Biggles' Mess

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 19/08/2012 14:57:12:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/08/2012 19:54:20:

Intrigued now I move the coffee back to position one - sure enough he retraces his steps. This performance was repeated several times.

Now, was it the coffee - or was it just the warmth coming from the convection current? Answers on a postcard please! Maybe a further experiment with cold coffee is called for?

BEB

BEB I think he was after the caffeine high, so he could build his web quicker to lay in wait for the next unsuspecting fly.

Click the pictuer for more info.

I'll have to examine the webs he's making! I plan to experiment with a cup of cold coffee if he's out to play tonight - too wet for him last night I expect. We're becoming quite attached to each other...

BEB

Hi BEB, the snakes are made from 150lb wire trace used for sea fishing inside tubing usually used in Carp fishing, makes a nice neat snake but sometimes I use the same wire trace inside 1.00mm bore PTFE tube.

I get the PTFE tube from a nice Chinese man at 10p a foot, it really does cut down the friction and takes much of the load off the servo. the 8g elevator servo is placed right up front just behind the motor and there is still just enough space for a 400 mHa battery.

Dear Ken,I heard that the AA club members ask, what about with their web ?.....I presume They talking about ''network-web'' delivery of alcohol, into the prohibited areas, which are under the supervision of the ''white coats''.......face 22

note:evryone needs network,net or web (I du not know what terms to use .....but never mind,just go for a beer....beerbeer)

Cheers

Joe (I was told, by friend from Cornwall,that name Jo is female name....ok ....now call me Joe...lol)

He's not interested in cold coffee! No effect at all, just sat there.

Now, just to be sure, I'm planning on testing him with tea. If he comes for hot tea then I think we can be pretty sure it's the temperature that attracts him.

Took a cup of tea out for him tonight - but he'd gone in, nust be something good on the tele. smile

BEB

Would you like this one, BEB?smile p

She's taken up residence outside my back door, making her web between the terrace roof post and the sunshade on the patio. She's a garden orb spider and probably the biggest example I've seen anywhere, about 15mm across her back - and quite a bit bigger when she's stretched out, runiing around the web!

We've had some windy weather here despite it being 39C at the same time and she's had to rebuild the web a few times over the past two or three days, but she certaily filled her boots with the flying ants that she caught last evening.

spider1

spider2

Not the best of piccies but it's a struggle without a macro lens.

Can't stand the critters, personally (shudder)...........smile o

Pete

Those photos bring back the memory of a funny event for me.

After a late afternoon flying a beach slope we packed our kit up as the sun disappeared and the moon rising. and sat down for a yarn and a couple of beers before heading back along the track to the car all of a sudden face covered in a sticky cotton like web (I could hear it snapping as I walked through it.) I realised instantly what it was, i started jumping around dropping bag and model, only to find i had jumped face first into another one, the two mates with me laughing and carrying on, the mate following directly behind start throwing his arms about screaming like a mad woman "it bit me, it bit me on the neck." it all happened in about 5 seconds, third made laughing even louder by now. we get back to the car have a look at his neck, no bite marks but a scratch likely from a tree branch. still hate spiders.

bbc.

Why is it that when you want some glue the one type you want will be the one that is either empty or has dried up?

I must have 20 different types of glue in the shed - neighbours consult me of matters to do with adhesives. Yesterday I wanted some canopy glue - yes you've guessed it, the bottle was reduced to a small semi solid remnant at the bottom. Every else - including things I hardly every use like Gorilla Glue etc. - all fine. But no canopy glue. Ho hum!

BEB

PS Maybe the spiders ate it? wink 2

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/08/2012 11:23:57

I'd just taken the Skybolt off yesterday when the vision in my right eye went blurry, all I could see was a set of legs scampering down the lens of my glasses. I'm not sure whether or not that was worse than the few seconds afterwards when said spider made it past the spectacle area heading south. I could clamp my lips together, but my nose?

Well, was due to go to a customer site today to fix some problems, so took the works van home with me to get an early start.

Some individual has broken into it, stolen my ovenight bag (ie clothes and washkit - value about £20), my normal backpack for work with my(paper) notebook in it (possibly most irritating) and a heat gun in its box.

As a result I've not been to the customer and wasted more than half the day sorting police, insurance and so forth, oh, and autoglass have had to order the glass in special so that won't be fitted until tomorrow and there is just a plastic weather seal on it for now.

Olly

P.S. I think my self edit was well restrained there.

I never thought the day would come where I actually recommended an RTF kit but this one has really impressed me for quality and price, its a J3 Cub perfect as a trainer or summer evening gadfly with 47'' span, ailerons, elevator and rudder.

The cowelling is quite thick as is the canopy so is capable of taking the odd thump or two, the side window apatures are cut for you, all you need do is trim away the film.

It is sold by Hobbyking out of their UK site and I just dont think you will do better for 27 quid, the airframe is balsa/ply covered in decent film and has all of the hardware needed, just add your own electrical bits and pieces and a prop

lw-j3-2.jpg

I was amazed at the laser cut ready assembled airframe and wings, no alignment problems and no wrinkles in the covering, you would think it had been sprayed on the finish is so good, this would be a cheap and excellent choice for the budding model pilot and the big bonus is with a bit of wood and glue its easy to repair.

At about 27 quid and 6 quid for 24 hour delivery you couldnt ask for better value for money.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 22/08/2012 20:39:14

Olly, that's very annoying isn't it. Some people it seems will nick anything. As you say its not the value its the inconvienience both in terms of time sorting it and losing information that was useful.

I had my bag nicked from the boot of my car about a year ago. Nothing valuable in there - but there was my lab log book. Having been an active research engineer for over 30 years I always use a log book or day book - it records everything I do. Appointments, experiments, reminders, notes, telephone numbers, to-do's, even when my library books are up - everything goes in there. Its absolutely no use to anyone else - to me it is my life! I was apologising to people for weeks afterwards for not ringing them back or forgetting something or other, and all because some low-life can't keep his hands off other people's stuff.

BEB

Yes BEB, mainly for my grandson but I get to test it... it really is well cut and ready for quick assembly which is pretty straight forward and have the lecky bits installed, its that nice size and weight that will accept a fivers worth of Emax 2822 with a 10 slow fly prop and it will pootle around all day on a big Lipo as it has the wing area to cope with it at about 13 oz sq ft. At that weight you could take it up the slope with the prop removed and a much lighter battery.

Yeah, 47" span is just a nice size for a youngster learning. Big enough to be a "real model" but small enough to be handlable. I wonder will it suffer the usual Cub issues - oh I mean charming individual traits wink 2:

1. Adverse yaw - lots of rudder needed in the turns

2. A desire to float on forever on landing!

BEB

Just heard on the news that the fastest ever prosecution for dangerous driving in the UK has happened. Apparently this guy was doing over 180mph in a modified Audi getaway car on the M6.

Beats my experience of the M6 - with the traffic I'm usually doing well if I keep up an average of 40mph! sad

BEB