'ello Dolly

Tim Mackey

Posted by leccyflyer on 25/10/2010 22:41:11:
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 25/10/2010 16:12:03:
Just adding a post so I can be involved.....I prefer the idea of a dolly to a bungee too....

How big is the Spit Chris...? Just to get an idea of scale. The dolly looks a good option for both EDF & say, a Cambria FunFighter sized model (42" span)....

I don't know about you guys but I've found that most handlaunchers leave a lot to be desired.....the number of models I've seen trashed after a dodgy throw....well lets just say its quite a few!!!
 Hi Steve

The dolly was originally designed for the Cambrian Spitfire funfighter and has been used to lauch a variety of funfighter models including that Spitfire, the Cambrian Bf109E funfighter, Balsacraft Bearcat and FW190,  Ripmax Spitfire, Westfield F-86 Sabre, Zagi E400, and borrowed for a few clubmates similar models.

Here's that Cambrian Spitfire on the dolly

It's pretty near perfect for that size of model and came about after handlaunch woes and a very unsuccessful try of a catapult!

Advert

Posted by leccyflyer on 25/10/2010 22:43:52:
Just adding a post so I can be involved.....I prefer the idea of a dolly to a bungee too....

How big is the Spit Chris...? Just to get an idea of scale. The dolly looks a good option for both EDF & say, a Cambria FunFighter sized model (42" span)....

I don't know about you guys but I've found that most handlaunchers leave a lot to be desired.....the number of models I've seen trashed after a dodgy throw....well lets just say its quite a few!!!
 Hi Steve

The dolly was originally designed for the Cambrian Spitfire funfighter and has been used to lauch a variety of funfighter models including that Spitfire, the Cambrian Bf109E funfighter, Balsacraft Bearcat and FW190,  Ripmax Spitfire, Westfield F-86 Sabre, Zagi E400, and borrowed for a few clubmates similar models.

It's pretty near perfect for that size of model and came about after handlaunch woes and a very unsuccessful try of a catapult!

Tried unsuccessfully today to purchase the fittings for this - where on earth did you get the pipe fittings ?
They do look suspiciously like gazebo roof fittings - but they are way to heavy and large.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 26/10/2010 17:57:38:
Posted by leccyflyer on 25/10/2010 22:43:52:

Hi Steve

Tried unsuccessfully today to purchase the fittings for this - where on earth did you get the pipe fittings ?
They do look suspiciously like gazebo roof fittings - but they are way to heavy and large.

They are the remnants of a child's Wendy house frame. If you take a look in my gallery you can see the details of the angled corner pieces and the right angle piece used for the tail end.  They aren't heavy or large - the pipe is plastic -12mm OD and the entire thing weighs 7 ounces.

Edited By leccyflyer on 26/10/2010 23:48:06

Get thee down to the charity shop, or a car boot sale, or even do a bit of skip-diving. It's half term. Children will be put to the task of cleaning up their bedrooms ready to fill them with new rubbish in a couple of months time. I bet that your local waste recycling centre has at least one discarded Wendy house just sitting there in bits

Yep, same here - they even have CCTV now covering the whole depot.
I know of one case where a guy was taken to court and successfully prosecuted for taking a discarded broken bicycle frame. However, the employees have their own van on site, and one of them seems to spend all his time sifting, and then filling said van.
Outrageous really .
However...off topic - Ill check the other sources mentioned. TY

Bizarrely Chris, I actually emailed these very same people earlier today after spotting their ad on ebay
I asked about returns /faulty stuff and if they knew the frame type ,size etc, and their reply was

" Sorry no I don't - the frame is made up of white plastic tubes about 1/4" in diameter Regards - mighty_oak_trading"

Seems way  too small to me

I did buy some push fit plastic pipe for overflows etc from our DIY shed...but couldnt find the angled fittings I wanted. I have literally just tried a test piece to see if it will stick to correx board with plumbers solvent weld glue, in which case I may see what I can knock up with it,

• 4 weeks later...
Made a start on this project now, and am just trying to decide which wheel/axle method is best before proceeding further
 The criteria is as follows
1) It will be trike with single wheel at rear - Morgan style
2) Model has no rudder and I dont want the complication of dolly steering
3) Mown grass strip -  expect model to be airborne within 40 - 50 yards maximum

So, should the tailwheel be castoring or fixed,
....and more importantly the front wheels....
Fixed stub axles - each wheel independant - or rigid axle connecting both wheels ?
Castor Y/N , Camber +/- or none, Toe in.... or out?

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 19/11/2010 15:03:00:
Made a start on this project now, and am just trying to decide which wheel/axle method is best before proceeding further
 The criteria is as follows
1) It will be trike with single wheel at rear - Morgan style
2) Model has no rudder and I dont want the complication of dolly steering
3) Mown grass strip -  expect model to be airborne within 40 - 50 yards maximum

So, should the tailwheel be castoring or fixed,
....and more importantly the front wheels....
Fixed stub axles - each wheel independant - or rigid axle connecting both wheels ?
Castor Y/N , Camber +/- or none, Toe in.... or out?
 Fixed stub axles would be less draggy if the grass is long enough than a rigid axle connecting them. There is no toe-out or toe-in on my dolly.

The tailwheel is best able to be fixed in any position, to handle models with or without rudder, I wouldn't see any real advantage in having it free-castoring. If you don't have a rudder then it would definitely need to be fixed and manually adjustable.

For EDF you might also consider adding a hook, such that. if necessary, you can add bungee assistance.