Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

LOL! You've got me so sussed haven't you? I'll loft the rear sections for you this evening after my tea and choccy digestives... (plain not milk btw.)

I think you're right to solve as many problems as you can on the drawing board. It will make for a much easier build otherwise you may as well end up sculpting this as a plug!  Don't give up on the 3D - help is on its way.

Happy New Year!

Ian.

Hi Ton, I am not sure what package/s Ian uses. he has offered to pull down the trial Turbocad and give me a quick overview to get me going with the 3D part of the software which is great, he is heading towards a pack of digestives at this rate

Ian has also lofted the rear section and again it has highlighted a few wavy lines, but not many  they will get sorted before comitting to wood.

This rendering is as my drawings are without Ian massaging any lines, and you have seen what he did to the front section in my previous post.

Saying all this it is still incredibly sattisfying to see a design take shape in 3 dimensions. The thrill of getting bits back all laser cut must be amazing and I am looking forward to that stage.

Cheers
Danny

LOL you know my threads wander all over the place Ian, its not a problem to me.

PM me your address Ton and I will despatch some Digestives  

Thanks everybody that has chipped in with help, it is very much appreciated.

Hopefully at the end we may have a plan for a model type that isn't available anywhere

Cheers
Danny

I was very sentimental flying from the "Hallowed Cross" at Barkston. I took off and flew in the same pattern as my heroes in scale. Daft really but meant a lot to me.

Was chatting to Ian Redshaw and he has put me on to an old and rotting Apache lying in the grass at Halfpenny Green Airport. I will try and get over to photograph it, I need some detail information and cannot find one locally (in fact anywhere) Anybody know of one at an airfield near you?

The Apache is the mildewy twin sat forlornly on the grass

Cheers
Danny

• 8 months later...
Had an email from a fellow forumite, Simon. He was dropping by the Aeroventure Park in Doncaster and offered to take some pics of the Apache for me.
Anyway he has taken 70 and they will be in the post tomorrow, I am always amazed at the generosity of the modelling community Thanks Simon I owe you one

While visiting Ton in Dordrecht last week, talk turned to the Apache and I really should take another look at this model and see if I can get a bit further.

Seeing the photos will almost certainly spur me on....

Cheers
Danny

Hi Ton, I would be really grateful if you could take a look, but only if it isn't too much trouble?

I like your idea of making the centre wing section attach permanently to the fus, makes it easy to transport. And it will strengthen the fus in the cockpit area allowing the full cockpit section (vac formed) to lift off for access to the gear and the cells.

What format files do you need?

Cheers
Danny

Just let me know if there is anything you need a photo of, its on the way to the LMS so would give me a good excuse to go

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 19/09/2011 23:18:40

Hi Danny,

Yes could open it but not at home did at work and transfured it to R12 so I can for sure read it at home, but something went wrong emailing it back home will have another go tomorrow..

Did have a look at work on your drawing and must say you did come a longway and it looks very nice should be fun making it 3D .

Ton

Hi Ton, glad you got the file okay, and pleased you think it looks okay so far.
I am pretty sure I have over engineered the front, but I needed to follow the curves and provide support for the nose gear and the heavier A123 cells. I think I may have gone too far with the number of ribs too. Told you i didn't know what I was doing

While i am at it, I don't think I had decided to remove the entire cockpit top so some of those bulkheads will be redundant, perhaps useful as templates for vac forming?

But as you say cad is incredibly addictive, possibly a good job I cannot crack 3D......

Cheers
Danny