wing mounted servo

Advert

I need to cover the servo as above that is fitted flat into the wing with the top exposed.

The only cover I could find were for a servo mounted flat into the wing on its side and covered.

I thought of making my own but I think balsa would be to bulky. I had the idea of making a plug and molding plastic to make a cover. But my spare time is for flying and would like to just buy some

Edited By Phil B on 25/08/2010 19:50:22

Buy a couple of bubble canopies from Vortex Vacform. They will cover the servos and be streamlined.

Vortex  do a good range including quite small ones. Alternaatively, Pegasus models sell the Sig canopies and I think they do a small one.

Actually, that far out on the wing you are unlikely to get any exhaust residue on the servos.

Edited By Peter Miller on 26/08/2010 08:07:33

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Barrie I had thought of the pop bottle idea but i did not think i would look to good.

Thanks peter will have a look at those sites. On this model they might be ok but on my Tango the servos definatly got oil soaked. On the tango the tail surface servos are mounted in the tail also exposed and also were hit with oil. They have not failed yet but it cant be good

Phil,
         I had a model once with the exposed servos that tended to collect oil. I was too lazy to cover them up, and just wiped the oil off occasionally and in the end it appeared to have no detrimental effect whatsoever. But that is perhaps not really a nice kind way of treating them, so an alternative idea might be to try and divert the oil away from the model in the first instance anyway with an exhaust deflector. Sooner or later the oil seems to find any exposed spots and gets under the covering and then swiftly into the wood and the joints! Can you not turn the back half of the silencer to the best position and then put the deflector on so that it points out at a right angle?
  If this is an option, and I have heard that these deflectors can be prone to going missing, then a little trick that I’ve done for many years to keep it in place is this. You may, of course, already know this, if so, apologies, but you need to take a piece of kitchen string or twine, not too thick, and tie a constrictor knot around the exhaust outlet near to the end. A constrictor knot is more or less a clove hitch with the end tucked under the first turn, it can be found in Wiki in a trice, and if you pull this up as tight as possible it will never come undone, and the ends can be trimmed off very close to the tie. Wet the deflector and slide it over the string and right onto the stub, up to the silencer, then the two cable ties round, not overly tight, and it’s there until you decide to take it off. I’ve done this more than a few times, for the newcomers, and we’ve never lost one yet. I used to use lacing twine occasionally, so I always have some some string in the tool box. It often comes in handy.
   Nowadays, as well as the grey ones, they also seem to come in shocking orange, to compliment your colour scheme.

Is this of any help?                   PB