Setting up a Test Bed

Stephen Grigg

Advert

Brill!>>

>>

I have the same engine (OS 40 FP). Was in the attic for 22 yrs. Cleaned it up as it had seized.  It still had the original taylors plug in it.  I was gob smacked - it started first time!>>

>>

It cost me about £47 at the time. I put in my first nitro RC plane which was a Galaxy Gazelle.  About 6 months ago I was looking on the Galaxy website and had a prang of nostalger and bought another Gazelle Kit. I  put the same original engine in and the result was below.  Shame really as you cant see the engine in the shot.>>

Al

Edited By Alan B on 19/11/2010 15:46:13

Hi Josep.yes I bought a collection  of models July last year and they vhad 4 OS 40"s 3 FP and 1 RS all started instantly and ran perfectly.the only  engine I havent managed  to get running reliably so far is a Merco 61 still working on that one.This evening I managed to free off the carb that was seized(thanks Phil,hot gun this morning) and thats gone on to an OS 35 ,then fitted the silencer on an
 Irvine 35,and prepped the New OS 40 FP gor runn ing in.Checked all the glow plugs also.Still got a couple of bunged up carbs cooking in paraffin

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 19/11/2010 21:50:14

Had to remove tank and check things out as fuel was coming out of the exhaust before the tank was filled .Refittedit all correctly.Then the starter end flew straight over the neighbours 6 foot fence landed the otherside of there garden.Retrieved that it was by there side gate..A little Irvine 35 ran well,my New  OS 40 FP started instantly and ran perfectly,I didnt run it in yet.Finally I tried to start an OS 35,.It was trying but then the tank and its wooden supports started collapsing as I got it running,so 1 hand was holding the throttle push rod whilst I was trying to get the tank to stay in 1 place.Having run up about 10 engines this week the tank and wood had all got slippery from fuel but Id completed this weeks "testing"

Hey Guys,
I made up a makeshift testbed to try out a 37 year old PAW that last ran in about 1975/6.
I cut a notch out of a piece of 3/8 ply, bolted her in and g-clamped the board to a small stool on my balcony!
I had run most of the tank through before thinking to set up the video.
Here's the result...

Call me odd, but I still love diesels!

sparks

Hey Stephen,
Great to see your progress on the de-gumming and test runs.

I had a few comments about the sneaky 'wipe' but it wasnt the curtains, it was a pair of overalls or something that were hanging at the side of the door..honest m'lud.

a long time ago I also had a PAW 19 too, what a noisy , but powerful beast that was!
sparks

Hi Stephen

I bolt my engine to a four-be-two piece of timber and clamp the timber between the jaws of the workmate. A bit of a bodge but it works.

With regard to your Meteor and other non-running engines, I've always found that if they'll run on a prime but not continue to run, the most likely cause of the problem is a blocked carburettor. Failing that try a Model Technics FF7 glow plug.

I'm assuming you used the same fuel with the Meteor as you did with the OS. We had a chap spend all morning at the flying field trying to get his engine to run reliably withoiut success. Somebody offered him a fill of fresh fuel and the engine ran perfectly.

hi Dave,the fuel is fresh,and the carb has been in paraffin for a cuople of days now.I can blow through the   Meteor carb OK but  not the MDS,so its carb is back in the .paraffin .My first though was a piece of wood,but then I just screwed the stand straight to the Workmate.I need now to find a better way to hold the tank.Probably with a big cable tie.