Dogfighter - new Multiplex release

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

Posted by George Worley - 4-Max on 17/02/2011 13:38:00:
The latest info from Multiplex is that the Dogfighter is due in June/July 2011 and Web price should be around £80 for the basic airframe and £160 for the RR Version. They are only listing one type so I presume both sets of stickers are included. Until I actually receive my stock I can't confirm this.

Just read their blurb and they say there are 2 decal sheets supplied with the model

Edited By George Worley - 4-Max on 17/02/2011 17:34:08

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Picked up a Multiplex Dogfighter the other day (despite initially saying I wouldn't buy one) and having assembled MPX kits in the past, this one is really nicely molded as usual with minimal flash and a very smooth skin. The plane comes in a dense white Elapor foam so is therefore a blank canvas for the more artistic amongst us. Two decal sheets are supplied, but IMHO are only fit for the spares box as they are a bit gaudy. The comprehensive hardware supplied is up to MPX's usual standards, although I do question the inclusion of a foam spinner, and the plane can be either 3 or 4 channel dependant upon your requirements. I've not opted for either of the tuning sets as I'm too tight (£££££!), but instead chosen my own power train which will supply about 400W at a fraction of the cost. With an AUW of just less than 2lbs it should have a respectable turn of speed and should be a lot quieter than my Funjet.
Can't wait to get started!

What on earth is the point? Might as well have a Spitfire, Hurricane,Mustang or whatever.

With that said, it looks more like a Spitfire than some ARTFS that abuse the name Spitfire.

Wonder if it is so that the German company Multiplex doesn't have to produce specific Axis fighters to go against those Allied "dogfighters" with all the associated baggage?

Posted by leccyflyer on 09/09/2011 12:18:25:
What on earth is the point? Might as well have a Spitfire, Hurricane,Mustang or whatever.

Sounds like you are missing the point

The point is not to be a scale representation of a WW2 or post-WW2 fighter. The point is to have a fantasy aircraft that is roughly in the style of that era.

With this one, you don't have to feel guilty when you finish it in a way that is not historically accurate.

Like what this guy has done in a thread at an "art" forum. Spitfire in German WW1 colors, Boulton Paul Defiant with R2D2 in the back, etc:

Edited By perttime on 10/09/2011 15:57:06

Like I said, what's the point?

There are any number of real, scale, non-military colour schemes for fighter aircraft. The Reno racers give a pletora of such schemes.

This is different, it's making a generic, no-descript, not-even-semi scale airframe for no discernible reason. Would they fly any better than a Cambrian Spitfire - or, perhaps closer to the mark - a Robbe Spitfire, of the same size?

It's a bit like going to all the trouble of building/buying a gas turbine and then putting it in a Wot-4.

Put it this way:
I specifically DO NOT WANT scale models. They are just poor attempts to copy "reality", and thus inferior.

I much prefer Fantasy designs that could, maybe, be feasible as man-carrying aircraft. The Gee Bee R3 is a good example of one that made it into mass production of miniature aircraft. The "real" or "full size" R3 does not exist, so whatever you make out of the miniature is exactly right.

• 2 weeks later...
The Dogfighter is finally completed, albeit 10g over the suggested AUW by MPX. This is due to the addition of a rudder servo and the extra weight up front to achieve the correct CG. The colour scheme is an amalgamation of decals from various MPX kits and some home made decoration from Fablon and all that remains now is to carry out the first flight. Typical that the weather has turned blustery!

• 4 weeks later...
I now have over 100 flights on my Dogfighter, easily the best plane i have ever owned, this one is close to perfect in my view. I have an EMAX 2815 - 1400Kv from Giant Cod, a 60amp Hobbywing Pentium ESC, and a TGS Sport 8X7 prop fitted also use APC 8 X 8, produces about 460 watts on fresh Lipos and is quite simply BALLISTIC, superb flyer.

I have had a Parkzone Wildcat ( Toylike) P47 ( Good Plane) and ME109 ( Great flyer but looked very second hand VERY QUICK) and this Dogfighter is simply no comparison to the Parkzone warbirds which are frankly dressed up trainers in comparison !!!

Posted by ceri shepherd on 19/10/2011 20:56:18:
I have an EMAX 2815 - 1400Kv from Giant Cod, a 60amp Hobbywing Pentium ESC, and a TGS Sport 8X7 prop fitted also use APC 8 X 8, produces about 460 watts on fresh Lipos and is quite simply BALLISTIC, superb flyer.

I'm using an Overlander Thumper V2 T3536/5 1450Kv outrunner, Black Mantis 85A ESC (BEC), APCe 9" x 6" prop and a Loong Max Tipple 3000mAh 3s LiPo. This combination pulls 43.3A (static) and produces about 472W (in). As the motor and battery are only luke warm after a flight, I guess the prop is unloading a fair bit during flight so I may try an APCe 9" x 7.5" for a bit more speed. Just for the sake of interest, an APCe 8" x 8" on this particular motor runs at 49.4A for a power 'in' of about 538W, but I doubt the vertical speed and acceleration will be improved over what I'm presently using.
As you say Ceri, ''it's ballistic'' with these sort of power levels and handles very well with the recommended settings in the manual.

Edited By Gumball on 20/10/2011 21:07:37

• 2 months later...
I have fitted the Multiplex Ultra tuning set to my Dog fighter, and as some one at our field remarked, "that thing is mental"
it is really fast but so controllable, roll rate is probably 3-4 rolls a second whilst going vertical at high speed untill it disappears.
It definately does not need the rudder servo, and has a viscious torque swing to the left on take off (hand launch). slow it down and it just stooges around like a trainer, so boring you just open the throttle full and off you go again.
all in all , once you remember to breathe a brilliant tough , fast huge fun machine, worth every penny.

Darryl

• 1 month later...

I have just completed the assembly of a Mpx Dogfighter and as I have fitted the optional servo for the rudder the c of g needs to come forward about 5mm even with the LiPo pushed as far forward as possible (without carving foam). I am thinking of replacing the very dodgy looking Elapor spinner with an alloy one and folding props. This will help with the appearance and the c of g!

The motor is the stock one supplied with the ready for radio kit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alloy spinner / folding prop combination to suit this model please? Details of suppliers would also be useful although I have already emailed the usual suspects...!

Pic of model will be uploaded to the pics in my profile if anyone is interested: I used decals from the RAF scheme supplied but without the horrible green camouflage 'bits' - I think it looks good with the dayglo tips and top cowl...

Jon

• 1 month later...

Going to "build" my RR version this weekend.

Any more stories to share from existing owners? I've heard about a massive torque swing on launch, but most of the videos I've seen do not seem to support this - and it seems a pussy cat at low speed.

Also interested in how people got on painting it - is the Elapor primer a must have?

Finally, I see that our American friends are putting up to 2KW in them. Crazy eh?

Yes launch at half power only - especially if you have the tuned set! Be ready to correct with aileron..probably best to get someone else who is a flyer to launch first few times (I did)

Set up the throws as advised and dial in 50% rates to start off with whilst you get the feel for it - don't forget some expo (~30%)

Doesnt really need the rudder option although I fitted it.

Watch out for the hinges cracking - mine have and I have had to repair with furry types.

Whilst not an absolute must I would advise you do use some primer if you are going for a paint job as the relase agent they use on the injection mould tools will eventually lead to tatty looking flaking paint.

Its fun but boy can it get out of sight quickly as it is only a very small model...

Enjoy!

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I guess the lead in the nose is a result of the rudder servo. I'm undecided on that. I love back to back stall turns - but hate adding lead...

As a solo flyer - I do not have the luxury of having a helper launch - so I'll just have to be careful.

I'm hoping it will be like a Formosa on speed. That got out of site very quickly as well.