OS Standards Slipping?

Adrian Smith 1

A little while ago I reported the poor performance and subsequent failure of my new OS 200 four stroke after a couple of hours use (crankshaft ballbearing blew up ruining said engine). Ripmax sent me a new one remarking that the previous engine was 5pm job.

Well the one they sent lasted for 7 hours of use when the conrod broke through the crankcase!

After a chat by e-mail with the wizard of oz Brian Winch he said there had be reports of some engines being faulty caused by oil loading but not dipelling leading to catastrophic failure.

Anyway, at first talking to Ripmax it looked as though they weren't going toi replace it because the failure might have been caused by "prop slip" - what ever that is. Three weeks on I had a knock at the door and TNT delivered my third new OS 200 FS from Ripmax!

No comments were enclosed but may be something is going on here. Anybody heard anything?

It sounds  a bit like the saga with OS 32sx engines and the chrome/nickel plating peeling off the cylinder . At the time ( about 6or seven years ago) Ripmax eventually rebuilt the engines without charge . I have just used one that was rebuilt and unused in my cougar and its blown after a couple of hours use !  Engine is  not worth repairing now but a 200 fs is  a seriuos bit of money . Hope you get one that lasts OK .

E.D 

Well ED I should be champing at the bit to put the new 200 in one of my airframes but I don't have the courage to risk it at the moment. I guess it's confidence thing with that particular type of engine.  Incidently I replaced the 200FS in my capiche 140 with the OS 160FX which I must say is brilliant engine. I never thought I would go back to 2 strokes after being seduced by four strokes a few years ago. I am so pleased with it I have put a 160 in my Weston Obsession that was finished a couple of months ago. I am sure I will put the 200FS in something in the future but 3 times bitten makes me rather shy at the moment!