Charge rate for Tx and Rx packs?

Advert

I must admit that I and many at my club regularly charge at the field at 1C leaving the battery in situ in the Tx and using the inbuilt charging jack. I have always assumed that with the Tx switched off none of the circuitry of the Tx is involved and the jack is connected direct to the battery although it may use the track of the PCB for part of the circuit.Is this not the case? The Tx is a Futabu and it is not particularly convenient to disconnect the battery in the field and even more awkward to reconnect it as the pins on the circuit board are well inside the Tx casing. If there is a real danger of damage by charging at 1C via the charging jack I will fit an extension to the internal battery connection so that disconnection and reconnection of the battery is more convenient.

hi seecomber,
i have seen on many occasions mostly futaba charging at high rates through the tx can cause serious damaged the charging circuit. I would strongly advise removing the battery for fast charging. The circuitry is not designed for high current loads.

I understand it can be inconvenient but given the risk its not worth it, in my opinion.

Regards
Circus Bear

Edited By Circus Bear on 30/01/2011 18:59:23

I remove my TX battery before charging, I do all my batteries at 1C have done for the last 10 years and I can honestly say I've never had any problems modern batteries are designed to be fast charged, to be honest I could never see the argument against, in the days of Nimh and Nicad flight packs for electric models you would happily fast charge these so why non your flight pack in your IC model or TX?

Sorry Andrew I miss read your post :s