Parkzone P-47

James40

Advert

Finished off the last few bits of panel lines and some very basic weathering, also got the 4 blade prop on there.

That's the P-47 Extreme Makeover Plane Edition complete, now on to the BF-109 Tropical paint job

Trying to find pictures of the original squadron is difficult, I've managed to find some Mk1 but not the Mk2 yet, my hunt continues.

A question probably aimed at Tim as he's our resident Electromagician but if anyone else knows their lecky then please input.

I've just done all the stats on my P-47 to make sure I'm not missing a trick or will end in tears on the maiden, here's the stats:

Motor: Power 15
Prop: E-scale 4 blade 11 x 10 pitched down to 6" to bring the amps down. 
E-Flite 40A ESC
Weight: 2lb 15oz (9oz overweight on the standard bird)
Li-Po: 3S - 3200mAh
Current: 36A (static)
Power: 410W
Thrust: 2lb (static) crudely measured using a shoe lace and some weighing scales!

From my limited knowledge on all things electrical and electric planes, that should go ok?
It shouldn't rip the wings off as it's a 4 blade prop and I'm guessing that will keep it slow but have plenty of power for nice loops, etc with that thrust to weight ratio?

Edited By James40 on 31/01/2011 15:38:07

Edited By James40 on 31/01/2011 15:40:01

Hi James

Ok, so you've upgraded the motor then?
I've flown mine stock with the 2-blader and 2700mAh 3S so................

27 amps and 300 watts.
AUW = 2lb and 12oz
wing loading = 20oz sq / ft approx

You'll have a wing loading of 21.75oz approx - so little difference and although the 4-blader will probably be a bit less efficient, you've got an extra 100 watts so I think you'll be absolutely fine.

The flaps do make things noticeably nicer and add a bit of lift when landing so do use those

I plonked a Power 15 in the nose David, it's not really an upgrade as the performance figures are identical to the standard motor, the Power 15 looks like it will cool more efficiently though and with the big prop I thought this might be helpful?

Yes the flaps are set up and ready for action, do you bother with half flap for take off ? I don't usually, I just drop half flap with the gear on the down wind leg, then full flap on long finals.

I opted for the 3200mAh 3S just to keep a little more duration it's 2oz heavier than the PZ standard Li-Po but I think the extra weight won't make it suffer too much?

All I need to do now is sort out the C of G and it's ready to go!

Posted by James40 on 31/01/2011 15:36:18:
A question probably aimed at Tim as he's our resident Electromagician but if anyone else knows their lecky then please input.

I've just done all the stats on my P-47 to make sure I'm not missing a trick or will end in tears on the maiden, here's the stats:

E-Flite 40A ESC
Thrust: 2lb (static) crudely measured using a shoe lace and some weighing scales!

From my limited knowledge on all things electrical and electric planes, that should go ok?
It shouldn't rip the wings off as it's a 4 blade prop and I'm guessing that will keep it slow but have plenty of power for nice loops, etc with that thrust to weight ratio?

Edited By James40 on 31/01/2011 15:38:07

Edited By James40 on 31/01/2011 15:40:01

The short answer is Yes. Strangely, I find the 4 blade e-scale prop on my P47 appears to be very efficient - it doesnt look like it will be but it flies absolutely fine.

Hi James, I think I might treat myself to one of these over the weekend, as I'll be of from work for a week after an operation. Yours looks great I'd just like to say. in fact so inspired am I, I'm thinking i might well finish mine in RAF colours too.

Can I ask what paint you used and what you used to mask the camo pattern on the model? I'd like to use the sticky foam tube I have used before on other models to great affect, but I'm concerned that the sticky side of it will lift the paint I'm masking off. it may not, but I'd like to think there was another simple option if it does.

Also can I ask where you got the prop from? Its the same unit Hobby Lobby sell over in the US, but I haven't seen were we get them from over here.

BTW have you seen the retractable tail wheel mod on the link below? I think its the last thing that would really finish this model off, and will consider it myself:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17299772&postcount=48

Many thanks,

prop.

Edited By propogandhi on 03/02/2011 21:18:23

Prop,

Hi and thank you, sorry for the late reply, I got stuck over in the desert for an extra day.

Firstly, I wouldn't use anything sticky on these parkzone planes, it just pulls the paint straight off!
All I used was A4 sheets of paper, cut to shape and where needed weighted down with little pots of model paint.
I used humbrol spray paints with light dust humbrol primer to help the paint stick. Also worth wiping the model over with some panel wipes to give a good surface for the paint to key to.
The paper doesn't lift if you spray away from the paper edge and from the recommended distance so it leaves a nice edge, just as good as masking tape, the humbrol spray paint covers very well, I bought two tins of each colour, Ocean Grey, Dark Green and Light Grey for the belly.

One thing to note when removing the old transfers, these are very sticky and unless you go very very slowly will not only pull off the old paint (not a problem) but it will also pull off the top layer of foam that leaves a rough surface, you can fill over this if it happens but if you go nice and easy you'll be ok.

The graphics, if you go for the same scheme as mine- 73 Operational Training Unit (Egypt) will now be available from Callie Graphics, just send her an email from her website and she will sort you out, takes around 1 week for them to arrive from the states. I couldn't find many images of RAF P-47's but I do like the 73OTU scheme.

As for the tail wheel, hmmm, yes it will look fantastic but this bird really doesn't want ANY more weight in the tail !! I've got a 3200mAh Li-Po in the belly of mine and it still struggles to balance, you'd be adding weight to balance it with a tail wheel I would think?

Let me know how it goes and get some pics up.

Oh, and the prop is from E-Scale, have a look on SMC website, that's where I ordered mine from. You will need to adjust the pitch down to minimum or it draws way too much current, I've also dropped in a 40A ESC to cope.

Hi James, thanks for your reply. I brought mine today, but was torn between that a Ben Buckle Junior 60 kit, in the end I brought both! I think I might well just fly her as is, then look at respraying her once she's flown a bit, as for now I won't be able to fly her for a few months anyway, and in the mean time I can build the Junior 60.

Tell me, did you removed the tape on the lower wing that covers the servo wires in the wing when you resprayed yours? I think it would be better off to be without the tape and simply spray over the wires once I have the flaps installed. It only ends up lifting at the edges anyway.

Along with the flaps I have the retracts as well, my only concern it the BEC on the supplied ESC, I can't see how it could be up to the job of a full house set-up such as this. I think I might put an external BEC in her, just to be safe.

Please let us know how the maiden goes. BTW do you have an AUW RTF of your model now after your respray? I'd be interested to hear how it compares to that stated in the instruction manual.

prop.

E-Flite 40A ESC
All the wing tape came off to fit the flaps and retracts anyway but the plane comes with replacement tape.

The 40A ESC has an improved BEC so I think I should be safe without going down the road of fitting an external.

Well tested mine today on the stock esc and a 3s 2300. Got 300w for 27amp draw off a fully charged pack. But I'd like to fit the 4 blade scale prop so I've order a 45amp esc today and will fit a CC BEC also, just to be on the safe side. But with the stock set-up it works out to just under 120w /lb, which I think is ideal for this model.

One problem I am having is slop in one of the retract units. in either the locked up or locked down position, one of the unit has quite a bit of slop, the other is basically rock solid. Ideally they both would be, so I think I might send the sloppy one back to Horizon and see what they say.

I don't think the embedded video is working, I can't see it only an empty space, here is a link though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R71Q8rsSzMM

What do you think ? :

Edited By propogandhi on 10/02/2011 19:56:20

Edited By propogandhi on 10/02/2011 20:00:52

Not yet David

I've simply not had the opportunity to launch it ! It's either been far too windy or I've not been in the country.

I am home for two days now though so I'll try this weekend.

• 1 month later...
Hi David,

Yes, she's all maidened out, sorry I completely forgot to post up on here when I flew her due to a particularly busy month at work.

What do I think, well, it's so incredibly stable it could almost be used as a trainer with the flaps down. Mine is no speed demon with this 4 blade prop but I think it's very scale and sounds lovely.
It flies almost like a heavier nicer tracking PZ P-51 with similar speed range, or at least mine is with this prop.
Landings are nice, better to try and do a 3 point landing or it tends to want to nose over, or try and catch it with full elevator to keep the tail pinned down.

The gear works a treat, I like them so much my second BF-109 is now sporting a set, which reminds me, I must post up some pictures of my conversion, bought a replacement airframe in Squadron Leaders closing down sale and I've given it a new coat of paint, inboard and centre wing flaps, retractable gear and the motor from the P-47.

I only wish there was a fellow flyer around here, it would look great to see two of these PZ warbirds flying together.

Well, oh dear !

I found myself a nice quiet flying site after chatting with a few guys flying some PZ foamies a few weeks ago.
Broadwell Airfield is perfect, middle of nowhere and a half decent surface.

Anyway, took the P-47 and BF-109 down to have a quick flight, BF-109 went up first as I'm setting up the inboard flaps, all went very well and the flaps are incredible, it almost hovers in !

P-47 next, it got airborne very easily as usual, gear up, flaps up and entered the circuit. Did two circuits practicing my approach on this new airfield, go around on the second, gear up and into a left hand gentle turn, then BANG followed by CLATTER followed by an almighty vibration, the canopy hatch and some other parts falling to Earth.
I closed the throttle and pushed the nose down, no way was it going to make it back to the strip so the field will have to do.
Not responding very well to elevator but got the nose and wings level before it disappeared from view behind a hedge.

So what happened?

Well it looks like this 4 blade prop has shed one of it's blades, the vibration has snapped the engine mount, and the firewall has split, the only other damage (apart from the pilot looks like he's tried to eject Top Gun style and hit the canopy so he's rattling around inside) is the tail, either the prop blade or the canopy has torn through the left horizontal stab and elevator, I rescued all the parts from the nice short grass, all except the prop blade.
Oh and the cowl ha taken a beating with the vibration I guess the loose motor rattled around inside destroying the moulding.

She will live, I was very lucky, a bit of ply will fix the firewall and the cowl just looks battle damaged.

May try to repair the tail, I have some foam safe ZAP but last time I tried to use it, it didn't seem to stick to foam?