What a bind!!

Flite08

Three perfectly good flights with my small "School boy". Connected the battery for the next flight and then...nothing!!  not a twitch... nothing  Went home tried a new esc, still nothing, tried a different battery (in desperation!!) ....nothing, brain wave time!! rebound (Rebinded?) the rx, (ar6100) works great, Not flown again yet  
    Question, Why would it lose bind, any ideas? I'm pretty sure this sort of thing has been posted before, any pointers chaps?
                    F08 

Advert

Hi F08,
You had me thinking here - I remembered reading something in the DX6i
manual about loss of bind - the bit below is cut 'n pasted from the DX7 manual.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

A: The receiver will never lose its bind unless it’s instructed to. It’s important to understand that during the binding process the receiver not only learns the GUID (code) of the transmitter but the transmitter learns and stores the type of receiver that it’s bound to. If the bind button on the transmitter is pressed at any time and the transmitter is turned on, the transmitter looks for the binding protocol signal from a receiver. If no signal is present, the transmitter no longer has the correct information to connect to a specific receiver and in essence the transmitter has been “unbound” from the receiver. We’ve had several customers that use transmitter stands or trays that unknowingly depress the bind button and the system is then turned on, losing the necessary information to allow the connection to take place. We’ve also had customers that didn’t fully understand the range test process and pushed the bind button before turning on the transmitter, also causing the system to “lose its bind.” If, when turning on, the system fails to connect, one of the following has occurred:

As stated, its claimed to be impossible to lose bind without actually entering the bind procedure and its never happened to me in over 3 years of exclusive spekky operation. The  only time I have had a similar issue is when I moved a model from one memory slot on the DX7 to another memory slot - it then required rebind.

It happened to me once.  Switched on my DX6i while it was still in the case, didn't notice that the foam lining of the case had pushed the bind switch over. Argh! Strip the model to get to the Rx to rebind! Still, it was my own fault, and I learned from it.

Thank you all for your reply's. Tim, the bind plug wasn't in as I'd been flying a few minutes previous
                  Richard & Eck, the DX7 was resting on my flight case face up which meant it was being supported on the carrier handle I just pushed the switch on then connected the battery in the model. There were other models flying at the time on 35 and 2.4
                  Could it lose bind in flight? I must admit this is the first problem I've had with my spektrum  after many, many flights 
                                        F08 

• 2 weeks later...
See post from Richard Wood above. 

I fell foul of the this with an apparent loss of bind. I have a 7600 installed in a model and used my DSX9 Tx on this same model program to range check replacement 6255 receivers.  The Tx remembers the Rx type!   So on returning to the model, the Tx bind information was not correct for the 7600.

There is however no problem binding two receivers of the same type to the same model program.

Edited By Paul Newell 2 on 23/09/2010 10:06:55

Edited By Paul Newell 2 on 23/09/2010 10:07:43

• 1 month later...
Hi,
New to R/C and still trying to work out how to use my DX7
I,m having trouble getting anything to bind or work at all !
I bought the radio second hand ,complete with  2x AR6200 recievers and 1x AR7000
there was only one switch lead with all wires 3ply(three diferent coloured wires  orange ,red and brown)
I also have a couple of switches wich are 2ply (only two different coloured wires red and black 
I notice the bind plug only has two pins the two outside ones

QUESTIONS
1- can I only bind models with the 3ply wired switch ?
2 -can I bind models using the 2ply wired switch ?
3 -can I bind with the 3ply wired switch fitted , and then swap to the 2ply wired switch ?
4- do I have to obtain and fit 3ply wired switches to all three recievers in my models ?
5- Am I doing something else wrong here ?as I now dont seem to be able to get anything to bind at all !

All help gratefully appreciated
Noel

Edited By Noel Eaton on 18/11/2010 15:56:19

Edited By Noel Eaton on 18/11/2010 15:57:05

Edited By Noel Eaton on 18/11/2010 15:57:59

Hi Noel,

I had same issue.
If your switches only have 2 wires, then plug the battery into any channel on the receiver and plug the bind plug into where the battery usually goes. Then follow the bind process and when done remove bind plug b4 removing battery. That should work it did for me and others who had same problem..

1) yes  ( but see Nicks reply )
2) no  ditto 
3) yes
4) unless you bind as Nick suggests
5) Explain fully your binding procedure

You can ONLY bind with the bind plug in the batt / bind socket  ( or the correct harness plugged into batt/ bind. ) it wont work in any other socket.
Follow the procedure as in the manual, and all should be fine.

I am nearly convinced that the DX7 can have a lost bind problem. First lost bind to my Northstar at Kilbirnie Splash-in, and would not re-bind at the time. This was witnessed.

Later lost bind twice to my Panic. It took a long time to lock-in on a third occasion to the Panic. Both models have ar7000 rx's fitted.

At no time could the bind/range button on the TX have been pressed while switching on. When /if this happens again I will send it to Horizon Hobbies.

Are you sure this is not being confused with the Rx and Tx taking a long time to "speak" to each other? I have this happen quite a lot - but its just the dealy whilst the tx acquires its free channels, and the rx recognizes them etc.
Not the same as unbound /lost bind.
Im only suggesting this may be the case

Hi,
Thanks for the replies ,
I tried plugging battery in to aux and bind plug in battery as suggested ,
First only the light on the larger of the two Rx boxes lights and then its steady on all the time ,no f;lashing at all
Bind button on back of Tx flashes then stays on steady but thats all ?
Nothing else happens at all ,
no response from servos, no jitter , nothing changes at all ?
Any suggestions ?
Noel

Noel, procedure is plug bind plug into Rx battery socket, then the battery, it should start flashing, then switch Tx on in bind mode, and a couple of seconds later it should have bound correctly.

Can you make sure you have plugged the battery in the right way up, if you put it in the wrong way round all that happens is the Rx light comes on and stays on.

As regards binding to two Rx's last night I was flying my Parkzone Sukhoi with in-built Spektrum lightweight Rx and foamy with hobbycity 4 channel DSM2 Rx on the same model memory in my Dx6i with no problems, so I don't think they have to be the same type.

As I said earlier - please ensure you follow the correct bind procedure as in the manual - switching the tx on "in bind mode" means holding the bind button in and keeping it in  until the x lights stop flashing, extinguish, and then finally come back on solid.
hen and only then is binding complete.
You can bind as many receivers as you like to the same Tx memory...but not sure why you would.

As a rider to my start of this post I did send the suspect Rx to HH for testing they by return sent me a new updated AR6110 quoting that an unusual fault was present during testing

F08 

Thanks again for the responses,
Just to clarify ...
I wasn,t trying to bind both rx,s to the same channel(not intentionaly at least !) 
I just mentioned that I had both types and had tried unsuccessfuly to bind both of them,
I thought perhaps there was some different proceedure for the two types ?,
Any way to update ,
I phoned an experienced chap from the field where I fly,
I took my Tx and all Rx,s to his home and explained my problem ,
By the time we,d finished our tea and bicuits he had all the Tx,s bound on different model channels and named acordingly ,
He explained the proceedure and we realised the obvious mistake I was making ,
Aftrer selecting model channel, I was turning off the Tr to turn it back on in Bind mode ,
It was returning the "model one selection page" each time
I hadn,t realised I had to select model then........ return to menu page.... before turning off ,and back on again with Bind button depressed  to bind
I also had one servo pluged in backwards !
So alls well that ends well ,
lesson learned ,
Thanks all for your contributions and help,
I know I can use this forum as a source of help and advice in future ,
EXPERIENCE is something that money cannot buy ,
Thanks again
Noel
My appologies to Flite08 for slightly derailing your thread

Edited By Noel Eaton on 21/11/2010 15:42:49

Edited By Noel Eaton on 21/11/2010 15:44:00

Edited By Noel Eaton on 21/11/2010 15:53:31