E-scale Supermarine Seafire

scott cuppello

Advert

• 5 months later...
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 16/06/2011 16:49:17:
Mmmmm, very nice..they seem to have got the nose about right...better than a lot of ARTF Spitfires anyway!!

Wonder if they'll offer a camouflage version...?
Funny you should say that because I was thinking the exact oposite... The nose is not right at all.

Hugh

Is anybody prepared to hazard a guess as to which mark this ARF is meant to represent?
From the fuselage and tail, I'd say one of the Merlin engined versions, but the chin scoop would suggest otherwise. If it is meant to be a Griffin powered mark, where are the rocker cover bulges?

From the Spitfire Association Website.

Seafire IB: navalized Spitfire VB (total 166)
Seafire IIC: catapult hooks and strengthened landing gear; Merlin 32 and four-blade propeller (total 372)
Seafire III: double-folding wing, 1,585-hp (1182-kW) Merlin 55M (total 1,220)
Seafire XV: single-stage 1,850-hp (1380-kW Griffon VI and asymmetric radiators as Spitfire XII; most with sting hook; late production teardrop canopy (total 390)
Seafire XVII or 17: as Seafire XV with teardrop canopy; often strengthened landing gear; some (FR.17) with camera in place of rear tank (total 232)
Seafire 45: same new airframe as Spitfire 21; non-folding wing; Griffon 61 (five-blade) or 85 (contaprop) (total 50)
Seafire 46: as Seafire 45; teardrop canopy; FR.46 with rear-fuselage camera; late production Spiteful tail (total 24)
Seafire 47: folding wing (most hydraulic); 2,375-hp (1772-kW) Griffon 87 or 88 with contraprop and carburettor air inlet just below spinner; increased fuel; late production all FR type with camera (total 140)

From the descriptions above, I'd say most likely an XV... But again, where are the rocker cover bulges?

Not wanting to start a flame war here, but as this is supposed to have been "... designed in the UK in co-operation with the Fleet Air Arm Museum... " I for one would expect that they would make an effort to get the shape right since they apparently have gone to some effort to get the "Sea Grey" right.

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/06/2011 09:46:16

Posted by Keiran Arnold on 17/06/2011 11:51:08:
Hugh, I would sumise its a MkIII from various descriptions on the net
Which would make it merlin engined... Completely different shaped nose and no chin scoop... Also, the Mark three has assymetric underwing radiator scoops. The photos I have seen of the underside of this have symetrical underwing radiators.

Not a Mark III then.

Hugh

Hi Hugh looked a bit deeper:

"With short Griffon nose, four-blade propeller, cut-down rear fuselage, streamlined bubble canopy and normal-size fin, the Mk. XVII looked unlike any other Spitfire/Seafire mark and was also arguably the best looking of all the Seafires. 233 of this variant were produced. This particular Seafire was built in April 1946 at Westland Aircraft in Yeovil.

The restoration project of SX336 had a long gestation period. The derelict fuselage was discovered in the scrap yard in Warrington, Lancashire in 1973. As a potential but rather difficult restoration object it changed owners many times. Only when acquired by Tim J. Manna, in November 2001 did the long-term restoration gain momentum. The aircraft made its first post-restoration flight on 3 May 2006 in North Weald, almost exactly 60 years after its maiden flight."

So you are right in that it is missing the bulges for the Griffon engine, an optional modification for potential buyers perhaps