help needed, thanks

steve andrew smith

Advert

hello steve...it is a bit long winded from start to finish........i would recommend you take a trip to the local library and get a book on starting out with RC model's.....it'll have it all in there for you......failing that i could copy my OS instructions and mail them to you...basically will be the same procedure....

ken anderson......ne...1

we'll see what other's come up with....i have just had a look in the search on the forum here under 'starting'....ther's some good advice in there also....

Edited By ken anderson. on 15/12/2010 18:53:35

OK Steve, let's have a go.

1. Bolt the engine down securely, either in the model - with the model restrained - or on a test bench mount. Either way there must be absolutely no chance of the engine pulling free. Check the prop and any spinner are on tight.

2. Connect up the fuel supply. Tank height should be such that the mid point should be about level with the carb.

3. Check the needle valve is about 13/4 to 2 turns open.

4. Open the throttle about 1/4 way and place your thumb over the air intake. Turn the prop over 5-6 times. Watch for fuel being draw up the fuel pipe. Close the throttle so that it's just open a "crack"

5. Connect power to the glow plug - either glow stick or clip.

6. Spin the engine over (anticlock wise looking from the front) with either an electric starter or a chicken stick - NOT YOUR FINGER!!!

If all's well it should start fairly quickly. If it get very stiff and doesn't want to turn over its probably flooded with fuel - don't push it. Take the glow plug out, invert the engine to drain out the excess fuel, re-install the glow plug and try again.

Try that - tell us how you get on.

Final note - as this is new to you please be very careful. Even those very used to engines can get "bit"! Remember, it may only be little but it packs quite a punch and that prop is sharp!

BEB

Steve
If you want to go it alone (like me)  Get the destructions off the web AND get a finger protector . Chicken sticks don't work for me ---No "feel ---And position the prop so that it is facing ten past eight coming on compression.Don't be frightened of it .The engine will sense it (like a strange dog !)
Good luck -Glad we have a new ic man in the making

Ita a bit daunting at first Steve.I was fortunate enough to have joined a club before I bought my first IC,I was electric until than.I had lots of help in guiding me to start my IC engine,learning how to get the fuel sucked through,fitting the glow and tuning the engine.honestly,when I was left to do it myself ,I became very methodical ,ensur nothing can catch inthe prop,move the starter battery far enough away and the starter lead also.Fuels up to the carb,attach the glow,make sure the model in the restrainer,Transmitter at hand and within easy reach.Carefully attach the glow start,carefully offer the starter up to the spinner.Press the starter swich,engine whizzes over,engine  starts,bit of throttle engines running  nicely,carefully remove glow start,,bring engine revs up to the max,bit of fine tuning on the needle valve,bring the revs back to tickover,now we are ready to fly,EXCEPT,I wasnt.All the concentration of safely getting that little engine running had taken it out of me.I was now ready for a nice sit down and cosy drink.I had achieved my goal my engine is running,I dont need to fly as well.In my mind I just wanted a nice sit down after what Id achieved.Of course I flew.It all comes very quickly,NEVER let anyone hurry you ,do it in your own time.Good luck and enjoy the hobby.