Everything else is going well so far.  I have told him I'm going elec with it though.  Don't know what he will think about that.  They weren't around when he designed it and certailny not 50+ years ago!  anyway ta very much.  Will keep you posted.  Thsnks for advice and interest.  cheers  j

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Andy, Have had two email from Chris but I think he's fallen out with me cos I sheeted the lanc!  He wasn't very happy about that even when I explained I couldn't get the finish on the foam that I was happy with before ironing on the covering.  I have built it to his plans with the correct foam or at least it's equivalent type in todays micky mouse measurement .  I also bought some blue styrofoam from Sheffield Insulations that's magic stuff for modelling, for another part ie, the bit behind the engine nacelles. I told him I'd gone electric too and I don't think he liked that either.  Anyway, I'm going to send him a pic when it's finished and hope he likes it.  Still got the prob with the Front Gunner and Bomb Aimer joint although Chris did come up with and idea I think might work.  Anyway I'm going to try it.  cheers  j

You could post a picture for us all to see how you are getting on.

I doubt you have upset  Chris, I bet he is more concerned about the weight you have added with the sheeting.
Have you weighed your creation yet to estimate how heavy the completed machine will weigh compared to Chris's origional?

Good luck with the front join, again pictures would be great

Edited By Andy Gates on 09/09/2010 21:00:49

No, not yet.  Will weigh it tomorrow and take a couple of pics.  I lost the booklet years ago that came with the plans but if I remember right, I think the AUW was around 12-14lbs  I really can't remember exactly.  I've estimated mine will be about 15+  at the most.  Will let you know tomorrow.  cheers  j

Hi, yes thanks, that's around the figure I think the booklet quoted.  At present it weighs 4.75lbs and with all the rest to add I estimate 14-15lbs.  There's an awful lot more to do yet!  I have tried to insert pics, but it's not working whichever way I try it.  Any advice would be helpful.  The pics are on my desktop waiting!  cheers j

You need to upload the photos to 'my photos' section first, and it takes a minute or two and then you press OK ( sometimes you cannot see this box until you wait and scroll down )
Then use the insert image button when posting (  Last button but one on the right )

Hope this works!  As you can see from the little bit showing in the cockpit, I have built the fuselage with the foam Chris specified and then sheathed it. The bit over the main wing I'm trying out the blue styrofoam I got from Sheffield Insulations.  It's seems just as good for modelling as it's very light and is very easily sanded to shape. This bit is nowhere near finished yet but I'm hoping it's going to be ok.  I still have the yellow foam if it doesn't work out.  It looks in the pics as though the tailplane is far too long, but it only overlaps the point where the middle section of the front wing joins the centre section by 2" which according to the real thing and the plans is correct.  Think it's my camera makes it look that way!  This model as you see it weighs 4.75lbs and I've weighed most of the rest of the model, other wing sections etc. and am expecting an AUW of 14-15lbs.  Don't know what the batteries will weigh though so it will probably depend on them for most of the remaining weight. And of course any balancing weights.  At present it balances 2" in front of the trailing edge of the main wing so we're on track for the correct balance point I think.  There's still a lot more to do yet but I'm hoping it will fly next year.  If not, I'm not in a hurry anyway and I've got some flying training to catch up on 1st! any comments appreciated.

Any comments appreciated.

Chris Golds article seems to specify the fus & wing are covered in Brown Paper & PVA.  You state that you could not get a good finish on the foam.  Did you cover with Brown paper?

Have you seen Chris Golds article on Brown paper covered foam planes?

Right, it's there now.  Just come up!  No, not read that.  i've covered mine with an "iron on" sheet, the name of which I forget. Most of the fuselage is ready for painting now.  I've not changed these things without experienced advice, and I'm happy with the result.  I don't know if I've flouted tradition or not, and I hope Chris isn't mad with me, but I have been told that the plans don't have to followed to the letter. There is always room for inovation or small adaptations.  There will be lots of additions to this Lancaster that are not on the plans.  For instance, on the real thing there are 2 balance weights on the rudders, there are some fixtures and fittings around the nose area and some other stuff that mine will have.  I want it to look like the real thing, not a model.  this is going to be difficult, but I'm going to have a go at it.  None of these fittings will add more than a couple of ounces to the AUW, if that.  but they will make it look more realistic.

Of course everyone builds their model with the techniques which they prefer.
However the Brown Paper & PVA covering seems so simple, quick, cheap and lightweight that it would seem a good thing for such a model as a foam Lanc.  I tried it on some foam parts for other models and it worked well.  The PVA dries and slightly shrinks the Brown paper onto foam surface to a nice smooth finish just right for paint.

(Scubajon.
Its a bit late now but if you want a copy of the  Brown Paper article, send me a PM with an e-mail adress. )

As you say, it's a bit late now, but I think it would be ineresting anyway for future info. cheers.  I tried very hard to get a finish I was happy with, but it must be one of my stumbling blocks as I couldn't do it which is why I sheeted it.  Actually, it's going to be harder to get the "used" finish I want than a sleek smooth finish. Don't want to over or underdo the finish as it would look silly.  Anyway, I'm going to go for it.  I was very lucky with this model.  I have a friend who builds models and kits for commercial sale and he has given me...yes Given!.. loads of stuff and one of them was an old part used roll of this covering which is more than enough to cover the Lanc.  It has a very slightly rough finish to it and he said it's just right for your lanc which it is. He also gave me his old iron because the teflon had almost worn off it and he'd bought a new one.  They are expensive but he wouldn't take anything for it.  On top of that he and his wife are both two of the nicest people you could ever meet.  So I count myself lucky on both counts having them as friends.  He has given me loads of advice and help.  So much has changed since I last built a model about 55 years ago, I would have been lost without him. This is why I class myself as a newbie.  And why you all get loads of questions and queries from me!! lol