WOT4 foamie or FUNCUB???

Gary Murphy 1

After my 1st model which i will be taught buddy system on at a club.
When i asked what kit to go for a was told of good trainers to go for BUT the instructor did say that it is a totally personal choice and anything with high wing and some diedral will be ok,no spitfire or scale!
I like the look of the WOT4 foamie and the FUN CUB.
Would one be preferable over the other?
Also would this be the corect section to ask on suitable motor choice for the FUN CUB. At this point the shop has no multiplex power systems so i need to get after market.
I would like to go the way of ,got to use now BUT will also surfice when i improve.
I did a search but could not find much on fitting out the FUN CUB motor,esc and servo choice.

Advert

Funcub without a doubt, for quality and flexibility

I have both, and I had to repair the Wot4 out of the box, fit new servos to it, and fit a new motor to it.

The Funcub is too light to use for your A test (as is the Wot4 foam), the next best is the Muliplex Mentor, which is heavy enough to take the test.

But just to learn on, the Funcub is ideal.

To answer your question on the motor, would need to know what performance you want.

If you want to prop hang, or just want normal flying?

It will fly for 20-25 minutes on a 2200mAh 11.1V lipo, so long as you are not on full throttle all the time. It will take off in anything from a couple of feet to 20' depending on the motor, and using the flaps, you can make steep descents and short landing rolls.

You don't have to keep the big wheels on

Edited By Steve W-O on 10/01/2011 12:55:45

I've never flown a Funcub - but heard only good things about them.

I have flown a clubmate's WOT4 Foam-e. Mmmm. I found the WOT4 Foam-e was OK, but felt underpowered to me. (I did have a traditional kit WOT4 classic with an Irvine 53 in it - maybe I'm unfairly subconcously comparing the foam-e with that!) It flies well, but constant full throttle or it "wallows" and Steve's right a lot of "fiddling" to get it right.

So, I'd suggest the FunCub personally - from what I've heard of it - which is nothing remotely negative.

I'm sure Steve or Stephen Grigg could advise on a powertrian for the FunCub

BEB

PS Not really the right area of the forum - neither are "traditional kits"! I'll move it for you.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/01/2011 14:46:30

BEB, I'm interested in you comments about the wot4 foame being under powered. The standard motor should give it plenty of power, but as we have seen, they vary wildly in measurements taken by readers here. I replaced my motor, as the windings were way out of tolerance, and I suspect would have caused to ESC to fail. I replaced it with a smaller motor. It won't climb vertically, but the power is good, loop from level, short take off etc.

The quality control is atrocious, and the after sales service is non-existent..

Will wait to hear what the opinion is on the Mentor, and what performance is required before suggesting a motor for the Funcub.

The Mentor is great as a trainer working towards the A test, many people at the club I was at commented it could easily become "the" trainer, mine was the first there.

Hi Steve,

can't really comment much more because as I say it was just one flight with clubmate's model - and I'm no great shakes at the electrikery as you know! But I certainly don't remember having to fly everywhere on full throttle with my Irvine powered WOT4 - and that would go vertical!

This would fly OK as I say - but vertical was very limited and big loops out the question. And it was definately "unhappy" at say 3/4 throttle. Again it would fly but control response was poor and it would wallow and wander about - I felt like it was on the edge of stalling. That too was different thinking about it. The classic WOT4 could be flown with confidence really slowly - I couldn't say that for my one-off experience with the Foam-E!

BEB

BEB, it sounds to me like another victim of poor QC, and had a marginal motor. At 3/4 throttle with the smaller motor, mine is OK. It certainly never has the confident feel of either the Funcub or Mentor, nor the positive feel of my Sonicboom, which also has no dihedral and needs to be flown all the time.  I have never flown a classic wot4, so I can't compare with that.

I certainly think that the Multiplex planes are hard to beat to learn on, at they same time they can be a lot of fun once you have learnt, and unless you do something really bad, they are survivors.

Hi Gary,

I was in the same predicament as you early this year, I went for the Fun Cub in the end mainly due to the fact that I already had the IC Wot 4, well I've got to say I am so glad I did despite having to have one shipped from Germany !

I've had the Fun cub for about 3 months now and its flown in all weathers and winds and hasnt let me down yet and comes with me every weekend.

The cub is so easy to fly almost to easy at times and the flaps really add to what is already a great model,

On the other hand the wot 4 electric which i have seen quite a few of at the field are a great model and for the price ready to go is hard to beat.

Personally as I have said I am glad I went for the Multiplex Fun cub as not only is the build quality much higher but I also chose motor esc myself and have had no trouble and can get 20mins on one charge of a 2200  

Galaxy may still have some Fun Cubs in stock,they will advise you on the powertrain to suit you.also the battery,I love my FC its very relaxing to fly and very forgiving.Dont  worry about the flaps initially I never use mine only by accident,keep it simple to start with.Galaxy have an advert towards the top right,.Also ask them to ensure battery connections are compatible to the speed controller.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Steve is correct about the Wot 4 foam-e, out of the box the performance goes from abysmal to Wow!

I was lucky, if I remember correctly I was on the top end of figures posted here 340 watts at 32 amps and after 80 plus flights I'm only just getting round to a re-vamp

Ordered a 'Fun Cub' yesterday from SMC as I have heard so much about it, nice some times to just have a stress free lazy day in the local park

Have a few spare motors, servos etc so hoping to be flight ready with what I have.

Found an 840 Kva and a 1250 Kva I think they both came from GC will try the 840 as I would like to use a large prop.....also an opportunity to use my Hobby King 'Orange' Futaba Rx been a bit scared to try it out on my big stuff although I haven't heard any horror stories yet!
JC