What R/C flight simulator?

Alan Brock

We've been playing with....sorry....TESTING the RC Plane Master here in the office this week. It may just be a future subs gift but for £19.99 it takes some beating. Granted the graphics aren't on a par with FS One or Aerofly Pro' but the flight model is good so it would make a perfectly good fixed wing training aid.

David

Oh yes, I dont doubt it, but of course with a sim that uses a regular tr, at least that can be used to actually fly a model !

If Alan only wants to fly simulators, then this sounds a good bet, but of course, if he intends to fly "real models"..........

Incidentally, does it come in either mode, or is it changeable ? 

I've used quite a few over the years. I have found that the good graphics of the latest ones (Reflex XTR and Phoenix are the ones I have made significant use of) allow me to maintain a spatial awareness of the flying field and where the model is in relationship to the field. This allows the possibility of practising circuits and landings. Earlier sims with only limited graphics only seemed practical for basic flying. They were, and still are plenty good enough for getting to grips with "control reversal" when flying towards yourself, and hovering, both tail in and nose in with helicopters. As has been already said you get what you pay for. The amount that you need to pay to get what you want is of course steadily reducing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought the RC Plane Master. Although my graphics specifications are quite low, Its not bad on my pc. Haven't got all the settings right yet but working on it. Haven't done very long flights but all the crashes are very realistic and ammusing with loads of bits flying off the plane.

Don't know how they can make it for the money. Wish I knew that RCME were giving one away free with a subscription before I bought it.....

Having looked at all the web chat about simulators, I arrived at the conclusion that

Hanger 9s FS one or the Phoenix were, if not the best the most reasonable in price,

while being quite realistic in model reaction to control input. The graphics were well thought

of as well. The Great Planes RealFlight G3.5 is also well thought of, the only down side to

this system being that you have to pay out again if you want to add more models, while the

FS one and Phoenix offer free add ons. In the end I went for the Phoenix, not just

because it was cheaper but it has easy access to the system menu, to change planes and

settings easily. I have been very pleased with my choice and it works very well with my JR

mode 1 tranny. I am also learning to fly helicopters without the cost of repairs.

the realflight G3.5 adjusts the view to keep the ground in view which helps orientation greatly.  it does require a good graphics card, but it has some very good slopes and I've been flying powered planes off the slope and switching off the engines as soon as I take off. PSS, great fun with jets.

another plus for Pheonix? They currently have an open beta available that allows you to fly with other people over the web, you will need a broadband connection of course, but it does work really well.

The different aircraft fly and feel appropriately different and the level of support is superb

I've had my copy for over a year and really couldn't have done without it for my flying fix this "summer" 

I can recommend RC PlaneMaster it is fantastic value. I started with FMS which was ok but not very realistic for my trainer. I was able to customise the physics on plane master to make the 4 channel trainer fly in a similarly way to my real trainer.

I also like the fact that it comes with its own controller which means I do not need to wear out my transmitter or worry about having it charged to use the sim. The only drawback is that it does no do helicopters.

Bruce