Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

Hi Ton, yes I think we share a love of the graceful lines in some aircraft. The Apache was certainly curvy, it was all taken away with the Aztec

I am happy for us to finish/build it together if you are interested? I have run out of steam a bit for the drawing, but not for building it

Not sure my work on it so far is up to your standards though

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, and if you get time seeing it in 3D

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,
Yes the Apache is the best although the Aztec is also not all that bad

Building the Apache would be great but have still a little to many project on the board.
To be honest if I would build a twin a Bristol Beaufort would be the one on top of my list very close followed by the Miles Gemini.

Have done some work on the drawing and am kinda confused because in the crosssection there is no match between the top and side views.
Not that it is a problem, will do some more work and start showing some pics tomorrow.

Ton

Danny its not going realy fast but here we go and hope you can see what is on the pics.

First start with you drawing to be honest its not clear te me what position its comming from if you want to make a chamfered edge the former looks to small.

A little bid closer look.

The cross sections I was hoping to use where not closed in centre with the centre-line which is confusing and the width according to the top view was also not correct.

The cleaned up cross sections this is good to work with.

Also on the topview they are correct which is very important for placing it in 3D.

Ready to go making a 3D start which is only set as basic.
Make sure all the line are closed there should be no opening.

Looks good but far from correct some more pics later.

Ton

looks good Ton, I know my lines are out because the 3 view Iain posted showed a few kinks. He massaged them to be lovely but unfortunately his computer crashed before he could get the new cross sections to me. I was working with a three view with absolutely no cross sections so not an easy drawing to do........

I really appreciate your help. If you think it would be easier to just build it and sand the bulkheads until it looks right I can do that. I don't want to put you to any further trouble

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny no problem good fun to do and great to be of help to you, knowing this model will be worth the effort.

So here some more pics.

Because the surface is made from only two cross section frond and rear,
we need to make some intersections to make new cross sections which
we can modify to the right shape , as we think it should look like.

Hoping you can see that the cross sections I made first which can be seen in an earlier post look a lot different from the intersections we took from the surface we made from
only two sections. So you can see that it takes some more cross
sections to set the shape of the surface right.

Not bad don't you think.
The second step is going to the rear of the fuse.

Looking to me .

Shown from the rear

Not bad the cross section but not as good as I like.

So after some fine tunning

It look now okay so we can go on to the next step
Ton

Hi Danny,

Have done some comparison of the drawing with the pics and must admit that it looks realy nice and Iam happy with the outcome.

Have done some more checks on the 3view were the wing and stabiliser should go and 3view shape of the nacelle but there are many questions, no problem though we will solve that.

Seeing the frontview and the side view makes me think that the sideview is drawn under an angle which makes it very diffivult to compare with the other views.

Hoping the pics will make it a litlle more clear.
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics but I have a black background on my drawing.

Have done some more on the drawing and will post some more pics later today.
Did make new cross sections and also included an offset with a sheeting thickness off 3mm .
What I would suggest is that you will download a test version of the drawing so you can have a look for your selve and see what Iam doing.
Will post the link in the next post.
Ton

Hi Ton, I am down loading Rhino as we speak, so if you could email the drawing I will have a play later tonight.

I think I had done an offset for sheeting on the fus, and had originally done it as a crutch split vertically. That might be why you thought the sections did not match??

Anyway, I look forward toseeing what you have done, and thanks for all your help.

I get the feeling this one is growing on you

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,

Now we can have even more fun don't forget to do the setting of the programm in mm because when I received your drawing it was in inch but measured that in something like a wingspan of about 728 mm and had to enlarged that with 2.54 to have it in mm sizes.

Have to do some more on the stab and will post it lateron in here and try to email the rhino drawing.

Ton

Hi Danny,
The surface completed with the last piece at the tail missing but that can be filled in lateron.
The surface is also including with a second surface for the offset of the planking 3mm thickness.
Also taken the cross sections with the lines of the fuse outline and former outline.

The next pics shows how its done and such intersection can be done at any location and any angle, the former will always be very accurate.

Top view with a little with the wing surface.
On with the stabiliser same problem here with the accuraty the sizes of the topview was smaller than the size of the profile on the sidewiew.
So a new rib section was made to work with.
Surface made only by cross section and outline's

Setting the line's for the cross sections locations for the ribs.
The surfaces for making the cross sections

Front view of the stab not realy good formed so the cross sction on the right is used to set the thickness.
New surface make with the inner and out cross section and outlines.

The stab wit all the cross sections ready to start on the construction.

Starting to look like a Apache

Ton

Having seen what Ton has done with the drawings, taking them into 3D it is really amazing. I will keep trying to learn Rhino but I am hoping that Ton will help further with the Apache and bring this from my rough 2D effort to a really amazing design. I have made some pretty basic errors in the 2D Ton has corrected those.
Ton has graciously asked if I would mind him taking it to the next stage, of course I am thrilled!
I spent a fabulous day in Holland meeting Ton, and he really is great company. He told me he is happy to design something interesting, if the requestor guarantees to build it. Which is pretty amazing. Well Ton if we get to that stage, I will build it

Cheers
Danny

Yes that is of interest, and I shal cross it from my list of subjects to photograph.
And indeed here it is, isn't tinternet great!

Simon L got me some great pics from Doncaster, hopefully that will be sufficient. I sent copies to Ton as it showed some previously unseen angles, especially of the nacelle undersides.

Thanks for letting us know

Cheers
Danny