Trying to find a flying buddy near me ... dont know modellers

Adrian Day

hey all im new to flying and need a place to fly near me in maldon near chelmsford essex
if you have the time or a place that i can get some flying time please post all the clubs i have looked into have said you need a buddy you know to fly if your new
i dont really know anyone in rc plane flying near me and i dont drive so its a pain...
Adrian

also if anyone else is looking for the same thing please post you lookings and near by address not in full that can be done in pm only

Edited By Adrian Day on 20/02/2011 01:37:59

Hello David
i looked on there and found a club in southwoodham ... i Emailed them and got a odd email reply .. saying that i can go and have a look but i would need to know someone in the club to get any flying time .. as they dont have any instructors as they are all of the over50's and have been flying a number of years .. it kind of put me off as it didnt seem that inviting the way that the email was put...

Hello Marko
thanks for the link will look that one up, i think i may know one of your members from a picture that was put in RCM&E mag ...the owner of the balsa cabin near me .. it said that he flys in chelmsford i dont know if its your club.. i guess there is only one!?

thank you both
BR: Adrian

Hi Adrian,
I may be wrong but where the people at the clubs you were talking to talking about you starting to fly on a buddy lead rather than you needing somebody else with you to go to the club?
This is a lead that connects your transmitter to your instructors transmitter which allows your instructor to take control fo your model instantly if you get in to difficulties. Just a thought.
Lee

that could also be a factor Lee not sure the email was a little strange ... worded very to the point and saying Adrian you wouldnt be able to fly less you had some one to fly with and that had the time to watch over you ...you would need to know a member.. ...as we currently dont have any instructors ..
thanks for you thoughts
Adrian

Posted by Adrian Day on 20/02/2011 12:50:35:
Hello David
i looked on there and found a club in southwoodham ... i Emailed them and got a odd email reply .. saying that i can go and have a look but i would need to know someone in the club to get any flying time .. as they dont have any instructors as they are all of the over50's and have been flying a number of years .. it kind of put me off as it didnt seem that inviting the way that the email was put...

Hello Marko
thanks for the link will look that one up, i think i may know one of your members from a picture that was put in RCM&E mag ...the owner of the balsa cabin near me .. it said that he flys in chelmsford i dont know if its your club.. i guess there is only one!?

thank you both
BR: Adrian

Hmm, yes not a very helpful email but perseverance pays off sometimes so it might be worth going along, saying hi and seeing if they can be persuaded to help.
Many clubs, sadly, aren't too hot on the old written communication front but friendly enough when you go aong to see them and show them how keen you are to fly or learn to fly.

Hi Adrian that doesn't seem to be a nice reply to a newcomer to this hobby. Your right the lad came with his granddad and passed his A at our club last summer ,very nice people at the Balsa Cabin l have been going there for years .

We have a policy at our club where you can bring your own suitable plane as long as its flyable "once we have checked it over " a safety thing , we also offer a buddy system anyone with A cert can buddy with you . you can also fly here 3 times before you need to join so if its not for you you haven't spent any membership fee

Come down and have a look!!!!!!!!

ps there are contacts on our website if your still interested

cheers..........................................mark

You need to check the BMFA clubs list for all the clubs in your area to find one that suits you and has instructors. Check out both Anglia Model Flying club and also Flambirds MFC which have adjacent sites. Note that one only allows 2.4 ghz ( due to the other club nearby ) so check carefully before buying any new equipment.  Also check which mode the clubs instruct on ( mode 1 -throttle right or mode 2 throottle left ) as you won't want to change mode once you have started.

Is Colin Bliss Models still in Maldon? ask them for a nearby club.

Edited By kc on 20/02/2011 15:47:21

David:
I agree there with the way that some people write things can sometimes be taken out of context ... and sometimes you can't tell if that person really wants to fly just by the small talk in email .. maybe i should give them a look and keep options open.. i also may be wrong but if you run a club and wish for your club to keep running and grow accordingly you would like mark said open the door with open arms with a grace period or even try to fly day / open day for new members.. ..i know emailing isn't everyones idea of communication but if you're the administrator then you have to deal accordingly not abruptly ... like your self fair and square pardon the pun..

Mark:

Thanks for the reply yes you're correct they're the ones i have only just found them even though I have been living here for years now.... they're very nice people polite and so i hear josh the youngest is a very good flyer.. Same as his granddad.

I may take you up on that offer of coming down see what the site is like Maybe ask a few people what its like . That may give me a good idea of what to expect ..
Is there anything that you need in advance before flying there ?
.I will go look at the site in a moment been a long busy day so not had the chance... I like the sound of the 3 flying before you buy in .. sometimes you just don't know if its right for you till you try by then the fees are paid ..

KC:

Thanks for your post
i will look them up have you flown at either of them at all? Or do you just know about them

yes Collin is still about but never sure about asking him anything i go in there on a weekly basis but dont like to ask him much only the basics ... Sorry to say he always seems a little to busy

many thanks to you all AD

Hello Marko: just been on to that site looking at membership and it says that there isnt any space for new memebrs is this still so? please could u when ever your next there ( please dont go out of your way) find out if this is so? memebrship page I looked at. i would be realy gratefull .. thanks for your help so far AD

Edited By Adrian Day on 20/02/2011 23:32:31

You wont really get much info about a club unless you visit and chat to the members. If you do that you will find most people very helpful except when they are busy flying or doing pre-flight checks.
No, I have not actually flown at Anglia or Flambirds, they are a little too far away for me. But I know people who fly or have flown there. I noticed the Flambirds field when I visited Stow Maries Airfield museum which is next door.
You will find that your local dealer takes more interest in you if you buy all your equipment from him! If you buy mostly elsewhere they tend to be too busy to help you fly.

Take note of what I said about mode 1 or mode 2. You want to fly at a club that flies your mode, for example if you get something in your eye you need someone to take over for a minute. But mainly because as you get on you may get an opportunity to have a go with someone elses plane if you fly their mode. ( flying someones plane is an honour you might get if you do really well and is the best compliment on your flying )

When training it's possible to use a buddy box and have different modes on each Tx, but far better to fly the same mode as everyone else.
Note that all club's membership year starts in January and often vacancies are available in Jan or Feb  but the club fills up later in the year.  So choose now and join the best club for you. 

Edited By kc on 21/02/2011 12:17:08

KC's right, most clubs are pretty friendly once you get to meet them. But vacancies can be a problem in some clubs. Having said that this is good time of year to ask because for most clubs the new membership year starts 1st Jan and they may have a few members who have not renewed and so have vacancies.

Go down to their flying site and introduce yourself. One time in a hundred you might not get a brilliant reception - would you want to join such a club? - but 99 times you will be made welcome. Just a bit of protocol to advise you - its not considered good form to speak to someone while they are actually flying or starting an engine etc. So just pick your moment.

BEB

thanks guys
KC:
I agree there KC about going there you cant tell something for your self till you have tried it sometimes you may just find its not right but with out seeing you cant make an informed decision
thank you for the warning about the clubs i didnt know any of that about either of them .

i currently have an old rc radio sanwa 6 ch mode1 that a friend has lent me till i get sorted its nothing special needs a new tx battery but it works for 5 mins to test with till i get a battery for it. (not a flying tx the way it is at mo) wish it was .. i may wait till i get into a club before making a decision on the new one was going to get a mode 2 futaba 6 ch but will have to look into it..

to BEB / KC: As for me going up and talking to the people well thats another thing im not the best a being forward .. i just stand about looking and taking in rather than walking over and opening conversations wish i could never been one for that ..

if someone was to talk to me then Im always polite and can chat for england .. if its something i know something about if not i just say and ask them for advice on it..

BEB i agree with you 100% if a club isnt welcoming then who would want to fly there i guess no one in their right mind...
have been chatting with Marko about looking in on chelmsford club he seems like a great chap to get to know .. and very welcoming.. as soon as i get the time i will look in as Marko is finding out about openings there..

i will pick my moment may ask Marko to meet there and see if he can introduce me to people i dont want to take up any ones time .. as time is never on our side..

THANKS all

Adrian, pop over to me, I'm near Rivenhall airfield in Essex, up the A12 a bit, and I will gladly give you all the tuition you need, I have plenty of free time for the next month at least, and then just a bit less after.I have permission by the landowner to fly there anytime I like.
The site is huge, and we will not get bothered by anyone else.

Drop me a PM if you are interested. I am a registered BMFA instructor too. Can you get anyone to drive you here? I don't mind picking you up if you want. You are not too far from me.

Cheers

Matt

Edited By Matt Halton on 21/02/2011 20:02:58

Thanks Flytilbroke
i guess your right there thats when the true model flyers come out ..

i have always been shy thought for someone of my age i should have grown out of it but im ok when i have some one i know with me i can chat to much but if i was to turn up and its me against who evers there i would just be the odd one out ..
Think its a thing of not knowing what to say or sounding thick what ever comes first when you have seasoned flyers who know 100000000times more

just have to get in and fly by the seats of our pants as the saying goes

Adrian,

I'll give you one infalable way to start a conversation with a modeller....walk up to him and his model and say....

"Wow that's nice", then just ask one question, take your pick from;

"what engine is that?" (if its ic)

"how many servos in that?"

"is it a kit or ARTF?" etc.

[By the way, some questions not to ask...

"How high does it go?"

"How fast does it go?"

"How much did it cost?"]

In years of modelling, I've never met a modeller yet that could resist telling you all about his "pride and joy"! 99.9% of modellers are only to happy to talk about their models to anyone who shows an intelligent interest. You'll be lucky to get away in an hour!

BEB

Hi Adrian, got your PM, yes no problem at all, just contact me when you are ready, and we'll get you flying!

It gets a bit boring flying alone,as I do, so would welcome the company!

IC or Electric no problem, but I don't have any IC starters etc as I gave up IC power a while back and sold it all.

I can let you borrow a dry cell 2.4 ghz system if that's any good to you?

All the best

Matt

Matt
thank you matt are you sure about all this help i know it must get boring i would be the same .. only good thing about flying alone is you can fly for hours with out any problem of people saying your hogging the runway. hehe..
im an ic flyer only due to the fact that i got a good deal on a training plane that come with engine and 5 servo's and the plane (name unknown) for just £15..

are you sure about letting me use your radio do you mind me asking what it is?
sorry to question ..its not everyday that someone is so trusting of someone they dont know

i am a trust worthy person and would do exactly the same thing as you
Adrian

Not a problem to me Adrian, I have a couple of sets left over from RTF models, 4 channel sets, but I remove the receivers and use Spektrum gear, so, essentially these sets are redundant, just TX and RX though, you are very welcome to use it, seems a waste them sat here doing nothing.

I think we have all we need to get your trainer going now!

Cheers

Matt

Thank you matt that would be great anything that gets things flying is all good
I would be gratefull if you could lend it to me.. it would hep me till i can afford to get one its only tx/rx i need as i have 2 models with servos and no tx/rx so if i can get one going its all good..
BEB
I agree with you there, Its nice to see such friendly welcoming and helpful people.. Im Sorry to say after the year I have had, I had lost faith in people's good will and kindness ...But since being on here i have seen a side to people i didnt thank existed..anymore

Thank you both