Peter Miller's Vans RV3

Erfolg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Peter,
thanks for putting me on to this site, its great to see the pics of Martyn Garretts build, what a fine job he is doing, I can see this is not going to be an easy build for my first one but these pics certainly help me, for the binding of the undercarriage I stripped some electric wire and used that for the binding, do you think this will be strong enough.
Cheers Eric

Yes, you use four pieces of wood. Choose wood that bends across its width easily.

Glue each piece to the sides and leave them to dry standing upright. You can glue all four on at once.

Wet the outside of the the wood and then apply heat with a heat gun while bending the wood over to match the formers. Trim along the center spine and repeat for the others. Glue and then pin down. Use short map pins as these can be pushed fully home to hold the sheet down.

I have just completed my Vans RV3 and have converted it to electric.
The conversion needed some alterations from the plan in that I took the cross section drawing of the cowl and made that F1 thus moving it forward by about 3".The electric motor is then mounted direct onto this former. The plan F1 was made from lite ply and cut about to make a battery access and the top of the model from new F1 to F3 is removable. A vacformed front cowl was made. Due to the new light former a carbon formed undercarriage was used but with spats fitted it is not noticeable
The weight is 51/2 lbs and it flew like a dream on it's maiden flight last week, since has had 5 flights.

Details are as follows but remember that I used a spare motor which flew my Fougray well.
Motor- Tornado 4250. 3-7 lipo capable. 600kv. 720 watt max
60 amp esc as that was what I had in my stock.
First flights were using 11.1v, 2200ma battery with a ground wattage of 350. Approx 6 minutes
I will obtain a 4s battery with 3600ma to give me more watts and a longer flight time
If I could work out how to add an image then I would send one with the modified front end.

Martyn
Thanks for the advice however I am better at building and flying than I am with the computer. I tried to copy the picture but could not paste it into "my photos". Copy and paste works ok in my own files but not here. Any suggestions?
It is now past midday and the sun is coming out so as I am retired I am off flying.

OK John, here it is step-by-step

1. Click on My Photos in the My Account box at the top left of this site.

2. Click on Create a photo album.

3. Enter a name in the album name box and click the "Create Album" button

4. Click "Edit Photos", then "Add more photos".

5. Click on the "Browse" button and locate your photo.

6. If you want to add more than one photo at once, just click the next "browse" button and find the next photo.

6. Click on the Upload Photos button.

7. Once upload is complete you can add more photos. When you've finished make sure you click on "Save Changes".

Having uploaded your photos to your album, you can then put them into your forum posts using the button second from right at the top of the "Post a reply" frame.

Things to watch out for.  If your photo files are too big, the upload will seem to take a long while, then the process will fail.  If this happens you either need to make sure your photos are taken at low(ish!) resolution or only upload one at a time.  The smaller the files, and the fewer you upload at once, the quicker the whole process will be.

Best of luck

Martyn

Edited By Martyn Garrett on 15/03/2011 20:25:05

Edited By Martyn Garrett on 15/03/2011 20:27:15

OK here are the final build photos

Used blue where Peter's (and the real one!) used red, just to be different. Not sure what happened with the camera here but the colours in the photo are not a true reflection of the real thing!

Colour is better in this one and the others.

Used the oil cooler air scoop to house the fuel filler, just to keep it all neat.

Final build notes:-
1. Covering is Profilm (Oracover) in Golden Yellow. Used one and a half rolls with virtually no waste.

2. All trim including lettering was from Profilm, ironed on using a cool iron to avoid distortion through shrinkage.

3. Spats are a glass fibre pair I had in a draw doing nothing. I was going to make them up as the plan, but the pair I found seemed ideal in shape and size. Needed a bit of repair, then sprayed using car primer (from Halfords) then Dulux Liquid Gloss!

4. All trim and whole spats and rudder were finished off with two coats of Ronseal Diamond Hard Gloss varnish applied by brush. This stuff is water based, can be over-coated after two hours, dries to a good flat finish and seems to be pretty well fuel-proof. All in all, truly excellent stuff, and available from B and Q!

5. To avoid adding lead at the tail, I used 1/4" ply for the fin (as I think I mentioned in an earlier post). Having completed the build and covering, I fitted all the bits (engine, tank, wheels etc.) then checked the balace point. Without any lead at all she balanced about 4mm in front of the point shown on the plan. I decided to leave it like that for the first flight and see how it went.

Flying notes.

She had her maiden outing today, flown by Peter Robinson, a senior member (don't mean to make him sound old!) at Runcorn Model Association. Wind was 10mph, gusting to 15. She took off after a short roll on about half throttle. Needed just a few clicks of up trim and a couple on the ailerons. Flew the whole flight on no more than half throttle, and low rates. I had a stir of the sticks during the flight and even at these rates she responded very well and felt lively. Slowed her right down to just over tick-over and she didn't look to drop a wing at all, though we didn't actually reach the stall. The only problem we had on the whole flight was a nose over on landing when we landed just short of the strip. Didn't try the flaps - saving that for next time!

The Saito FA62 fitted has ample (!!!!) power. Flew using a 12 x 6 APC prop and suffered no overheating issues despite the engine being completely within the cowl. Hopefully this will still be the case when the taps are opened up fully!

Final thoughts.

An interesting and enjoyable build, with a few new things for me to learn. Never done a wooden cowl before; never done a rolled deck before; ne

I think my last post was a bit big as the last bit seems to have gone missing. I'll try again.

Final thoughts.

An interesting and enjoyable build, with a few new things for me to learn. Never done a wooden cowl before; never done a rolled deck before; never done a wired and soldered undercarriage before. Overall, I think the results came out rather well (though I say so myself). Thanks Peter, for a great design, which flies even better than it looks.

I am always happy when someone is saatisfied with a model built from one of my designs.

You have done a great job. I am particuallry impressed with your cowling.

Not surprised that it took off on half throttle with that engine.

The flaps are really effective. The stall is a non-event and she does not drop a wing tip, that parallel chord wing makes life much safer.

ONe of our club members has a big ARTF RV-4 and that flies in the same way so the full size obviously makes a perfect model

Fantastic Martyn, if mine turns out a fraction as good as yours I will be very happy, this is my first build and your photos have helped me alot, it will be a long time before mine is finished though, im just about to tackle the cowl, looks pretty complicated to me, but Im enjoying it and I chose this one to build because its a great looking model.
Cheers Eric

Forgot to mention. Final all-up wieght with Saito FA62, 10 oz tank, alloy spinner etc is 99.5 oz dry. Thats 6.22 lbs. Seems as though I maybe build a little heavier than Peter. I'm sure if I tried I could have got some weight out of the cowl, and yes both the engine and tank will be heavier than Peter's model. And I did use spruce for the spars (there's a least 1/4 oz there!!)

Anway, the extra weight doesn't hurt it at all.

• 4 weeks later...
That is the way we all learn, by trying something completely new. Once done we have a new technique in our armoury.

I still like to try new ideas when I can. Sometimes a new construction method, sometimes applying a technique or gadget from another hobby.

For example, the head rest on my RV-3 is covered in super fin leather obtained from a dolls house shop and did you know that you can by scale piano hinge from Hobbies or Hobbys (Two different companies,) can't remember which does the piano hinge.

I sometimes spend ages trying to work out how to do something, then it comes to me, often at 4 in the morning.