ESC - brake function

Russ P

Advert

Not quite Steve.

The brake stops the motor spinning against a driving force. So, it COULD be useful in a car but it is VERY useful if you are flying an electric glider, because then you need to stop the prop spinning so that it folds.  If you are building a sports model with no folding prop it will simply stop the prop when you bring the throttle to idle.  

David 

Russ

Stopping the prop (so it folds) can really reduce drag and extend the glide so, as already said here, it's an ESC feature that glider pilots will nearly always switch to 'on'. It's surprising how much of a brake effect a spinning prop will have.

Fixed wing tractor prop models tend to have the brake 'off' so the prop continues to spin when the throttle stick is back and where the brake effect can be useful and help slow the model down, especially when landing. Also a dead prop can look a bit silly to be honest, especially if it's a scale model.   

Although the primary function of the brake has been identified. In my experience there is at least one other use.

If your field is rough, or your model has no UC (both true in my case) , then a folding prop can be very useful.

Although not a scale modeller to any degree, I have one model where a folding prop is very useful. The model is a Do335, where even a good landing would have the motor coming adrift from the fuselage mounting. Since fitting a folder on the front motor, this to date has not been an issue.

I also fly a sports model, where a folder is fitted. In this case I was breaking a propeller on most landings, a folder solved the problem.

There has been quite a lot of discussion in the past regarding folding, freewheeling non folders and braked non folders. I do not think the arguments matter much in the landing phase, it is about practicality.

I am not sure if the brake is activated on my scale and sports models. I am not sure if really matters in that case, as I use power on all phases of the flight.

So I guess to some extent, I have gone of topic a little, although I think there is a relationship.

I would now argue for a glider the brake facility matters, but is best used with a folding prop. If not, you are into the argument does a freewheeling electric motor contribute more drag, than a braked non-folding prop. What is certain the folder wins by a country mile, when folded, that is braked.