Setting up a Test Bed

Stephen Grigg

Using a workmate and engine stand screwed on to it Ive made myself an engine stand.Its so much easier than having the engine in the model and minutes to swop over.Im not sure at what height I should have the tank.I started with it just cable tied to the bench.This worked on my first test An OS  56 Alpha.Ive tried running up an old Meteor 61 which only runs when fuel is put down the carb,and the same for an MDS 61, So ive highered the tank a couple of inches,no difference to the MDS,but an OS 40 SR ran fine.Ive taken a cuople of photos to see if ive got something wrong

Advert

Hi Stephen,
I used to use a very similar setup to your Irvine 40 arrangement for
running in engines and had no problems with it.
The test stand & tank were mounted to a chipboard plate clamped into
the workmate.The fuel feed line was slightly below the spraybar if I
remember correctly.
A Jen, an OS & an SC ran fine with this setup.
I did once have a second hand Meteor 40 however which would never
run properly!

Stephen,
               I also use something similar, a test stand fixed to a length of wood nearly as long as the bench, mine is a Chinese version of the Workmate, very cheap and it’s now an old wreck, but it does the job. I sometimes run-in and test engines for mates, simply because I have the time. I take the whole lot to the strip and do it there, we have a big field!
   The tank is held on the block with elastic bands and also running though these is a length of wire with the snap link to control the throttle. I make sure that I can close the throttle from behind the bench. My golden rule is that no one ever stands in front of a running engine, for any reason. Not even to take a photo, but I’m only being very cheeky here! For fourstrokes read all of that in Capitals, they can detonate and take the prop off, including, in extremis, the locknut as well! Detonation is an interesting story all on it’s own. When running anything other than the smallest lump I tie the back of the bench down to a peg in the ground, you can’t be too careful!
   I think I’d be inclined to have a further look into your reluctant motors, I don’t think that I’ve ever had to alter the tank position. Having the engine mounted on a piece of wood clamped in the bench makes it easy to invert the whole thing, for instance, to be able to test fourstrokes for upside down running etc.
   I suspect your OS 40 SR must be an oldie! I think they came before the FSR, but I might be wrong here. But the FSR was around the late seventies, early eighties I think, so it certainly goes back a ways, whatever. I’ve recently come by some old bits and pieces, amongst them I noticed a twin plug Merco. I’ve never owned one of these, so I must try and sort it out, and if possible, get it running.

Good Luck with all your engines.

PB

Hi Stephen,

four strokes tend to have very good "suction" so they draw fuel well - even when the tank is a bit low. So you get away with a lot. Added to that the 56 Alpha is a cracking engine (I have one myself) not cheap but as they say "you get what you pay for". Some older 2 strokes can be a bit fussier about tank height.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 16/11/2010 20:12:06

stephen, i made a fuel tank stand from some spare  square hard wood, this carries a slec orange tank held between the bars with lacky bands and you can have the tank any height to suit. i run the throttle link along side the tank as the fuel pipe is often level with the throttle arm. i strap it down with some velcro tape to stop it falling of the workmate.be warned that an os 70 4stroke will pull a full size workmate over at less than full throttle(dont ask how i know) my freind always ties his to a wall bracket to test his engines.

My first engine - a Wen Mac 049, in the late 1960s. My first engine test bed - my bedroom chest of drawers. I screwed the engine to the side of it using the radial mount holes, waited until my mother had gone out, opened the windows wide and did it. I ended up coughing and choking on the exhaust which filled up the room in spite of it being pointed right out of the window, until I had to rush out to breathe in some fresh air.

Over the ensuing balmy school holiday days the exhaust residue slowly took its toll on the furniture, paintwork, wallpaper. But I got away with it. 

I've done the opposite - in a manner of speaking!

Recently finished a model, it was quite late and I sat there looking at it thinking "It would really nice to start up the engine and see how she goes - but its too late "

The next morning it was raining - grrr, still can't test it.

It was lunchtime before it dawned on me - its electric!

I'm just a simple oily hand ay heart!

BEB