Arising Star

Trusty

Hi all,

So I took the plunge yesterday and bought an Arising Star.
Unfortunately I am travelling for the next couple of weeks, so much to my frustration can not start the build yet.... just gathering as much info as possible in the mean time.
I had the kit out last night and read through the first couple of pages of the instructions.
The first challenge I can see is fitting the aileron servo. I have some Hitec servos and the lead seems to come out the end rather than the side as suggested in the instructions with the AS.

Trusty etl - if anyone could send me some photos of the servo installation it would be very much appreciated.

Taken me 16 years from first looking at buying a RC model to actually buying one... so now really looking forward to completing the build and start flying!

Hi Stassiebal, welcome.
You have made a good choice buying the A/S, so easy and forgiving to learn with, mine served me well.
There are plenty of guys here who will answer as many questions that you throw at them. Regarding the servo wire coming out of the end this will cause no problems at all, I had a Futaba servo in mine and do not remember any issues fitting it.
Depending on the size of the servo you may have to slightly enlarge the hole in the wing to get it to fit (this is normal)
Good luck
Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 14/05/2011 15:27:54

Edited By Big Phil on 14/05/2011 15:29:10

Thanks Phil.

I guess the important thing is to spend a bit of time trial fitting everything and making sure everything fits just right before making anything permanent.

Look forward to starting the build....Sure I will be back and forth on here with plenty of questions as time goes on.

Dean.

Hi Stassiebal,

I,ve just read your post, yes I will take some photo's for you and place them on... that's what people on the forum did for me and that really helped... i was able to look at their photo's and read the instructions....

The star seems to be a popular choice, i've seen 3 at my club aswell as two boomerangs which is a similar A/C...

The wing servo does go on quite easily, I had to buy a hand file from B&Q it cost about £4, and I filed the edge of the box down a little as it was just too small on the trial fit!!, dont forget when fitting the piece of flat square wood to trace around it and remove the covering with a knife!!!....

What epoxy are you going to use? I used B&Q epoxy, it seems to be really good and is quite well priced, there's a 30 minute and a 6 minute repositional epoxy..... as recomended by BEB!!!

Good luck let me know how your getting on!!!
Trusty..

Thanks Trusty.

I have some 6 minute epoxy which was given to me by the model shop when I bought it, but not sure what the make is - will pop down to B&Q when I get back to buy some 30 minute stuff - makes more sense to me.

Thanks for the info and I will keep you (and everyone else) updated once I start the actual build.

Stassiebal

Hi Stassiebel, I would definitely use 30 minute epoxy to join the wings.

Have a look at this site  This guy has done an excellent few pages on building

Hows the flying going trusty?

I wish this wind would calm down its been blowing for weeks here

[Supermarine - please see here for instructions on how to link correctly within a post - thanks - BEB]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/05/2011 15:00:19

Pulled the wings off my Boomerang some time ago .
Replacement FOC now has a nice long ally tube in place of the wooden brace.

Bit of a weak spot on Boomers if the box spar is not glued together properly at the factory

Thanks for all the info guys.

I am hoping to be back home to start building fairly shortly!

Regards,

Stassiebal

• 1 month later...
Well... Maiden flight happened today.

I am a happy guy!
Arising Star flew really nicely and it needed virtually no tweaking.
There is a very very slight roll to the right, which seemed to be sorted with one dot of left wing down trim, but other than that no issues at all.
I installed an O.S 46AX and it runs great with oodles of power.

Managed to do my first take off, circuit and landing all by myself too.. hoping to get some more flying in this week and if all goes well get the 'A' before the end of summer!

Thanks for everyone's input - it's much appreciated.

Stassiebal

• 1 month later...
Having loads of fun with this plane!

She's really easy to fly with no really bad characteristics I can find just yet.
Took it up a little higher yesterday to try and force it to stall, but I was unable. It stays perfectly wings level with and just slowly slowly 'mushes' down.

I also managed a few loops, rolls and half cubans without really trying to hard.
Awesome little aeroplane and real easy to land too.

It's a little twitchy when the wind starts blowing - but I guess that's to be expected as it is really light.

The flying is going well and I hoping to get my 'A' sorted within the next few weeks if real life can stay out of the way.

Now..... what next.....

Stassiebal