Twin Comanche

Wolfie

Hi Danny,

I haven't really thought that far ahead TBH. Most moldings I have done in the past were the shrunk soda bottle types and a couple of pulls. Vacforming would be a first. It looks like the side glazing could be done from a flat sheet and that just leaves the front windshield. Next priority will be the front of the engine nacelles and depending on complexity, I may adopt the soda bottle approach for them too.

However, it looks like I shall be mostly laying bricks for the next few days.

Right, the dye for the mortar hasn't arrived but the ESCs have so I have been wiring.

All connected up now and tested. As the PA-39 was specifically designed for counter rotating engines, the port motor turns clockwise and the starboard motor is anticlockwise. Props are the Graupner nylon 8x6 that are available both L and R handed.

ESCs are stuck to the wing spar which is just the right width.

Will be using both BECs with a schotky diode pair as a combiner (just in case).

Now all that's in place the nacelles can be completed.

I'll have to check the exact reference, it's MBR something rated at 20A.
It's a diode pair in a TO220 package with common cathodes.  Each BEC is connected to an anode and the output taken from the commoned cathodes. 

Just some leftover spares from repairing some switchmode PSUs a few years back  after a lightning strike very close to the house.

Final job this weekend are the rib caps in 1,5mm crossgrain sheet.

The rear spar has been pre-cut with the slots for the aileron hinges before the top strip is glued on.

The pair of L/R 8x6 props arrived Saturday so they've been fitted with the spinners and measurements started for the front sections of the nacelles.

• 2 weeks later...
The weekend turned into 2 solid days of car maintenance, repairing coolant circuits and setting geometry. Little time for anything other than cutting the 5 pieces of 10mm sheet that will make up the front cowling.

First rough cut based on a selection of photos for the shape.
Fortunately I discovered someone selling a pair of real nacelle cowls on internet and they had kindly added a selection of high quality photos! So the first rough was just a little out...

This is much nearer. Have to cut out the air intakes on each side and then cut some outlet on the underside of the nacelle to ensure the airflow around the motors.
Might as well do these from balsa, don't see any real advantage in making a mould from this.

It was too cold to spend a long time in the workshop this weekend.

The nose is just 5 layers of 10mm sheet.

The elevators are a laminate of 3 and 4 mm sheet that is hinged the same way as the rudder. The two sections will be joined behind the fuse by a short piece of 4mm spruce.

And finally, the second nacelle cowling is started.

All 5 layers of 10mm sheet have been glued up and the outline traced top and bottom but it appears that I was shivering too much and the pic is rather blurred.

Thanks Danny.

I really have to get some heating arranged in the workshop, its just an outbuilding. Quite large but an absolute pain in winter. Fingers were turning blue after 20 minutes of sanding.

Did some measurements at the weekend and was quite surprised that it has come out exactly 1:8 scale.

How's the Apache coming? Have you found a real one for measurements yet?

Hi Wolfie, lol thats a handy size.
The Apache is on hold at the moment. Don't seem to be able to get back into the swing of modelling at the mo. In fact since Christmas....... starting to feel the urge though so there is still hope Doubt mine will turn out as nice as this one though. Looks really good. ARTF manufacturers (AlanC you listening) see light twins is a good unexplored market
Cheers
Danny

After several hours of sanding I think we now have two identical nacelle cowls.

I will do the fuse/wing transition as a mix of planking and 10mm sheet. The centre section will have a cut-out for a handhold for launching. This is doubled in 1mm ply.

Subformers are plotted for the planked areas. Once completed this whole section will need to be glassed for protection.

Looks like the autofocus on the camera is playing up again. Will have to try and get some clearer ones tonight.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 31/01/2011 09:54:51:
nearly there

I wish!

Not sure what you mean about following the wing line? Effectively the underside is flat with the rear of the wing and the firewall is at 0°. Its probably the minimal incidence that makes it look flat. Once the rest of the lower nacelle fillet is added it will be more visible.

In any case, there's no rush as the lower field has just be ploughed over ready to be re-seeded with grass in early March. Thats where I normally fly from.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to create the windshield from flat plastic sheet. Well the answer is very probably!

1st rough template in thick card reveals that with some subtle trimming, the surface can be a flat sheet.

Final trim and the top edge of the windshield can be plotted. Spent ages Sunday looking at it and trying to work out how to plot the horizontal surface onto such a sloping screen. Thick card was taped to the inside edge of the top of the side windows, run round the winshield and taped to top edge on the other side. Check it touches the windshield all the way round and draw the marker line.

The first test with a sheet of tri-acetate and yes there is no problem with cutting the windshield from flat sheet.

Only problem is that it is so transparent that you can't see it. I had to find an angle with some light reflection to make it visible.
I think this would look better if I used some kind of tinted rhodoid?

• 1 month later...
After a month of the car declaring a war of attrition on my wallet, I have finally managed to pick up the sandpaper again:

The air intakes on the nacelles have been cut out and they have been glassed ready for painting.
The ailerons have been cut out too and will start on them next.