I E vrs Firefox etc

Kelly

Advert

Interesting indeed. I have in fact just switched to Firefox having picked up a couple of serious viruses in 3 months. One was even in a sound card driver I had downloaded.

My research indicated a different story to the report you highlighted?  In particular, more viruses are written for IE because it's the most widely used browser so attack is more likely.  Plus, with Firefox, the  file type suffix is removed in the cache. (As in web browsing files etc.)

As far as Symantec goes, when I installed their all singing all dancing security package a few years back it kept crashing my pc.  I even managed to get a refund from Symantec.

I now use Adaware free, Zone Alarm Free, AVG free and they seem good at blocking unwanted stuff. I dropped Spybot as it hadn't stopped my pc attacks.

A couple of comments taken from the comments at the end of the article you linked, relative to my comment.

Surely giving the number number of security flaws isn't the whole story?
IE is still the most widely used browser and as such is the biggest target for hackers. The benefits of having a few less security flaws is surely massively outweighed by the number of people trying to exploit them and find new ones.

Interesting stats about browser vulnerabilities.
Wondering how many of the Firefox ones are due to people spotting the bugs as it's "open source". Whereas with IE being closed, it maybe takes far longer to spot the bugs in the first place.

Edited By Bob Moore on 02/09/2010 15:12:18

I've used Adaware Pro for 3 years but I recently had a severe problem and my computer kept crashing and eventually using 'Safe Mode' I traced it to Adaware, which I removed from the system.  No problems since. 

I then remembered that last year my daughter too had several crashes until she uninstalled Adaware.  Problem cured.

do NOT use Symantec  its rubbish, heres the stuff i use to keep all the nasties away and i have virtually never had a virus    

AVAST antivirus    free
spyware blaster   free  runs in the background you have to manually update it every few days unless you pay for automatic updates
and windows fire wall

google chrome browser

nice and clean as long as you do not go to any illegal download sites

The reported levels of "vulnerability" may be purely due to the number of users. I used Firefox for about two years still have it on my  P.C. as an option but have been using Chrome for a while and am liking it a lot. As for security I get McAfee as a part of my BT internet package.

Firefox user here, for a number of reasons.

(1) Portable installation.   No interference with the O/S at all.  Just copy the directory to move to another machine, or back up.   Try new version just be creating another folder to test the new version etc etc.

(2) Better performance.  You don't get that stupid IE pause "loading ...." before even opening a blank page.   Accepted that others might not see a big difference, depending on the sites you use.

(3) ADBLOCK !!!  That's the big one.   No more annoying flashing adverts occupying space on my screen.  

(4) Much tidier control of Cookies and stored passwords.  Cookies can be permitted on a site-by-site basis, can be permitted but deleted at the end of the session etc etc.

Firefox allows easy access to IE only sites, but way of the "IEtab" add in.  I don't know if the other non-IE browsers do anything similar.    Effectively I never need to launch IE its self, just click a control in FIrefox to switch to IE rendering inside a Firefox tab.  That preference can then be saved so that site always uses IE.

Argument for chrome here: 

1) Easy set-up; the history, etc, automatically get moved to chrome when you install it.

2) Again, better performance.

3) Lots of little addy on things. That includes add block, by the way. There hundreds of them... a few examples are:
googlemail checker
"ie tab" (so you can render things as IE, like firefox)
twitter and youtube thingys
chromy calculator - I love it
 last FM player

4)Uses less desktop "real estate" for the bar at the top.

5) You can google things by just typing into the address bar.

6) spell-check. My favourite feature. 

All to their own though really - the main reason IE is bad, is because it is targeted for virus, malware, etc, so it needs more protection. Eventually that'll happen to chrome, firefox,opera, if they ever become seriously popular. 

Yes, I wasn't all that impressed with Chrome either.  And regarding Google, how many people are aware of the fact you mention?  Google makes much of it's money by selling your search information, and even scans your e mails for  key words it can use.  A while back I searched for a new car battery and for a week afterwards every time I logged on to my Virgin Internet home page up popped adverts for car batteries at Halfords. 

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/09/2010 23:21:20

Eric,

Were you using SuperAntispyware from Superadblocker.com?   This is an adblocker programme.

I made an error in my post of the 3rd.  I mentioned 'Adaware Pro' in fact I should have said 'SuperAntispyware Pro'. 

Well, I've used  SuperAntispyware since April 2008 and it's been ok until last week, when as I said in my earlier post it scrambled my system.  I kept getting  message to the effect that the computer had had an improper shut-down and it then closed down. I could only start up in Safe Mode.  After I had deleted the programme my computer operated as normal.  I reckon that there was a bug in that day's update.   Anyway no more S/Antspyware for me.  It's off the system and it stays off.

• 1 year later...