Blade 400

Gaz Elliott

Hi guys i understand that majority here are fixed wing but i know there are some air smasher gurus here also.
My problem is I recently bought some new carbon fibre blades (325mm) and tail blades along with carbon fibre tail stabs and a Union jack canopy. ( I wanted to bling up the heli)
I have used my blade on and off for the last 3 years and it has served me well. I still have the original servos inplace ( after much delibreation they have served well no need to up grade to hitecs in the end) I even still have the digital servo in the box ready to fit. My thoughts were don't fit it yet...it is flying don't upset the apple cart.
Well I have just fitted the new parts and noted several problems
1. there is a bit of a wobble/vibe at low end. ( balancing blades???)
2. A distinct noise change at top end. ( Blades need balancing??)
3. the heli will not lift off the ground at any stick position??

I don't think I put the blades on wrong. They are a little tight in the grips. However i returned the original blade back and still it won't take off. Strange as it flew last week no problems.
I do try to only change one thng at a time so as not to cause multiple probs. Any one any ideas . The woodies and parts have served well and i am truely delighted with this little heli . i now have the CX2, MCX, and MSR along with the skylifter.

Cheers guys

Advert

Part solution found.

I don't believe I have messed with the tx but on looking at it closer just now i noticed the symbol was the aero not heli??? further inspection revealed at the setting were well different. Hence the pitch curve and throttle etc were all incorrect. Lucky I still have the settings that Boggy gave me on another forum ( now he is here also) However the servos were reverse and all kind of strange things were going on!!!
Have returned them to the "boggy suggested setting and it is much better. still a judder on spool up but smooths out on 1/ 2 and now actually takes off. Now to return the new baldes back to the heli although they are a little tight should i sand them???.

hi gaz
the vibration that disappears at 1/2 throttle is a sign your blades may be slightly too tight.Hold the heli vertically by the boom with the blades spread out horizontally and give the heli a quick flick up. the blades should move out of position but not fold right up

if they are too tight yes you can sand them,but try and do both sides equally and keep them flat,not easy considering the small amounts involved.recheck the tracking afterwards

Ok i have fitted all and spooled up lift off ok but the tail chucked the rear rotar blade. Lucky i stand well behind. I was using a tipple 25c rated lipo instead of the eflite 20 c rated lipo would this be the cause or a faulty fitting of the blade or weak blade?

Gaz

The air smasher has done me proud for tha last 2 years and i have not had any real issues with repairs ( 1 servo gear stripped bought new gears x 2 and it has not happened since)

i use rockamp 35c on mine Gaz!. the battery wouldn't cause this. it has to be a split or defective blade/grip.Well done saving it once the tails gone its usually a rebuild!!

I have purchased new ali parts for tail grips and other bit that slides( technical i know)
from Midland heli today. I was unsure about the battery as it was the first time I had tried that battery so thought it was a possiblity. As for saving it well not really i was lucky it happen on throttling up. I am still using the trainning undercarridge. it is like a comfy blanket!!!!! I will take it off but it has saved me a fortune on blades and parts!!!!

Gaz...

Very lucjy to still have training legs on!! Absorbs a lot of abuse!!!

Be very aware though that when you take them off the heli will respond much quicker to inputs as it will have lost quite a bit of weight and dosnt have the benefit of the "tight rope walkers balance sticks" hanging around underneath!!!

You will get there!!

Unlucky with the tail blade!! If youd been at any height.................. Well you can guess!!!!

Dave

I am glad to report that it flies. i have also put the new ( Well bought 18months ago) tail servo on the digital futaba. The gyro did not like it when i set it to DS so i reverted back to standard an it works well. just need to adjust linkage as i needed a lot of trim on the rudder so will adjust linkage. Oh what a pleasure when things go right!!!!!!!
Cheers guys.
the settings i have are not as smooth and easy as i remember or maybe I am outta practice. I have increased the expo a little and that has helped.

The air will now be smashed!!!!

.Wooooooowwwwwwww,

i have just had a little fiddle as last night the heli needed almost full right trim on the rudder. i thought maybe the linkage was alittle diofferent on the new ali stuff i had put on the tail end. So i mechanically adjusted the rod below the boom. Still needed the same trim?????? I read the boggy guide and checked gyro. Guide stated 73 for gyro as i had heard some where that this could cause a twitch and wag. well I put in 73 and boy did it wag so I slowly came down to about 68 without wag. then i read the gain pot and saw + _ so i turn it anti clock wise to minus a little and now i have less trim and the heli sounds so much better. poss alittle more of a turn to minus and that should reduce the trim to zero. i did break the trim tab on the DX6i though bloody things are weak . thats the second one in 4 weeks. Heli is sweet not i can almost hover hands off!!!!!!!

strange Gaz and a weird coincidence,i set one up for a new guy today and his went wild at 73! i ended up at 70.my stock Blade is still set to 73 and solid!! my other with a 401 and hitec servo is at 65.

i have omitted to mention that the values should be used as starting points and may vary from heli to heli.(i will edit my guide accordingly )

Hey it was not a complaint. i am sure it does say that you should slowly come down til wag stops. But every heli is a little different due to wear and tear and probalbly the electrical bits are slightly different too!!!

Boggy you are the man that can when it comes to helis. i am 2 years a follower of the guide and i have had not major problems. As said befoere i will take the trg UC off soon . i only really fly the heli indoor and in the garden. i take may fl;eet of fixed wing and lipo /IC stuff to the patch. perhaps I shold take the blade more often.!!