Addiction-X arrived this morning

This bad boy replete with wing bags and bling accessories arrived this morning after numerous customs delays and some outrageous shipping/customs charges.

All looks in pristine order and even I think the colour scheme is in-yer-face.

Going through the manual, aileron fitting is different and the language quite Australian; "The CG is not theorectical, we tested lots and its between 130.001mm and 130.005mm" 

Just in the process of ordering motor/servos etc.

Since I might have the first 'X' version on the forum I could bloggerise the build and maiden.

Andy

Advert

Right, starting the build with the wings.

These are hinged in the normal way but with a strip of covering over the joint.  The manual is very specific about how this is to be done.

Here's a photo just so you can get an idea of how big the control surfaces are:
The manual is a standard A4 size.

Andy

@Phil B  - asked my dear other half, it seems that just over £120 got used in delivery and extra customs charges.  Apparently it took some effort to get one of these despite them being advertised on this site.  Jo even had to call Australia to sort some details.  It was originally ordered early November, but from the US office, who referred it to the Aussie office.

Anyway, here's the fuz almost complete:

Andy

... So far the build has been smooth.  You can almost do it without a modelling knife.

The manual makes a very clear point about performance being impaired if the aileron/elevator gaps are not covered.  Since the supplied strip is about 15mm wide making the 'V' crease has proved to be the trickiest part of the build.  I found that I needed an extra set of hands.

However building in the kitchen is quite handy because there'll always be traffic that one can borrow.

I've ordered up the power train which will be based around the Hyperion ZS30 922kV motor delivering 650W which is more than the 500W specified and some 30g lighter.

The build should come out at 1.2kg with 82MG servos, therefore the power to weight ratio with be adquate.

I have plenty of 2100/2200 3S batteries around but have been investigating the Loong Max Tipple 30-40C range which would allow the ZS30 to breathe.The import duty and carriage were certainly 'ouch!!' by I notice that Als Hobbies do not have Precision Aerobatics on their web site anymore.  I did find some others on a google but they didn't have the 'X'.

My last build was a BH Mosquito, the quality of these two builds are *planets* apart, with the BH parts were missing, parts had to be filed to fit and the CG was miles out.  The only filing I've done on the Addiction is roughing up the rear UC before the epoxy is applied. 

whats this ?????  ====> @import url(/CuteEditor_Files/public_forums.css);@import url(http://www.modelflying.co.uk/CuteEditor_Files/Style/SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/CuteEditor_Files/public_forums.css);

Posted by Phil B on 09/01/2011 10:49:51:
Macgregor industies Have the listed on there web site.

Are Macgregor the uk supplier?  you dont seem to be able to order online though

MacGregor are the new UK distributor for PA, and according to a thread they moderate on RCMF, they will have stock at the end of Feb, so i dont know if you can pre-order from your LHS yet, ill go see mine tomorrow and try to pre-order and get back to you.

The build continues.

I have made one unpleasant mistake, in the quest for huge rudder movements I've managed to wreck a pot on a Hitec 82MG servo.  So I'm almost complete but a servo down.

Here's the motor:

Which looks way too small for the size of the airframe.  I have the very pretty VOX 14x7 prop (all part of the bling).

Testing shows that the motor/ESC/Prop combination peaks at 550W and settles back to about 500W.  The ZS30 will take 650W so there is some safety margin there.  I'll measure the static thrust at some point but just holding the fuz with the motor wound up was enough to let me know that its way over 1:1.

The motor was hot after thorough testing, the ESC was fine, although 45A was enough to cause puffing on an older 20C 2250 3S battery, I have the 30C type for actual flying.

Since I had the extra time I used 30min epoxy on all the linkages.  I'm using standard long arms for the Hitec servos (the blue ones, not the ones the 82 MGs come with).

CoG looks like its going to be OK, I chose the very very forward position for the rudder servo.  I can tell you that getting the Kevlar cords through the airframe is a fiddly job!

Here we are ready for maiden:

The Vox Prop and spinner look gorgeous and sound silky smooth.

You can see the deflections here - they are on the useful side, not sure the picture does them justice, the deflections are slightly more with the battery connected.

The CoG is about 132.499mm from the leading edge, which is towards the rear of recommended range but apparently right when the vortex generators are fitted.  The battery has to be pushed right to the very front of the compartment.

I may get to test on Sunday depending on the weather.

Posted by Lee Smalley on 12/01/2011 21:37:55:
they are very nice andy but for the money they must be joking !! for the price it would cost me to get one of those over i can buy a capiche 180 thats  a hell of a difference

MacGreggor will have these in the UK end of Feb/March, so then you dont have to pay the heavy import duties.

@Manuel  --- The battery is 2300mAh 3S 30C  In other words it can deliver  69A at 11.1V.  Under static load it is giving 45.8A at around 12V or 550Watts.   I also hope that MacGreggor will have the bling spares like the pretty props.

@Lee  --- Yes you're absolutely right mine has cost too much in real terms.  My lady was determined to get it for me.

Quality is an interesting factor,  I have an Iconic 50 EP finished to within 15 minutes of being flight ready.  The build was so much messing about that I never feel inclined to put the 15 mins in (its just fitting the straps to the battery bay and modifying the wing retainers so that they can be operated in the deep fuz).

Now I must get round to taking a photo of the wing bags, they are literally too good!  There are wing bags and there are 1000 dernier padded bags with stitching that could grace an Anya Hindemache hand bag.

They are good Andy people at our club swear by them and i really want the X but not at that price !! if they can manage to sell them for £150 then i would have one!! until then i will wait !!

"with stitching that could grace an Anya Hindemache hand bag"

hmmm not sure you should know that Andy not getting a bit "light on your feet" are you mate  

yeahhhhh !!! woo there coming to mcgregor!!

Edited By Lee Smalley on 14/01/2011 17:42:18

• 2 weeks later...
Not quite a maiden yet, but hit some problems whilst testing.
My main conclusion is that Hitec HS82-MG servos are not up to the job for the ailerons!
I used a chair to restrain the model whilst doing a full timing and battery test. Wiggled the ailerons a bit whilst the motor was running and noticed that the left hand aileron would creep back to its neutral position.
Carried on testing and found that the LH aileron started to shift its neutral position around. This is the second HS82-MG that has failed.
The HS5085 is digital, slightly larger and has more torque. Looking at the size of the ailerons I believe these will be a better choice. I'll search around a little more - any advice on powerful 30x30x12 size servos please!
On another note I was mildly suprised to find that I had to take the timing up to hard to cure the motor squeal (sync loss) on rapid throttle movements.