Spektrum Module and Wifi aerial

Kevin Russell

Advert

Don't Spektrum supply an aerial that will attach to the module?  I assume this is what you want to do and looking at various adverts they all seem to come with remote aerials.  I think this query would be better addressed direct to Horizon as there might be legal repercussions should a non-standard aerial create RF anomalies. It might well be that the aerial is a "standard" part but only the manufacturer/designer can confirm it with any authority.

The answer in principle is that a higher gain aerial might improve range in some directions, but at the expense of other directions.   For example a higher gain "Omni" aerial will provide greater signal strength at 90 degrees to the aerial, and worse coverage end on.   Sort of more like a horizontal circular coverage, rather than spherical.

Tony I don't want a higher gain just the ability to have the aerial in the same place as the newer JR modules
Martin they do supply a aerial but you have to remove the stock aerial and fit a dummy in its place and the 2.4ghz fits on that + you have the problem of the wire dangling on the back
http://rc-sailing.blogspot.com/2009/01/futaba-9c-with-spektrum-24ghz-dm8-fut.html
a lot of USA users are doing this but as they are higher power than us RF would be more of an issue for RF interference  but it might help with any range issues

All I can say is that making best guess alterations to RF systems is at best risky and at worst could result in prosecution or even more dire consequenses if an accident were to occur.

Using an aerial which boosts ERP would definitely be illegal although I'm not qualified to say if a directional aerial actually does so (Tony)

The antennas are mostly the same, a bit of thin coax going up inside the plastic casing with the centre conductor exposed for 1/4 wavelength.  You can usually see the coax at the point the plastic part can hinge 90 degrees. But one of my routers has a plug which is the other way round to a Corona antenna, so although they may screw together, there will be no contact. The corona one looks like a backwards SMA connector.

If it fits and makes proper contact, it will probably be the same thing, but like people have said, there will always be some risk of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...