Dogfighter - new Multiplex release

David Ashby - Moderator

Maidened mine this morning...

OMG LOL WTF!

Launch was without any drama or swing to the left.

Rock steady. Roll rate amazing, even with 50% rates. Need to increase the expo to around 50% I reckon.

Great duration from a 2200 pack - and it's fast!

Love it!

Advert

Posted by Jon Laughton on 14/05/2012 06:25:01:

FF - keep an eye on those hinges. I had to install new ones on the port aileron and also at the base of the rudder...

Enjoy.

Jon

I will - but never had a problem with my other Multiplex offerings. But then again, they don't get such a hard life as this little critter is going to get!

Well, first job this morning was to order the folding prop option.

Broke two APCs yesterday evening on my rough meadow flying field.

Also - the final arrival into a tussock of grass not only broke the prop - the deceleration caused the fin to crack where it joined the fuselage. Anyone else experienced this?

Flying this very fast model at 8:45pm in flat calm with a setting sun was fantastic. What a plane!

FF yes I did have the same problem after a poor flight and subsequent reintroduction to terra firma! A bit of cyano and a cocktail stick sorted that out though.

For info: I am thinking of changing the elevator linkage so that there is a z bend in it such that I can more easily adjust the quicklink from the 'outside' rather than from the inside when I have to try to get an allen key into the gap between the horn and the rudder...anyone else done this?

Jon

Now 10 flights under her belt.

9 x 7 Multiplex folding prop set has proved its value - but does knock the top speed down a bit - but that's not a bad thing...

I find it impossible to slow the darn thing down - even on cut and glide landing approaches. I actually look forward to a moderate breeze!

Noticed that it fishtails a little bit at times. CG dive test showed a fairly neutral response - so maybe I can nudge the CG forward a bit.

Need to increase the elevator throw, as it does not match the roll response.

I love the locked in feel - makes you look a very good flyer.  Massive loops with a roll in the top section are simply awesome.

9 Minute flights from a 2200 pack consumes around 1800 mAh, with everything barely warm.

I think I will retro fit the rudder - I'm missing doing those towering stall turns!

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 22/05/2012 12:55:43

For some reason, mine has come out light at 750 grams. I'll tape the rudder servo in place and have a trial run with balancing.
Get the folding prop, sourced mine from Slough Models. Their online shopping is much better than their F2F!

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 22/05/2012 18:37:57

I have just come off the park opposite home after 60mins fun with mine, what a blast these models are.. the rudder servo is worth it, mine balanced out okay with a larger lipo... wink.. Even with a good balst about, I can manage 12-14mins in the air.. great model.

Posted by Area 51 on 22/05/2012 19:32:08:

I have just come off the park opposite home after 60mins fun with mine, what a blast these models are.. the rudder servo is worth it, mine balanced out okay with a larger lipo... wink.. Even with a good balst about, I can manage 12-14mins in the air.. great model.

Brave man to let this loose in a park - it eats up the sky!

• 5 years later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

Contemplating adding a rudder servo to my Dogfighter because I think it would widen the flight envelope somewhat, and because it feels very strange to fly without using rudder.

From reading here it seems there are those that do and those that don't. Is there an overall consensus?

I'm running a very light setup of 682g with a 1800 3S lipo and I still have scope to move the battery forward to obtain cg. If absolutely necessary I could substitute the 1800 lipo for a 2200. Alternatively, I'm also thinking of adding the folding prop option which would also easily compensate for the rudder servo.

Just fishing for some thoughts from anyone who cares to chime in.

Thanks,

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 15/08/2017 16:09:20

Hi Steve

No real consensus on the rudder servo I guess. In the end I did not bother. I have to replace a chattering aileron servo, so I may re-think this.

I found the folding prop to be a must. In terms of LiPo, I've gone with 2200s and this gives a good 9 mins on a 9 x 7 prop. I have recently switched to Dynamic packs and they are lighter than my originals but this has had no noticeable effect in flight.

Classic model. Mine is 5 years old and stills brings a smile to the face when flying.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a rudder servo, and rarely use it, it doesn't appear to have much authority and I don't really use it for the yank and bank flying

Great model, 3 cell 2200's and the higher C Nano packs give it extra oomph.

My son has the race motor and it is soooo much faster!