Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hi Danny,

No the Apachi is not forgotten.

Had so much fun working on the Apachi that I also looked at another design on which I made the basic drawing for some time ago and needed only the construction to finish.
Also because we had a seaplane meeting which I did not participate and because of that the pickies and video made me starting to get motivated again to work on the drawing and finish it.

Here's a pic just for fun its the Dutch very unknown Schelde Meeuw seaplane from a long , long time ago .

Okay back to the Apachi had some good use of the pics and must admit that the Apache is not the most easiest plane to set in 3D, a great challange though .

But we will get there in time and I hope to start to draw the construction by the end of this week.

If all go's well and the weather is as bad as it is right now I gess that we can take out the parts for the drawiong in about 2 week.

So here some more pickies hope you like the result.

Question for will you be using the E-flite retract the bigger one for the 120 size,
the one's I have in my Tempest.

Ton

WOW! Ton that looks fabulous, really really nice. I cannot wait to get cracking on this one. I was thinking of the 120 sized retracts (or even Chinese clones?) It all depends on the final weight. At the scale we are looking at, the wheels are going to be a little small for grass strips, and therefore the loads might be higher? So it might have to be the E-Flite 120 for strength and reliability?

Cheers
Danny

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Danny,

Was hoping to be a litthe further than only having the stab ready but still not sure which way to go with the wing and fuse connection and having the wing in 3 parts with the middle section glued to the fuse and having a removable canopy .

Or having the wing in one piece and having the canopy and fuse in one piece and making a hatch on the nose of the model for charging or replacing the batt, to me this option would be the most favourite.

What do you think, you have to build it and fly it I only have to do the design.

Ton

Hi Ton, I guess my perfect solution would be to have the centre section attached permananetly, with the outer panels removable just outboard of the nacelles. I like the idea of a removable nose, I think that may give more strength to the cockpit area, as it would then be fixed.

I am really looking forward to this one, it should be a nice change

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,

Okay will go with your option think it will make things easier for you with the canopy stick to the fuse which will also gives much smaller vacuum part in this case.

For the batt there will be a hatch on the nose and for the radio there will be a hatch on the bottom of the fuse at the location of the wing.

Okay working on it

Ton

Hi Danny,

Must admit that the Apache is not the easiest model to construct in a way I like and hopefully you like aswell.

Here some pickies of the progress , its going slow but have made a lot of changes n between so started on some parts allover agein.

But I think that Iam on the right track.

All formers for the fuse in place but still needs a lot of work and a lot off weight saving holes.

The nosewheel retract in place and also the 10 cell 123 batt pack.
The batt space is also good for 2 packs Lipo Turnigy 4S 5000ma.

Top view the base plate also needs a lot of holes.

Landing gear from below

The fuse is splitt in two parts top and bottom with in the middle the green base plate.

Front view

Rear view.

Top view of stab sheeting not shown.

The stab on its seat.

Parts for one site of the stabiliser.

So on with the next step.

Ton

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Danny,

Time for an update on the Apache.

The fuse design is nearly ready only have to do the tail and rudder.

The fuse will be sheeted with 3mm balsa and the frame for the windows on the side will be 1mm ply.

Because of the 3mm sheeting there are no extra stringers used, the only thing that will be a challnge is the radius on the lowerpart of the fuse near the tail.

Here some pickies of the status as it is rightnow.

Ton

looks fabulous Ton, very very nice. I think I may abandon the idea of doing this as a quick build, and add a little detail. Your efforts really deserve a bit more effort on my part.
Cut parts soon at this rate

Hi Danny,

Its going well and looks like the basic fuse design is kinda ready to have that testbuild.
Also made the hatch in the nose like you told me you would like it to be.

Here the final pickies of the fuse;

So thats the fuse now Iam on my way with the wing which is going nice.

Made a nasty mistake already and mixed up some angle's and did forget that when making the design in 3D that you have to be aware of what the wing incidence and dihedral is doing with the wing when working from a topview, because of that the wingtip is going a little backward in compare to the root of the wing .

Ton

wow Ton that is looking so good! Everything looks just right from this end.
I am itching to start this one, even though the Hurricane is calling me to finish her.....

Merry Christmas
Danny

I have a little while yet the nacelles will slow you down mind you at the rate you are going that may only give me a day or two at the most

If the Spitfire was anything to go on then there may be another 6 months in the Hurricane yet

I seem to have innadvertently entered the Woodvale scale weekend, the first Stand Off Scale competition under the new rules launched by the BMFA, with no model ready So as you suggest Ton, perhaps I should concentrate my efforts on the Hurricane as much as I want to build the Apache right now Wo9odvale is 4th and 5th of August.....

How have you arranged the wing layout, is it removable outer panels?

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 27/12/2011 22:30:36

Looks like you were spot on with two days the nacelles are almost ready only some work left on the frontside and the location on the landinggear.
But thats not much work I have the costruction in my mind so thats a peice off cake.

Would be great to see your Hurricane on lots of pics from Stand off Scale competitions so one month left so go like madnees and finish that Hurricane, I think we can start cutting CNC part for the Apache halfway Jan-2012.

Here an update with some more pickies can't make a selection so post them all.
The wing panel with the aileron will be removable bigger is not possible because of the flap.
Question ; Any sizes you would like to see on the tube for the wing to slide on or do you know of a set of tubes for such an setup that we could use.

Ton

Hi Ton stunning work as always, you seem to be getting quicker, either you are enjoying the work and are looking forward to the end, or you are thinking thank goodness thats nearly over! it is really impressive, and I am a little dissaponted that more haven't joined in on this thread. You deserve a ton of praise over your amazing work, and for sharing it with us. I am afraid you will have to settle for my applause.
Finish my Hurricane in a month........ is this a strange Dutch sense of humour LOL
Cheers
Danny

Danny, finish your Hurricane in late spring - to have it ready for greenacres...
This is a much more realistic target.
And about the work of Ton: I am following your thread - but I don't want to disturb your high level design studies with my low level comments....

Unfortunately the plane (twin apache) is a bit big for my collection - otherwise I would ask for a set of CNC parts when available.... could lower also the cost.
cheers VA

Hi VA, great to know you are keeping an eye on us. I will do my best on the Hurricane. Experience has shown me that getting the airframe together is only 2/3rds of the journey. And I do love detailing so the Hurricane may take a while......

I have just started covering, so you can see there is a way to go yet. This is Sig Koverall applied with good old fashioned Nitrate Dope.

Cheers
Danny

VA I am not sure i would want to go much smaller than 74" with a twin, especially with retracts, complete with doors. Two issues the wing loading creepeing up, and the size of the components. The outer wing panels remove for transport, and the centre section was going to remain semi-permanently attached to the fus.
I think, looking at the work Ton has done, this is as close to a 3D jigsaw as you can get, the cut parts will probably stand being dry assembled before glueing. I am mazed at the assembly detail Ton has gone to. Really hope I can do his work justice

Cheers
Danny

Danny - is that a start to convince me about this build???
It looks like...
Never flew a twin before - may be an interresting experience. Also I move house in a short time - so I can cram the spare bedroom with stuff as long as I don't have any visitors who would like to stay over....
And I will move my almost new workshop shed as well...
Let's have a look how much money will be left after the move....
(My experience says nothing.... and this is removal no.9)
Cheers VA