Easy Glider with brushed motor - Wise buy?

Steve Colman

Looking to progress to a 2m motor glider after learning to fly on a Graupner Terry S. I have a spare Spektrum Rx, HS55 servos + others

Which would be my best option?

Graupner Junior S
Multiplex Easy Glider Pro
Parkzone Radian

or

The title of the thread -  Easy Glider with brushed motor for which I have a brushed 20amp esc.

Not looking for a performance machine, just something to cruise around the sky with.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Steve.

Advert

Hi Steve, well I've owned/flown the Terry S, Junior S and Easy Glider.

First question is, did you have a hot'ish set up on the Terry? If you did then the stock, 2S Li-Po Junior S will be a bit lame but the Easy Glider Pro would be my suggestion - a great glider yet also with a bit of kick if you fancy hammering about and like you may have been used to with the Terry S  

The Junior S isn't much better/faster with a 3S Li-Po and you're pushing the powertrain components a bit in doing so even if you do prop back.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 22/08/2010 16:08:26

Hi David and thanks for your replies.
My Terry is absolutely stock so not exactly hot! In fact I bought it after seeing your review on this site! However, when the stock motor gives out my plan is to replace it with something with a bit more power. My aim is to have a 2m motor glider for some relaxed flying and the Terry for more adventurous fun as my skills improve.

The reason for my post was to ascertain whether the "brushed" early version of the Easy Glider would be a wise investment as I can get one here in Spain for 45 euros ( cheap by Spanish standards).

However, money isn't really an issue and I can see the reasoning for going for a brushless set up from the outset.

So now, Easy Glider Pro or Junior S?

Steve.

Hi Steve

Yep, I had a clear out a few motnhs ago and gave the Terry to dad and he won't give it back now.

I'd go for the EG Pro simply on the basis that it flies well yet you'll have the best of both worlds in being able to fly 'motor glider' or 'warmliner'. Have't flown the Radian though so I'll defer to others who have.  

one of our lad's(enrico)who can peel an orange in his pocket...has been flying an easy glider with the same brushed set up-he got with it year's ago..and can get a really good flying duration with it......so if you dont want to part with load's of dosh..go that route first with a view to upgrade it to brushless later......he also has flown it off the local cliff's as well.....

ken anderson...... ne...1.

I have the earlier EG and the brushed performance was, shall we say, sedate. It was a simple job to replace the brushed motor with a brushless KB 20-40L 16L 3600Kv  inrunner:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4212

This was a straight fit into the existing gearbox - all I needed to do was switch the drive pinion from one motor to the other and, IIRC, get a couple of M2.5 x 6mm screws to secure the motor in the gearbox.

Flies fine - not rocket-like but much better than the brushed version.

The EG Pro, of course, solves all these problems, but €45 for any EG is pretty good value in Euroland!!

Pete

Here is a video taken from my EG. You don't have to watch it all but you'll get an idea of climb rate from the motor-run sequences!:

As I cannot insert links or Youtube in my posts (grrrr!) I'll have to post the link address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KiGH3D1MY

Pete

Thanks for the replies guys.

I know that brushless is really the way to go nowadays but, as you say Pete B, 45 euros is a steal over here where we normally pay top whack for everything; which is why it grabbed my attention I suppose. That coupled with the fact that I have a suitable unused brushed 20 amp esc that I could use with the EG and 45 euros doesn't upset the GF quite so much!? And, if all else fails I suppose I could make a 20 min drive to the Pyrenees and use it as a sloper with a little motor assistance when necessary.

Anyway, lots to muse over and once again thanks for the advice.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Radian? It appeals because of it's R/E only simplicity and it may suit my preferred flying style which is mostly low and slow.  Would the lack of aelerons be an advantage or disadvantage from a flying point of view?

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Everyone who says get brushless EG, or convert yours to brushless is ultimately right.

BUT...

I've had a stock brushed EG for three years.  If you want to go gliding and catch thermals - you need nothing more. So what if the climb, to say 200 metres, takes a minute or two?  What advantage will getting there in 30 seconds have in the context of a 40 minute thermal soaring flight?

I use a 2200 2S LiPo and in still evening air regularly get flightsover 45 minute . When there's lift about - you will be more worried about getting the thing down than how quickly it got to launch height.  Have a look at this thread here for some of my EG exploits.

Enjoy EG for what it is - a glider with motor assisted launch.  If you want "hotliner" or  "warmliner" performance - there are other models on the market - Blizzard, Blaze etc.

Cheers

Edited By Marc Humphries on 23/08/2010 11:36:00

Thank you for all your advice guys.
After watching a few videos of the EGE with the stock brushed set up, and having read your posts, I have decided, that for now at least, to go down that route. And, at only 45 euros it's a bargain too good to be missed.

Pete B, your brushless upgrade looks perfect for a simple one stop improvement over the stock brushed motor if I feel I need a tad more power.

Marc, I read your exploits which helped me to make my decision.

Cheers.

Steve.

Just for your information, Steve, I found an excellent source of info here:

http://www.bungymania.com/easyglider/

It is translatable using Google at the head of the page but the numbers are easy enough to understand . If the page with the motor info doesn't load initially, look for the 'Essais en vol' link on the left column!

Pete

Cheers Pete,
I have read that review several times. I see that Giant Cod have the motor you ( and he )suggested and I may just order one with a 25A esc to have at hand.

One more question if I may? My RX is an ar6100 which I know isn't full range. Would I be better off going for the likes of an ar500 for peace of mind?

Steve.

Well, there's a question and I suppose the answer is 'It's an act of faith'! Spektrum don't guarantee their 6000 series beyond 'Park Flyer' range, so the official answer would be use an AR500. I have both but have never used an AR6100 beyond 'foamy' range. The AR500 is fine at 'full range'.

Timbo has used the AR6100's for sloping way out over the sea, specking out with them and not had a range problem. I think the only reason that Spektrum won't commit themselves is the fact that the 6000 series have two aerials, closely spaced.

I'd give it a try - you can always put your name and address, together with the promise of a reward if found, inside the model........

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Just a brief update.
After lots of research, faffing about and considering my needs for a model as a primary aileron trainer, I eventually settled for the following:

EGE V1 Kit + servo ext leads, Y lead @ 55 EUR
KB 20 - 40L 16L Inrunner + 25A esc @ 28 EUR
2x 2200 2S lipo @ 38 EUR

With postage the grand total comes to about 135 Euros which I consider a bargain.

If all goes well I hope to add an EJS to the fleet next spring.

A big thank you to all of you that have offered advice; very much appreciated guys.

Steve.