Vulcan over cumbria

ken anderson.

Advert

Cheers Ken,
The weather today here in Fife (where Leuchars is) is grey & wet.
The forecast is better for this weekend...
I've lived in Fife for 20 years & never yet been to the Leuchars airshow
- parking probs etc.
I should make the effort this year with it being the 70th Anniversary
of the B of B.It should be well worth a visit.

Interesting!  Earlier this year they (the Vulcan Operating Company) said they wouldn't be doing the "long-distance" airshows this year - hence they weren't at Sunderland.  But they did go to Jersey yesterday to display and Leuchars tomorrow now appears on their schedule.  Maybe they've added them in to make up revenue from the shows they missed earlier in the summer due to bad weather?

Steve,  if the cloud is that low then I don't think they'll be flying.  The CAA only allow them to fly VFR (Visual Flight Regulations) - so not in, or above, cloud, even though the aircraft and crew are undoubtedly perfectly capable of flying on instruments... 

I subscribed last year to an information service and get a text message every time the crew board XH558,  the engines start, they take off,  display, land etc.  I've heard nothing so far today.  If they're going to be overflying Cumbria in 90 minutes then I think things would be starting to happen now or very soon.

Is that true? That they can only fly VFR? If so thats amzing & given that they would be taking the machine all over the UK how can they guarantee the weather for the round trip?

Mind you someone did tell me that CAA stands for Campaign Against Aviation!!!

When I was flying microlights I remember chatting to an RAF pilot about the low level flying they did & how they did it & he said "Oh we fly IFR like you microlight guys"...a bit confused I pointed out that microlights have to fly VFR because they have no instruments & he replied..."No..IFR...I Follow Roads..."

Cloudbase has lifted a bit here now...I'd guess about 1000-1500ft but total coverage....

Sorry - I'd have posted updates earlier if I could, but I've been in London for a meeting and this site doesn't seem to work via my phone...

Yep - crew were trying to fix a brake leak at 12:11,  by 13:13 still fixing it but  looking likely to delay trip until tomorrow.  Then at 14:22;  "Plan now to transit to Leuchars  on Saturday morning (landing before displaying)."

Steve - yep,  'tis true,  VFR only. 

The Campaign Against Aviation (yes,  I've heard that one too!) issue a "Permit to Fly" rather than a Certificate of Airworthiness for XH558.  This is routinely done for, amongst other reasons, "aircraft which may not be designed and manufactured to specified civil standards; as in the case of ‘ex-military’ aircraft"  Microlights are another category that are routinely issued a Permit to Fly.

There are limitations on Permit to Fly aircraft as follows;

"In recognition of the lack of compliance with some of the standards of airworthiness, the issue and continued validity of a Permit to Fly will reflect the limitations under which an aircraft is permitted to operate, and will normally be more restrictive than the operating conditions permitted in the case of a comparable aircraft operating on a Certificate of Airworthiness. The limitations are as follows:
a) Flights will normally be restricted to day Visual Flight Rules (VFR) only.
b) Limitations may be placed upon the numbers of persons permitted to be carried in the aircraft, either in general, or in specific operational circumstances.
c) Aircraft will be required to be placarded showing operating limitations and conditions.
d) Aircraft will normally be restricted to flights within UK airspace unless the prior agreement of the country in which the flights are to be made is obtained.
e) Aircraft will not normally be permitted to fly over congested areas."

Quotes above are from CAP733 published by the CAA.

I have seen a comment that the Vulcan Operating Company have applied to get the VFR restriction lifted,  but can find no more details.  The VFR restriction has implications on the airframe lifetime as it means they generally fly at lower altitude on more turbulent air causing more metal fatigue.

Edited By John Privett on 10/09/2010 17:46:16

Posted by John Privett on 10/09/2010 17:39:43:
  The VFR restriction has implications on the airframe lifetime as it means they generally fly at lower altitude on more turbulent air causing more metal fatigue.

Edited By John Privett on 10/09/2010 17:46:16

That must be the reason why my models fail in the end

OK folks,  latest update just received from XH558 HQ...

Today's plan -

Crew in  11:00
Take off  12:00
Straight in to display at Leuchars 13:31

So I guess that means anyone en route Brize Norton to Leuchars could catch a glimpse of the Vulcan early this afternoon.  There's no info on whether they're flying straight back after the display or landing at Leuchars and returning later in the afternoon. The earlier plan had been to fly up this morning,  land then display later.  I guess they've delayed the departure  to allow the weather en route to improve a bit...

Edited By John Privett on 11/09/2010 10:05:16

I saw it on its way north! I was driving and nearly put the car in to a field in my surprise  [no problem as it's a Land Rover anyway]. About 1230 Saturday afternoon south of Scunthorpe Lincolnshire and quite low.  I was on a country road and was able to stop and watch it. Even though I knew a little pocket camera would be absolutely useless, and I've got much better pictures from 2 displays last year,  I still took a quick snap giving me a tiny little speck. I'd resigned myself to not seeing her this year and out of the blue there she was, flying over Lincolnshire where she belongs.   

Great sighting Michael (and well done for not putting the car in a hedge!).

I have a collection of XH558 t-shirts getting long in the tooth - this thread has reminded me to get another couple. The Vulcan is a fantastic aircraft I still remember as the one that shakes the ground and pummels your chest with sound as it performs its STO. I believe I was only 11 or 12 when I first saw it at Fairford.  Awesome power.

I was at RAF Leeming open day yesterday (Saturday)my eldest is serving in the RAF . Vulcan flew over at 12:45 . Did a couple of low level passes and then went vertical. The sound ,smell and feeling in your chest when the throttles go to the firewall are awesome.
There was also BBMF Lanc and Hurricane doing a short display . Yorkshire Air Ambulance, BAE Hawks from the squadrons on camp and two Tornados recreating a show of force  ,A great day out .Some photos to follow when I can get them sorted out.