Charge Rating 2C & 5C

Tony H

Advert

Posted by Tony H on 17/01/2011 16:53:16:
Hi Guys,

I have Overlander Sports lipos which have a charge rate of 2Cmax and a Loongmax which has a charge rate of 5Cmax.

Does anyone charge there Lipos at more than 1C and what are there results? is it safe? does it reduce the packs life?

Tony
 Many of my Lipos say 5C on the packaging, but I still charge them at 1C. As they are mostly 4000mah+ then to charge them at 5C would mean 20amp charge rates,  which is more than my chargers can accommodate and more than my leisure battery can usefully produce for any period of time.

No thanks, I'm perfectly happy charging at 1c, with either two or three packs on the go at a time - one on charge, one ready for flight.

I have 16 4000  4s lipos all are able to be charged at 5c but like Leccy says my charger will not put enough power to charge at 5c and having so many lipos I dont run out in a session. All are charged up as soon as I get home. I am able to charge 6 lipos at a time so it doesnt lake long to have them all ready for the next session
Garry

Posted by Tony H on 17/01/2011 18:03:28:
My charger says it's 2C capable but it's only a 50W charger. would it be possile to speed the charge up a bit at say 1.5C or 3.3amps?

Yes. But it may not be ideal as many chargers have a safety feature which stops them putting too much in, and you would be getting rid of that. But then again, some don't. 

Try telling your charger that your pack is 1.5 times the capacity you want to charge, and you will get 1.5 times the current (if the charger is any good...). 

My charger says it's 2C capable but it's only a 50W charger. would it be possile to speed the charge up a bit at say 1.5C or 3.3amps?

Tony, I have 3 different chargers. If I enter a current into any of them that will result in a charge rate greater than the max power the charger can handle the current is automatically limited to within the power rating. I think that your charger will behave in the same manner so that even if you entered say 4.4A  the charger would limit itself to perhaps 4A or lower.

Like Leccy I always only charge at 1C max as I have plenty of spare packs that are charged in advance.

Posted by birdy on 17/01/2011 18:19:43:

Yes. But it may not be ideal as many chargers have a safety feature which stops them putting too much in, and you would be getting rid of that. But then again, some don't. 

Try telling your charger that your pack is 1.5 times the capacity you want to charge, and you will get 1.5 times the current (if the charger is any good...). 

Birdy, if I understand what you're suggesting I think it could be dangerous. I don't see how it will increase the charge current but it would be removing one of the chargers' safety features.
Fooling the charger into over-riding the max capacity could result in it continuing to charge a fully charged battery that's past it's peak performance & possibly a little out of balance.

Most chargers, as well as a maximum charge current, also have a maximum wattage rating, which limits the current they can provide at higher voltages.
This means that, although your (typical) 5A capable, 50W max charger can supply 5A to a 2s (8.4V at capacity) Lipo, it will only be able to charge a 4s (16.8V at capacity) LiPo at 2.9A.

Posted by Tony H on 17/01/2011 20:57:37:
So what would th max be on my lipos as they are 11.1v 3s?
11.1v is the nominal operating voltage (3.7v/cell). The fully charged  figure is 12.6v (4.2v/cell)
So 50W/12.6v = 4A.
But in reality this is only approximate. Your charger might settle on a figure slightly above  this during the initial charging if the battery is fairly well discharged then drop below this most of the time as the charge progresses

Edited By PatMc on 17/01/2011 21:37:22