TSR2

Wolfie

Advert

Stripped just about everything out the fuse to be able to run the pushrods and cable to the new position. Servo mount designed and assembled.

After several trial attempts the servo arm position and operating ranges were programmed. What soon became clear was that when operating at near normal speed the servo was quite happy. But as soon as it was slowed down it became more and more unwilling and if ran slow enough, it would simply stop, stalled.

It's not making nice noises at this speed... In the scrap box I discovered a 3:1 gearbox for a SP300 motor. Maybe if I can graft the drive pinion onto the servo output and connect the position feedback pot to the output gear?

Wolfie,
You're an inspiration. I'm never going to moan about planking a fiddly bit of fuselage again!
I'd love to see this plane in the air. Absolutely fantastic.
Do you do this full-time? If I started a project like this to do in my spare time I'd probably never finish it...T

Thanks Tony.
I really like planking for all the complex shapes that you can create with it.

As for doing this full-time! (where's that ROFL smilie....) I started this in 2006. What with the house restoration, full time job, animals, cars etc. If I get 10 minutes a day I consider myself lucky. Oh, I forgot, there might be one or two other models as well.....

The 3:1 gearbox doesn't need much in the way of modification for the 1st prototype.
This is just a proof of concept before serious metalwork begins.

Modifications to the servo are
- remove the travel limit from the final gear. In this servo all the gears are brass and the travel limit is a steel pin inserted into the gear. This can be easily pulled out.

- the feedback pot is just held in place by a single screw. The case is slotted to bring it outside. Because the gearbox is now reversing the sense of the movement, the pot need to be reversed to provide feedback in the correct sense too. This means just reversing the wires to the track ends.

End result is, it works!
Operating speed is around 1/3 of a second for 45°, quite irrelevant in this case as it will be slowed down even more.

Ady,
Thanks and congratulations of the maiden of your TSR2! There seem to be quite a few of them around now. Out of a 4 year build project I reckon that at 18 months were on the undercarriage.

Simon,
Thanks for the reminder.
What I have done now is to replace the mechanical limit pin in the final brass gear. The limit pin would lock the mechanism at approx 300° total movement. However I need less than 90° at the final output arm. As the reduction is 3:1 I can have the rotation needed and keep the safety lock. There will also be a 3A semiconductor fuse in the supply line to this servo just in case!

• 1 year later...

Keith,

I remember the situation well in 1965 the year I left the 6th form at school. On the stength of it I thought at the time it was not worth joining the aircraft industry. My older brother served an apprenticehip at the Hawker Aircraft co Kingston,before becoming a chartered mechanical engineer. His son Nigel however did join British Aerospace at the same Kingston location and recently had to suffer the cancellation of the Nimrod 4 after working with the design team for 14 years. As you can imagine he worked with other engineers who were involved with the TSR2 who were still bitter about the cancellation years after.

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 16/04/2012 11:02:06

Unfortunately not a lot of flying at all. Have been suffering with vertigo since last summer, doc says its related to crystals in the inner ear detaching causing instant loss of balance. Didnt happen often but is scary when it does so flying was out. Good news is that it hasnt happened for over 3 months now so it is likely that it was a transient episode.

There was also the small issue of a friends dogs bursting into the workshop and knocking the TSR2 off its stand and onto the TC that was underneath. Repaired both over the winter.

Just found this thread. Wow that is amazing Wolfie, I love the model. Would love to see some video...

I am also a TSR2 fan, I built an electric one back in 1992, but in those days the best I could do was one with a pusher prop, not EDF. It was based on the plan by Jeremy Collins that was for an OS25, and I lightened it considerably and converted it to electric. Originally I flew it on 7 cells (nicads in those days of course) and it flew but only just, so I bit the bullet and upgraded to 10 cells which made a huge difference. Hand launch only, nothing clever like retracts or flaps!

The attached photo was taken at the Plumpton Model Show by Pete Nicholson for his column in EFI.

Andy

TSR2

you may be surprised to know, that bits of the TSR2 are still flying, good friend of mine Harold Dobekin bought all the machined mainspars for scrap after the event, they have been the mainstay of his model metal work for many years, having been turned into engine mounts, retracting undercarts, etc etc, but then, many vulcans where turned into coke tins, ho humdont know

Many thanks for the update Wolfie and sorry to hear about your Vertigo problems and hope you will be cured by now. I assume that you have fully completed your model and maybe go on your next to do list? Perhaps the Lockheed Starliner or Twin Comanche? It is lovely to know that the TSR2 flies on (in model form) and not surprised that some people are still bitter about the cancellation. (I was too young to be bitter but am still sad that the axe fell when it happened.) I believe that the F35 now is in worse state then the TSR2 but the F35 project still goes on. (Just) and I have read the book, TSR2 - Britains lost bomber by Damien Burke, an interesting read. Keith

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread.

But i have to mention that while at the great dorset steam fair this year with some models.

i met a chap who did his aprenteship at thorbury and was there when they were shooting holes in the tsr2.

he told me that one day a flight of lightenings turned up and the pilots just shook their heads as they walked away.

Tony B