Wing section question

IanN

I'm thinking of both sizes of Midget Mustang, and the Bootlace in particular, which have all been said to fly exceptionally well both in the build articles and by forum members. I know there are other designs aswell

This was probably mentioned in one of the articles somewhere, but try as I might I've been unable to unearth it

Peter, is there a common wing section you use for these semi scale racers, that contributes to said excellent flying charcateristics?

Advert

I think Peter meant a flat bottom section set at a true 0 degrees at the chord line,  not that the flat bottom is at 0 degrees. There is a difference.  Mentioned in one of his articles ages ago I think.
Could you confirm Peter?

more or less on track for this thread, I recently came into a PM design, American Nightmare.  This is a small twin, with Peter's usual flat bottomed wing section.  What surprises me is just how sensitive to CofG it is.  With the CofG a few mm behind the plan position it was almost unfyable, whereas most semi or fully symetrical sections seem to treat the CofG as a rough guide, not really biting unless extremelt tail heavy.
So, is the sensitivity down to the section, or some other design/buiding trait?  It all looks square and aligned.  The weight is around 1.5Kg ready to fly with electric power, call it 52 oz, against the designer's result of 59oz for an ic version.

For a fully symmetrical section I would go for NACA 0012, 13 or 14. You could even go upt to 0016. For a true Fun Fly model NACA 0020 is OK.

American Nightmare uses Clark Y, a pretty docile airfoil really, CG is shown at 25%.

Since then I have moved to NACA 3412 which is still 12% but has a better Phillips entry and this makes it more like a symmetrical section.

I have found...to my cost...that 25% is fine but going back to 30% makes models very unstable at best.

• 2 weeks later...