Camshaft bearings (help!)

i12fly

I've got an SC 91 FS with rusty bearings including the camshaft bearings. (I know I should have been more careful on ebay, but when I received it I didn't examine it properly!). Now I've come to check it the engine is very gummy inside as well. I've heated it in the oven at 175deg as I would for a 2 stroke, and removed the main bearings OK, but the camshaft bearings seem like they wont move..... Can anyone advise the best way to remove them?

Advert

its not easy, replace the crank, and the crancase backplate, heat the engine case up, get a block of wood, bring the crankase down onto the opposite mounting lug to the bearing, replacing the bits and bobs is to reinforce the engine, so it does not fracture, even then, its a dodgy one, replace the camshaft cover, and do the same, pref when its still hot, dont forget the oven gloves

You really need access to an expanding puller/mandrell.easy to make and if you have a friend with a lathe its even easier This is inserted into the bearing then expanded and used to pull the bearing from its seating after heating. You can remove them with snug fitting piece of rod or screw gently tapped into the bearing before heating then used to pull the bearing out .I made an expanding puller for a stubborn OS 20 some years ago but generally use the screw or rod method unless I get a difficult one then the lathe gets switched on As Alan says tapping the case can cause distortion . Hope it helps .

The entire range of OS and clones up to the ASP/SC 180 use the same bearings for the camshaft so making a universal one should be straightforward!

I knocked up an expanding mandrel a few years back

...dimensions aren't particularly critical - the lip needs to be small enough to go in the space behind the bearing and marginally larger than the bearing inner diameter. The expanding rod is simply a piece of 3mm studding heated to red hot and shaped into a blob with a small hammer - then turned as a reverse cone to expand the puller end. You can lock it in place with the nut if you feel the need...

Hasn't let me down yet!

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/02/2011 15:00:15

Thanks very much for the help and advice, I'll have a go at an expanding mandrel. I got the main bearings today £8 for the pair from Derby Bearings and the counter staff were very helpful so I'm well pleased up to now. The engine could still work out to be a bargain?